SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:03 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Question
Please Help on CAD Software

I'm wanting to turn some of the free\paid cad drawings on sites like turbosquid etc into drawings similar to this here with the F4 so I can do some fuselage plugs

What 2d or 3d application should I use?

I need it to be simple as possible and fast start

Thank you VERY much in advance for your input
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:25 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2002
921 Posts
CAD software

I been using Delta Cad for all my simple drawings. Its fairly inexpensive. The good thing about it is if have an old version of ModelCad it had all the airfoil drawings and Deltacad will import them right in. Not sure but I think the cost is $35.00. It doesn't do 3D.

Larry E.
LJE4357 is offline Find More Posts by LJE4357
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:35 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,751 Posts
Hi erh7771,
If you want to make a plug think about just blowing up those cross sections on a printer and have at it. Plenty of planes get built that way. Just look at some of John Morgan's work.

If you want to learn CAD so you can make plugs I would recommend Rhino. There's plenty of folks on here who use Rhino so when you have questions you can ask folks who understand what you're trying to do. Rhino ... some basics is a good thread to look at.

Rhino is a little pricy for the standard license but they have an educational discount so you can get it for $190.00. I have several kids who are teachers and I ended up getting Rhino for $150 from one of the on line distributors and they didn't bother to ask for proof.

BTW, if your focus right now is to get that Phantom built you might want to take a close look at this thread. Devmonkey is still active on RCG but I don't know if he still has that CAD model as shareware. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Dan Eaton
eatond is online now Find More Posts by eatond
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:12 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatond View Post
Hi erh7771,
If you want to make a plug think about just blowing up those cross sections on a printer and have at it. Plenty of planes get built that way. Just look at some of John Morgan's work.

If you want to learn CAD so you can make plugs I would recommend Rhino. There's plenty of folks on here who use Rhino so when you have questions you can ask folks who understand what you're trying to do. Rhino ... some basics is a good thread to look at.

Rhino is a little pricy for the standard license but they have an educational discount so you can get it for $190.00. I have several kids who are teachers and I ended up getting Rhino for $150 from one of the on line distributors and they didn't bother to ask for proof.

BTW, if your focus right now is to get that Phantom built you might want to take a close look at this thread. Devmonkey is still active on RCG but I don't know if he still has that CAD model as shareware. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Dan Eaton
I've heard about Rhino and it sounds like it's something to look at.

I'm trying to get the formers for an F18 super hornet plug but that's like a find a needle in 6 haystacks so I'm going to try and learn a good cad program that I can use forever.

I don't have long though, about a week...if I can pick it up around that time to get the formers than that would be fine...

You think someone can be functional with Rhino in about a week?

regards
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:56 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,751 Posts
Hi erh7771,
Go to Rhino and download their free trial. It's fully functional but you can only save 25 times. That should give you a feel for how comfortable you will be learning Rhino.

Regarding the Super Hornet plug, I haven't seen many drawings of the Super Hornet so you may find that a tough one to do. There are drawings of the legasy Hornet available and even some free 3D CAd models available on the web.

Dan Eaton
eatond is online now Find More Posts by eatond
Last edited by eatond; Jan 06, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJE4357 View Post
I been using Delta Cad for all my simple drawings. Its fairly inexpensive. The good thing about it is if have an old version of ModelCad it had all the airfoil drawings and Deltacad will import them right in. Not sure but I think the cost is $35.00. It doesn't do 3D.

Larry E.
Will delta cad do the former looking pieces too?

regards
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:36 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Any CAD program is capable of drawing formers if you know how to use it. Learning any cad program worth using in a week is wishfull thinking.

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:51 PM
San Diego Gillespie Field, California, United States
Joined Apr 2003
121 Posts
I agree with Dr. John, It'll take you 3 months to learn the basics of the CAD software. I suggest SolidWorks or ProEngineer, many military contractors use these.
Ogre is offline Find More Posts by Ogre
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:39 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Do anyof those programs have a get started or a hello world type starting point to them? I work as a computer engineer
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:56 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
or you could go for the freebie version of Sketchup. I have found it to be difficult to learn, but with the right plugins installed, anything is possible with it. worth a look at anyway.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:29 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,900 Posts
Yes, I had previously gone looking for cross sections of the Superhornet and never did find any. Sounds like you're in the same boat.

If you are starting from scratch, perhaps this technique might help? I researched plastic models to find the most accurate rendition of the F-22 Raptor in 1/48 scale. I bought it and then captured accurate section shapes by draping solder wire over various stations. Then I placed these on my scanner and enlarged them all by 4.3 and printed. Obviously the "inside" of the resluting image was what I was after.

This would get you formers quickly and accurately (and you probably will want a plastic "reference" model anyway), but I do appreciate that it is not the method you were after.

Helpful at all?

tn
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post
Yes, I had previously gone looking for cross sections of the Superhornet and never did find any. Sounds like you're in the same boat.

If you are starting from scratch, perhaps this technique might help? I researched plastic models to find the most accurate rendition of the F-22 Raptor in 1/48 scale. I bought it and then captured accurate section shapes by draping solder wire over various stations. Then I placed these on my scanner and enlarged them all by 4.3 and printed. Obviously the "inside" of the resluting image was what I was after.

This would get you formers quickly and accurately (and you probably will want a plastic "reference" model anyway), but I do appreciate that it is not the method you were after.

Helpful at all?

tn
might be, spark plugs and urine come to mind at this point and this looks less dangerous
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:39 PM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,362 Posts
Sketchup is the best way to start. It is free and is known as the easiest to learn 3D CAD program there is. If you decide later on that Sketchup isn't good enough, it will be much easier to learn another program like Rhino.

Sketchup has a library of free models you can download from, called the 3D Warehouse. There are at least 4 different Super Hornet models in there (I just checked). You can extract cross sections from a Sketchup model in a few minutes, once you know the steps.

There are also thousands of free Sketchup video tutorials online, and a free forum that is very responsive. Expect to spend some time to develop enough skills to do something useful though. There is a lot to learn...
BillO is online now Find More Posts by BillO
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:24 PM
Colorado
Joined May 2003
755 Posts
I would like to know where that F4 drawing came from. I wish all three views of airplanes had that many cross sections.

John Boren
John Boren is offline Find More Posts by John Boren
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:27 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillO View Post
Sketchup is the best way to start. It is free and is known as the easiest to learn 3D CAD program there is. If you decide later on that Sketchup isn't good enough, it will be much easier to learn another program like Rhino.

Sketchup has a library of free models you can download from, called the 3D Warehouse. There are at least 4 different Super Hornet models in there (I just checked). You can extract cross sections from a Sketchup model in a few minutes, once you know the steps.

There are also thousands of free Sketchup video tutorials online, and a free forum that is very responsive. Expect to spend some time to develop enough skills to do something useful though. There is a lot to learn...
Thx...it looks like there's a lot of free drawings with it too..

What is the link for the models?

regards