Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Discussion
Land Based FPV System (what's best)?

I have been actively reading and digesting as much FPV information as possible (yep - Newby) and would like to ask the Forum the following question:
"What is the best system (and economical*) for a land based (rc tank) FPV installation and operation?"
Here's some of the parameters:
a) 2.4 TX/RX systems (mostly using DX TX's)(may have up to 30 users at a time in any 1 battle),
b) Small size (1/16th scale tanks),
c) Not well ventilated installation (can get hot with poor airflow),
d) Excellent reception up to 100' to 150',
e) Upgrading to Turnigy TX,
f) Headtracking is not required,
g) OSD not required at this time (I need to create/hire someone who can build a simple OSD with cross hair reticles, speed, direction, battery status, etc),
h) Micro camera (pin camera) that can be mounted/hidden in the mantle of a barrel (can you set the lens on a fiber-optic cable?)

I REALLY appreciate your advice! I usually just jump into a new project and waste time and money....., but there seems to be a great community here with an incredible breadth and depth of knowledge.

Thanks!
tjs
tsull is offline Find More Posts by tsull
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:24 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,296 Posts
How many tanks will be FPV? You can only realistically get a handful of them working together.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:41 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Alex- he mentioned something like 30 tanks..

tjs- you wont be able to have that many tanks operating, at least not FPV. There arent enough open channels we can use.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Normally, there's about 8 to 10 tanks per side (20+-). Is the FPV TX's operate similar to a 2.4 RC TX (frequency hopping)?
tjs
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:16 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,382 Posts
a couple of guys are playing with that technology, but you can consider it unavailable at this time.

There is essentially

1 -2 channels available on the 900 mhz frequency

2 channels available on 1.3ghz

Not sure but I think 1 channel on 2.4ghz

and it seems like about a half a dozen or so on 5.8ghz

that is just an aproximation. I would have to research it to give you a solid answer on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsull View Post
Normally, there's about 8 to 10 tanks per side (20+-). Is the FPV TX's operate similar to a 2.4 RC TX (frequency hopping)?
tjs
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Ouch!
Thanks for the help! With what I have in mind (and using the current 5.8ghz tx), it will likely take 2 years to implement. Hopefully, by that time, frequency hopping will be available.
Do you have any suggestions for a TX and RX (5.8ghz) system for a land based FPV?
For viewing, it will need a monocle type of display. I've been looking at different systems, including using an optical enhanced HD small (under 2") screen that can be positioned from a hat/carrier and placed in front of one eye. This will display the cannon's aiming reticle while allowing the player to still see and orient with his other eye. There's some incredible optical engines coming out for translucent displays - going to be too spendy...
The RC tanks fire an IR beam at opposing tanks. When hit, the tank has a sensor that accounts for the hit. With a FPV aiming reticle and the cannon's high intensity flash and sound as viewed from the gunner's perspective, it will add an incredible dimension to RC Tanking.
Plus, they don't crash into little pieces over and over (ex helicopters....).
Thanks,
tjs
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
PS: I've been reviewing the open DIY OSD threads....
Technically, I'm pretty good at figuring out things - but I believe that designing an OSD for cross hair reticles, speed, direction, battery status would be TOO MUCH.
If you know anyone interested??
Thanks again,
tjs
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:44 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,451 Posts
Try 15 Chanel fox 250 mw 1.2 video tx

900 15 channel also

As well as 2.4
And 5.8

You should have no problem driving around 20 tanks

Sit everyone away from eachother with stock whips up high above heads

You can buy them in bulk order from china and smuggle them into your country via mail and small orders

Customs will not check small orders, but will stop and not let into country large orders that are detected at boarder

So smuggle video Txs in small amounts into country

Dino dirrect sells cheap

Hobby king however is best cheapest and they help smuggle video Txs into country by not telling what is inside package, hk makes smuggling easy
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:46 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2008
374 Posts
How fast are these tanks? If a little lag won't be a deal breaker you could look into wifi webcams. I have done large deployments of IP cameras I think you could get 5-10 webcam feeds over one network with not to much lag at 640x480 15fps (check out axis ip cams).

Then you could use smartphones or tablets as displays.

Lots of variables in trying to do something like this but it is possible just not cheap
charlienofun is offline Find More Posts by charlienofun
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:15 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,382 Posts
I would think that "lag time" would be a deal breaker with targeting.

One thing is for sure, that you will use every possible frequency with 20 tanks running at once.

I think most 2.4 transmitters would have a rough time with that many transmitters running at once.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think that would just about max the spectrum of most transmitters...

however, where there's a will, there's a way.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, but you will have to do your homework on this one.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input!
As with most new ventures - this will take some time to configure, build, modify, replace, try again and finally get it right! And redo it again...
I think the TX/RX multiple users will eventully sort itself out as there seems to be so many systems out there and more coming on line. By the time the actual system is installed and operating correctly, it will then need to be "sold" to the tanking community. I truly believe that this is what is missing in the RC Tank hobby - the ability to actaully site in your enemy and fire in first person. There's a lot more that can be applied, but this is the basic "must have" part.
The 2 physical items that don't exist yet is a OSD that is designed for the tank. With the DIY/Open source OSD information, this will take some work - but is not impossible. The other physical item is a small Head Mounted Display that can be worn on a visor and flipped down to view the aiming reticle and fire. Somewhat like a military monocle.
It's going to be a great project!
PS: we have a lot of experience with the IR shooting and hit sensor systems. Although I don't fly anymore, would it be of interest to build a system for air combat? The hit sensor system could be very simple and when hit, it could momentarily disrupt the motor and by tying it into the RX, wiggle the plan in flight or something.
Hmmmm, that has me thinking.... I might have to repair my last TRex.
tjs
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:14 PM
United States, TX, Ennis
Joined Feb 2013
83 Posts
I have a FPV KV-1 Heng Long tank I have been modifying for about 1 1/2 years now.

a) TK20E Receiver Board
b) Futaba FUTK4200 4YF 2.4GHz transmitter & R2004GF receiver
c) 900MHz 500mW transmitter with 5dBi omni antenna
d) Oracle Diversity Controller with 2 x 5dBi omni antenna receivers
e) 2 very bright IR LEDs for night vision
f) 7.2v 5000mAh battery

I have gone 670 ft. from base so far. After return trip battery is exhausted.
Just upgraded to Taigen (Asiatam) metal hull with bearings.
I think I can go further now since tank has bearings but have not tried yet.

I have tried 1.2GHz & 2.4GHz transmitters and receivers.
I prefer the 900MHz transmitter for going around obstacles (better reception).
EmperorSki is offline Find More Posts by EmperorSki
Last edited by EmperorSki; Mar 02, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:52 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorSki View Post
I have a FPV KV-1 Heng Long tank I have been modifying for about 8 months now.

a) TK20E Receiver Board
b) Futaba FUTK4200 4YF 2.4GHz transmitter & R2004GF receiver
c) 900MHz 500mW transmitter with 8dBi whip antenna
d) Oracle Diversity Controller with 2 x 8dBi whip antenna receivers
e) 2 very bright IR LEDs for night vision
f) 7.2v 5000mAh battery

I have gone 670 ft. from base so far. After return trip battery is exhausted.
Just upgraded to Taigen (Asiatam) metal hull with bearings.
I think I can go further now since tank has bearings but have not tried yet.

I have tried 1.2GHz & 2.4GHz transmitters and receivers.
I prefer the 900MHz transmitter for going around obstacles (better reception).

Nice!
Love to see some videos!
Bluestreak007 is offline Find More Posts by Bluestreak007