HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:50 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
Question
Need Help with a Spektrum Radio Buddy Box Question

I want to run my 8 year old son on a buddy box on 3 different airframes and then eventually move him over to an independent radio without spending alot of money.

I have 3 Spektrum Rx's and was wondering if I could use a DX6i as the master Tx, and use a DX5e as the buddy box. Can I use this set-up with multimodels, or does the DX5e limit us to just one model?

You help is appreciated!
gabrielisrael is online now Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:38 PM
K_B
1D Flyer
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Sep 2012
114 Posts
All you have to do is set up each model on the DX6i and make sure the trainer feature is active for each. The model's trims, expos, dual rates for each are set by the trainer transmitter (DX6i). The trainer switch only relinquishes stick control and that's really all it's used for.

You may have to mess with servo reversing, but I doubt it.

EDIT: According to the manual, the slave transmitter (DX5e) must have the same settings at the master (DX6i). So apparently, you'll have to re-trim and and re-adjust expo, servo reversing and dual-rate on each model. Lame!

When I've done training with the DX7s/8, all the trims and such are controlled by the master radio and all you have to have on the slave is a model saved that has no programming set (in the case of the DX6i) or I just plugged in the DX5e and done.
K_B is offline Find More Posts by K_B
Last edited by K_B; Jan 04, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:13 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
According to the Dx6 manual, all you should have to do to use it as master and the Dx5 as slave is to leave the 5 turned off and plug your trainer cord into them. Presto, you are ready to go. With any buddy box set up you will need to check that the trims and servo directions on each transmitter match. Just pull the trainer switch and check that everything stays the same. Adjust the slave (Dx5) as needed.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:16 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
Thanks K_B.

So if I understand correctly, a DX7 would be able to use either DX6i or DX5e with no setting changes

or...

Should I be using a DX7 Tx Master with a DX6i blank, and the DX7 will control all the different settings

I would like to be able to have a Master Tx with 3 models I have for my son to fly without having to make any expo, trim or dual rate changes on the Slave (ie Buddy Box)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:27 PM
K_B
1D Flyer
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Sep 2012
114 Posts
I know for a fact that the DX7S or DX8 will run a DX6i with no setting changes, as that's what we've been using most recently. I've used the DX6i to the DX5e awhile back, and I do vaguely remember having to re-do the trims and such, now that I really think about it.

I also vaguely remember having to re-do settings when using a DX7S/DX8 with the DX5e. They sure don't make it convenient to use the trainer function on a budget.

A buddy has a DX5e laying around; I'll probably do a test with it this weekend to make sure I'm not feeding you bogus info about using the DX5e. But the DX7S and the DX6i combo works like a charm. I've even managed to make expo/dual rate adjustments on the fly (no pun intended).
K_B is offline Find More Posts by K_B
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:41 PM
Joined Dec 2009
111 Posts
Several years ago when I got back in RC planes I had two DX6I and you had to match the settings in both as the DX6I does not have the programming as the DX7s or DX8. So if you are going to use the DX6I and DX5 you will need to match the setting of the DX5 to the DX6I. The DX5 does not have expo and has two settings for dual rates. If you go with the DX7s or DX8 as master I think it will just take over the sticks of the DX6I or DX5.
jstern429 is offline Find More Posts by jstern429
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:31 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
thanks K_B, hope you can test over the weekend... that would be great!

I am curious if the 5e slave will allow dual rates and expo to carry over from the master radio even if the 5e does not have these capabilities in and of itself.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
Keep in mind that the Dx5 is not a computer radio, so it does not have the functionality of the 6-8. I have a 5 and 8 and use the 8 in programmable master mode with the 5 as slave. I just double check the trims before flying which is good preflight practice whatever buddy system you are using.
I don't quite understand the OP's concern about this as it is not a big deal and takes less than a minute to complete!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:46 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1960 View Post
Keep in mind that the Dx5 is not a computer radio, so it does not have the functionality of the 6-8. I have a 5 and 8 and use the 8 in programmable master mode with the 5 as slave. I just double check the trims before flying which is good preflight practice whatever buddy system you are using.
I don't quite understand the OP's concern about this as it is not a big deal and takes less than a minute to complete!
Trim is fine. Can I get buy then with a DX6i Master, or do you think I really need the DX7 or 8 to use with the DX5e?

I use an HiTec Aurora 9 for my 3D planes and am not familiar with running a buddy box and just want to get it right. Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:03 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
I think you will be fine with the 6 as the master and 5 as a slave. Hook it up and see how the control surfaces react(on the ground). Also, be sure he communicates his throttle position so you can keep pace for when you take over.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:20 AM
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
I think you will be fine with the 6 as the master and 5 as a slave. Hook it up and see how the control surfaces react(on the ground). Also, be sure he communicates his throttle position so you can keep pace for when you take over.
What he said!
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:33 PM
Joined Dec 2009
111 Posts
Yes the 5 & 6 will work together, but you are limited to the programming in the DX5 (DR 100% & 75% and no EXPO). The DX6i does not have the same trainer programming that just takes over the sticks in the slave radio like the 7&8. You need to match the programming in the DX6i to the DX5 and then all will work.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern429 View Post
Yes the 5 & 6 will work together, but you are limited to the programming in the DX5 (DR 100% & 75% and no EXPO). The DX6i does not have the same trainer programming that just takes over the sticks in the slave radio like the 7&8. You need to match the programming in the DX6i to the DX5 and then all will work.
The way I read the DX6i manual, using the 5 as a slave requires no "programming match" unless you are talking about matching trims. My experience is that the 6 does take over the sticks in the same way as the 7 and 8 althought the 8 can be programmed to pick and choose functions if you want. For the OP to do what he wants with his son, all he needs to do is plug the two together, check trims and go. The 5 does have limitations on D/R and no expo which could be resolved by using the 6 as the slave and 5 the master, but then the 5 has to be bound to each plane in turn which was what he wanted to avoid.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Dec 2009
111 Posts
Well here it is right from the manual:

Master:
The transmitter can be used as a master but the slave transmitter must have the same programming (i.e. reverse,
travel adjust, dual rates, mixes, sub trims, etc.) as the master.

Slave Mode:
When using the transmitter as a slave with another DX6i, itís necessary to match all the programmable settings (i.e.
reverse, travel adjust, etc.)

When used as master or slave all programming needs to match in both transmitters. Seeing that the DX5e is not a computer radio and cant be changed the DX6i will need to be matched to the DX5e in order to work. Both transmitters can be used a slave or master, but neither transmitter has any "Trainer programming". What decides weather a given transmitter is slave or master is at what time you plug in the trainer cord. If used as master you plug in the trainer cord with the TX power on and as slave you plug in the trainer cord in with power off, that's the only way either radio knows weather its master or slave.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:38 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help.

It looks like the best thing is to get a DX7 as the master where it will control everything on the slave. So a slave could be a DX5e.

Do I have this correct?

Then when my son moves beyond the trainer box, his radio would be the DX7.
RCG Plus Member