Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:43 AM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,659 Posts
Discussion
GLB 250mm 'Alien Spider' & 'H-Shaped' CF Frames

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience / info on these frames.
I searched here but couldn't find anything. Apologies if I missed it.
Thought they looked interesting.

They're made of 2mm carbon but I'm wondering if they'd be too thin and weak in a crash? I'm mainly interested in the spider. The H frame doesn't seem to have anything to keep it square other than the center section?
(pictures are bigger on GLB)

Alien Spider
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/alien-spi...ter-frame.html

H-Shaped
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/h-shaped-...ter-frame.html

Soma is offline Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Soma; Jan 24, 2013 at 04:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:10 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
324 Posts
I have an Alien Spider on the way from GLB, I will try to report back when it arrives.

Does anyone have any info about FJYL (letter cut-outs on the quad frame)?
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:32 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah View Post
I have an Alien Spider on the way from GLB, I will try to report back when it arrives.

Does anyone have any info about FJYL (letter cut-outs on the quad frame)?
No, I searched that too, and found nothing.

I ordered one too, still waiting for it to arrive. I like the design even if it has weak points. I'm thinking of maybe borrowing some of the design elements for a scaled up version and asking Dialfonzo to cut it Definately extending the lower arm out to reinforce the motor mounts. Maybe a X8 spider

I have downloaded higher res versions of the pictures to update the first post with but haven't got back to it yet. Also different pics from the site below.

Also I searched "Alien spider frame" And found this...
http://www.thanksbuyer.com/alien-spi...er-frame-19749
Just another site selling them.

Bit of a mystery frame so far... Definitely keep us updated. (well I say 'us' but I think its just us two here )

Insert sound of Crickets.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:26 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,806 Posts
Hey Soma, cool little frame you've found. I've been looking @the spider style frame to build me an FPV quad for the summer.

I'm not crazy about the arm/motor-mount area because it is close to the X250 design which is quite weak and will snap there with a wee 2-3foot tumble.
However the weak X250 frame is made from glass-fibre... so the Alien Carbon Fibre frame should be quite a bit stronger.

I'll let you lads be the Guinea Pigs for the Alien frame. I'll be a-waiting for your build/reviews of it.

Thanks for reminding me of Diafonzo, he's local and his Mini Spider frame and Mini V-Tail frames are cool and Tuff looking. Plus, I still have to try and score me a DEX frame.. oy!
vpsporb is online now Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:31 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
Hey Soma, cool little frame you've found. I've been looking @the spider style frame to build me an FPV quad for the summer.

I'm not crazy about the arm/motor-mount area because it is close to the X250 design which is quite weak and will snap there with a wee 2-3foot tumble.
However the weak X250 frame is made from glass-fibre... so the Alien Carbon Fibre frame should be quite a bit stronger.

I'll let you lads be the Guinea Pigs for the Alien frame. I'll be a-waiting for your build/reviews of it.

Thanks for reminding me of Diafonzo, he's local and his Mini Spider frame and Mini V-Tail frames are cool and Tuff looking. Plus, I still have to try and score me a DEX frame.. oy!
That X250 looks tough there now mate

I think the Alien frame will be very weak at the motor mounts, I don't know if I'll even build this frame up. I was mostly interested in seeing the design first hand, and then scaling it up if the design had good elements. I think just extending the lower arm out past the motor mount will make it much stronger there.

It reminds me of the Quadrixette frames. But I like the way its flat cut, yet with the strength of double layer, and should have a fairly low air resistance?

I've been working on a few frame designs and hope to get Dialfonzo to cut them. I've been watching his new CNC with interest

I'd like to see this frame flying though, we'll see if I can resist
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:30 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,806 Posts
Heheh my "fixed" X250 frame can take a wee tumble now, I just bend the motor-mount Alu brace straight again after a wee bounce.

The longer arm-brace mod of the Alien frame is a good idea and looks do-able
with it being the lower-arm rather than the upper-arm like with the X250 frame.

