SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:57 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,323 Posts
I just wanted to say what an outstanding job on the review FyreSG. Very informative and great video's.
As with most it looks like it get's the smoothest quality of video when flying extremely slow. Have you tried flying it really slow in order to get good smooth video and then speeding the video up in editing to see how it looks?
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:45 PM
Ukraine, Crimea, Bakhchysarai
Joined Mar 2012
1,554 Posts
I would also recommend open source converter ffmpeg - the best ever. ffmpeg can convert everything into everything. I run it in FOR loop to process many files with one command. It can add music, cut and concatenate video files etc. I don't know what I did without it. Thousands of files get processed automatically unattended.
asanovrus is offline Find More Posts by asanovrus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:26 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanovrus View Post
I would also recommend open source converter ffmpeg - the best ever. ffmpeg can convert everything into everything. I run it in FOR loop to process many files with one command. It can add music, cut and concatenate video files etc. I don't know what I did without it. Thousands of files get processed automatically unattended.
That's the other thing, these cheap cameras make HUGE files as they are terrible at compression. I have a couple cheap cameras that make a decent picture but the file sizes laugh at CD-ROMS and exceed DVD bit rate. I have been using VLC to recompress these files but to be able to cut and paste and add music would be nice. Nothing fancy needed.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:39 PM
Ukraine, Crimea, Bakhchysarai
Joined Mar 2012
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
That's the other thing, these cheap cameras make HUGE files as they are terrible at compression. I have a couple cheap cameras that make a decent picture but the file sizes laugh at CD-ROMS and exceed DVD bit rate. I have been using VLC to recompress these files but to be able to cut and paste and add music would be nice. Nothing fancy needed.
those cameras do compress video but with big bit-rate(10mbps) just to allow good snapshots. when video is compressed stills are impossible. as cameras designed for shaky shooting big bitrate is saving frames. it is your job then to make whatever you need with ffmpeg or other converter. say you have video file 2013-1-8.AVI. to find its bitrate type:
ffmpeg -i 2013-1-8.AVI
you must see smth like:

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '2013-1-8.AVI':
Metadata:
major_brand : qt
minor_version : 537331968
compatible_brands: qt CAEP
creation_time : 2012-12-29 21:04:57
Duration: 00:00:09.92, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 30603 kb/s

it says that bitrate is 30mbps! no DVD can handle that bitrate. so you type:

ffmpeg -i 2013-1-8.AVI -b 3000K mynewfile.mpg

and you get mynewfile.mpg with bitrate 3mbps. file reduced 10 times. to add music to that file(if it has no sound):

ffmpeg -i mynewfile.mpg -i LinkinPark.mp3 myfinalvideo.mpg
if music is longer you need to cut it with -t key.

the only disadvantage is that ffmpeg is command line tool, most Linux video editors use it for their job. I really enjoy flexibility(I can specify audio bitrate, resolution, etc). It actually allows me to cheat youtube to make video look better as it normally spoils your video.
asanovrus is offline Find More Posts by asanovrus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:43 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,783 Posts
Have a v959 in the mail..
Next step fpv it and change the camera to HD
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Great review, thanks. I just got mine in last night My first quad.

I was having trouble with trimming and getting it to elevate without it banking to one side or the other. Can someone explain what the % settings do?
chatelainjw is offline Find More Posts by chatelainjw
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:30 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
I just wanted to say what an outstanding job on the review FyreSG. Very informative and great video's.
As with most it looks like it get's the smoothest quality of video when flying extremely slow. Have you tried flying it really slow in order to get good smooth video and then speeding the video up in editing to see how it looks?
Thanks. Good idea. I'll try that for my next video. But it wouldn't be realistic, would it? I like realism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatelainjw View Post
Great review, thanks. I just got mine in last night My first quad.

I was having trouble with trimming and getting it to elevate without it banking to one side or the other. Can someone explain what the % settings do?
Did you ensure you power up on a level surface and leave it alone? When you increase throttle to get it off the ground, apply throttle gradually and gently. Mine flips when throttle is applied too quickly. Is this what you have encountered?
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:36 AM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Yeah, I go slow, wasn't about to make any 'sudden movements' after waiting almost a month for the thing to come in the mail :P

I put the battery in, then put it on the floor (level) and then powered on the controller. How long do you have to let it sit level and plugging in the battery?
chatelainjw is offline Find More Posts by chatelainjw
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:08 PM
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
I have a 929, 939 and 949. Since I have a Hoten-X which carries a #16 808 wide angle camera without any problems, I not sure it would be worth my while buying a 959. I would really like a aerial platform with a quality video at the 959's price range. As cheap as the 808s are, why can't these people put a similar camera on their quads and small helis? The attached video is the Hoten-X with the 808 attached with velcro to the top of the hull.

Hoten X Quadcopter Over Sarabeth Lane (5 min 39 sec)
Raycamaro is offline Find More Posts by Raycamaro
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1,783 Posts
I will be putting a 808#16 v2 lens D on my v959 at least I hope to.. And fly fpv + take HD footage...
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Dec 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raycamaro View Post
I have a 929, 939 and 949. Since I have a Hoten-X which carries a #16 808 wide angle camera without any problems, I not sure it would be worth my while buying a 959. I would really like a aerial platform with a quality video at the 959's price range. As cheap as the 808s are, why can't these people put a similar camera on their quads and small helis? The attached video is the Hoten-X with the 808 attached with velcro to the top of the hull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QmPX7swk1M

If you mount that camera better and below the props, it would be perfect. The canopy is probably vibrating and causing the jumpy picture. You could probably make a landing gear camera mount for your Hoten...
Tomofono is offline Find More Posts by Tomofono
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:50 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,586 Posts
Additional Modules / Attachments

The additional modules are on sale now at BG:Looks fun!
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:08 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,783 Posts
Are the motor sizes, gearing and props of the v959 the same size as the v949?

The weight is much more so I am wondering how the extra lift is achieved then?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Hi guys, I am the lead developer of MLT, which is the engine that powers OpenShot and Kdenlive video editors. I only recently took an interest in aerial video when I started seeing YouTube videos esp. FPV, which can only really be experienced. So, I got myself a Ladybird V2 for Christmas and already broke it trying to learn to fly inside the house and in the backyard too close to the house. I ordered another and it will arrive today. But perhaps I should have bought this V959 or the Hoten-X with a DICE cam. Oh well, at least I have Ladybird spare parts for when I break this one while trying to learn to fly - in a spacious park with grass this time!

I just noticed you guys mentioning OpenShot and Kdenlive and wanted to send you a thanks for the mentions. In addition to MLT, I used to make Kino and have contributed to both OpenShot and Kdenlive, more so Kdenlive. But keep an eye out on my new project Shotcut, which aims to take the lessons learned on all of those and provide something cross-platform and ready-to-use.
ddennedy is offline Find More Posts by ddennedy
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:17 PM
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomofono View Post
If you mount that camera better and below the props, it would be perfect. The canopy is probably vibrating and causing the jumpy picture. You could probably make a landing gear camera mount for your Hoten...
I'm looking for a camera mount for the Hoten-X. Compared to the previous video with the same camera mounted on my X-350, the video looks great.
Raycamaro is offline Find More Posts by Raycamaro