HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:19 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Discussion
DX6i Backlight mod done!

Can you tell I am happy?

Finally! I love my DX6i, but reading the display and not having the ability to read it under sunny days well, or at dusk, really sucked!

I have some photos of the 9X backlight kit I got from HobbyKing. These are $5, and well worth the $$. My DX6i is a great radio, and having used it with many of my models, I wonder why Spektrum left a backlight off the unit in the first place! The 6i TX is sometimes all one needs to fly a 4-5ch plane.

Took about 30 minutes total. I had to epoxy my display due to the issues with solder tails left too high on the circuit board preventing the use of hot glue easily or double-sided sticky foam tape. As you can see in the photo below, the display is crisp and clean - finally! Spektrum better start to add this as a feature in ALL radios moving forward. No excuses.

Notice I also added a swiveled extension for balancing the radio better using my neck strap, and wider thumb stix. both work well, got them off eBay.

DX6i Backlight install using the $5 Turnigy 9X Kit (18 min 35 sec)

This video is 18 min long, and the fellow does an excellent job of showing how to do this mod. not hard, and only one solder position to make work!! I highly recommend this. All one does is to remove the jumpers off the bottom display board, pull off the TX module, remove the display and put the 9x display under the glass display. Affix however you can, and BINGO!

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Jan 05, 2013 at 12:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:43 AM
Australia, VIC, Narre Warren South
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
Sky Cadet

Thanks for the video. Have been holding off, but after seeing your video will order kit ASAP. Your right DX6I does everything most RC pilots will ever need. More isn't always better. The one thing missing was back lighting.
old crasher is offline Find More Posts by old crasher
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:22 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Crasher,

YES. It is a superb mod, not too difficult (now that I have done one!)

The only thing to watch for, that I ALMOST paid dearly for, is the vertical positioning of the screen and light panel. MAKE SURE that it is in line with the top of the board, or even maybe 1mm higher. I put mine 1.5mm lower, and the screen bottom JUST fit when positioning the board back on the mounting posts. The curvature of the base of the radio inside limits the degree of tolerance there. If I had gone lower than 1mm more, I would not have been able to mount the display board properly, and since I used epoxy... well, enough said.

Also, take care when removing your connectors from the sockets. Mine were VERY tight, I used a blade screwdriver to carefully rock the connectors loose. The video shows this to be easy, but mine were VERY tight. I also color coded mine to be on the safe side with some colored markers.

That guy's video was SO good, I could not see me doing any better. Good luck, and let me know how you make out! Cheers, mate!

Happy New year!

SkyCadet/Darren
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:24 AM
United Kingdom, Wrexham
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Hey Darren,

Nice video. Glad to see you still have the Super Dec flying. Weather is improving so time to get mine back out. I also have a DX6i and keen to mod the lcd. On another plus note Hobbyking have opened a UK warehouse and they stock the 9x backlight kit for a little over 3. BARGAIN!!!

All the best

Ashley
plane_spotter is offline Find More Posts by plane_spotter
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:13 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Hi Ashley!

Happy new year! Nice to hear from you...

I can only take credit for SHARING the video... I did not produce that one. You definitely should do the mod! It's awesome.

Cheers, and happy flying

Darren
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!