I haven't decided on an FPV frame yet, so I'll be interested in your musings in that area. and yes.... DiaFonzo's new Red Ano. CNC does look amazing! and with the ability to cut CF now... It's almost overwhelming to think that you can commish. a custom frame from scratch.

Hmm looking over to my right... I see a plexi-frame that I've been procrastinating on... that Bambu Classic quad frame really should be my next build project.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:35 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
324 Posts
@ Soma

I had seen the other site also, but I haven't had any experience with them, so I went with GLB.

I did however appreciate there extra photos...

Name: sku-19749-2-600x450.jpg
Views: 85
Size: 105.5 KB
Description:

Name: sku-19749-1-600x450.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 101.6 KB
Description:

I also tried to Google YL (letter cut-outs on this frame) to no avail.

I think I may also use nylon spacers like in these photos, to provide a breakaway, and hopefully spare the more valuable carbon fiber pieces.
Last edited by heli-yeah; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:07 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,659 Posts
Hey mate,

I didn't notice those other pics had nylon spacers. I downloaded all the pics and I can't find them now to update post #1 They'll be somewhere.

Good idea to use nylon, I think you're right on thinking that it might save the CF.

Cheers!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:36 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,659 Posts
Just a quick update. Received my spider frame today and it looks quite good.

Weight as delivered with metal spacers just less than 73g.

The frame comes assembled, is stiff and seems quite well made. I think its real carbon. I had trouble getting a reading with a multimeter but I think my lead was dying. It certainly is stiff for the amount of material there, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt at the moment. One thing of note is the screw mounts are odd on the front side of the FC mount Its a long screw through the top plate, threaded spacer, 2 frame plates then into another threaded spacer. I'll show pics later.

The material is strong but I still have my doubts about the strength of the motor mounts.

I'll weight the CF parts and hardware seperately tomorrow to see the difference.

At the moment I think this frame, if not perfect in its current form, certainly is a design with potential

*Updated post #1 with the bigger pictures from the websites*
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:37 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
324 Posts
Unfortunately, I had to contact GLB last night, as I have not yet received a shipping notice. They responded by saying it would be shipped later today... Looks like I will have to wait a while longer before I see mine.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:04 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,806 Posts
The frame sounds nice Soma, it should be quite stiff with the Alu. spacers.. a bit heavier than nylon but I'd prefer Alu. for rigididty.
I'm quite suprised it was pre-assembled, my X250 came in baggies of parts.

I've decided to order a molded carbon Dex Micro hull for a weather/waterproof quad frame. It's the best solution for Canadian winters.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:09 AM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
The frame sounds nice Soma, it should be quite stiff with the Alu. spacers.. a bit heavier than nylon but I'd prefer Alu. for rigididty.
I'm quite suprised it was pre-assembled, my X250 came in baggies of parts.

I've decided to order a molded carbon Dex Micro hull for a weather/waterproof quad frame. It's the best solution for Canadian winters.
Okay, okay, wait just a minute... So where did you find a Dex quad?

You have to link it please, I have been looking high, and low for a dealer of them, with stock.

Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:03 AM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
324 Posts
GoodLuckReceive???

Still waiting for my frame to show up...

Now that there holiday is over, hopefully it will arrive in the coming days.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:24 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,659 Posts
Man that is taking a while! Fingers crossed it will arrive soon.

I haven't had a chance to get to mine yet. Need to make more time.

Good luck mate!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:01 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah View Post
Okay, okay, wait just a minute... So where did you find a Dex quad?

You have to link it please, I have been looking high, and low for a dealer of them, with stock.

Thank you in advance!
Oops so sorry, I lost track of this thread... and just found notify in reply options.
If you still need a frame, can PM DEXX (Denis ) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1372462
or email: dex@dexmodels.com He's a great guy, and it's an awesome super light frame in carbon fiber.

Sorry for the off-topic and pics Soma.... i just xcited with my new baby!