SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:17 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I think the included charger is good for any similar lipos. None of them have any protection circuitry that I know of
Well .. surprised the heck out of me too . My pic on post #14. The 18650's types are always marked if they have protection circuitry, but these batts had nada.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...atteri+protect

Cheers ..
TayNinh68 is offline Find More Posts by TayNinh68
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:57 PM
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayNinh68 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the spacer requirement. How long do they need to be?

http://www.zorotools.com/g/Metric%20...acer/00092393/

I better bookmark this myself They've got 2, 3, 5, 10 and 15mm. by 3.2mm ID.

Cheers ..
I can't tell you the length, but I can definitely point you to a much cheaper and easier solution:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1821591

(personally, I use WD-40 straws, but that's simply because I had a couple handy and don't have any Capri Sun )
GRTWHT is offline Find More Posts by GRTWHT
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:00 PM
7AC
Central Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
403 Posts
V959 Short Video

.youtube.com/watch?v=UFcZ7AEWZD0

The above is a short video taken from my new V959. I couldn't get it to embed in this post.
7AC is offline Find More Posts by 7AC
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:32 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayNinh68 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the spacer requirement. How long do they need to be?
I think a 3mm spacer is sufficient. But I'm using a plastic tube of a pen.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:32 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7AC View Post
.youtube.com/watch?v=UFcZ7AEWZD0

The above is a short video taken from my new V959. I couldn't get it to embed in this post.
Down the Path V959 Video (2 min 58 sec)

FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:29 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRTWHT View Post
I can't tell you the length, but I can definitely point you to a much cheaper and easier solution:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1821591

(personally, I use WD-40 straws, but that's simply because I had a couple handy and don't have any Capri Sun )
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I think a 3mm spacer is sufficient. But I'm using a plastic tube of a pen.
Thatís the way I think too, why get complicated

Same with any light plastic container, or package (that could be a canopy!)

Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:27 AM
Ukraine, Crimea, Bakhchysarai
Joined Mar 2012
1,554 Posts
I think what stock camera of v959 needs is a lens hood. I'm going to attach some plastic plane peaces. My question is about some props that were discussed here. Are they longer then stock or have greater pitch?
asanovrus is offline Find More Posts by asanovrus
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:55 PM
7AC
Central Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
403 Posts
Frye, Thanks for getting that video up! 7AC
7AC is offline Find More Posts by 7AC
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:31 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,785 Posts
OK finally had a nice day to try the 959 with the camera, we had sleet yesterday. It was windy today, but I fly my MQX in conditions like this all the time. So I gave it a shot:

WL Toys V959 first video windy day (0 min 0 sec)

What a piece of garbage! My MQX would have eaten this wind for breakfast. I had 80% rates on which should have been enough, but apparently the controller was so busy countering the wind that there was no additional headroom for my controls. I got this for the camera, and I think it will be nice on a day with low wind.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:24 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
986 Posts
I recieved my 959 last week but winds were 25 to 30 mph and not able to fly until yesterday. I flew in my smallish backyard with some trees along the fence line. The Temp was 34F and winds were 9 to 12 mph by wind meter. Aviation weather said wind was 10. The big canopy acts like a parachute when the quad is stoping forward motion raising the front. Downwind flight covers distance much faster. Throttle needs to be increased gradually to compensate for downward press on the canopy. This makes handling interesting in and around low haning tree branchs. Windy conditions made for nauseating AP videos trying to maintain position. I am going to jury rig some new canopies with flow through vents and see if that helps any.
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:14 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle ben View Post
I recieved my 959 last week but winds were 25 to 30 mph and not able to fly until yesterday. I flew in my smallish backyard with some trees along the fence line. The Temp was 34F and winds were 9 to 12 mph by wind meter. Aviation weather said wind was 10. The big canopy acts like a parachute when the quad is stoping forward motion raising the front. Downwind flight covers distance much faster. Throttle needs to be increased gradually to compensate for downward press on the canopy. This makes handling interesting in and around low haning tree branchs. Windy conditions made for nauseating AP videos trying to maintain position. I am going to jury rig some new canopies with flow through vents and see if that helps any.
Wow I never thought about the canopy as being the problem, but I am sure you are correct.
I may look into that too, also re gluing the lights back in was getting old too thinking of putting them on frame.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:50 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
OK finally had a nice day to try the 959 with the camera, we had sleet yesterday. It was windy today, but I fly my MQX in conditions like this all the time. So I gave it a shot:

http://youtu.be/gv19-hLKIJc

What a piece of garbage! My MQX would have eaten this wind for breakfast. I had 80% rates on which should have been enough, but apparently the controller was so busy countering the wind that there was no additional headroom for my controls. I got this for the camera, and I think it will be nice on a day with low wind.
I was shocked to realize tonight that my V939 handles the wind better than my
V959. It could be the canopy also it may be that the motors.
The motors for the V959 are different than the V929 & V949. I will find out in about 3 weeks just hit the buy button tonight on a BNF V949. I am hoping it will fit the gap between my V939 AND V959.
Broke my first boom tonight, maybe should have just bought spare V959 parts.
Lost SD card last night do to wind and crash.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:47 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,783 Posts
V929 and 959 hybrid :

FPV with V929/V959 Hybrid (8 min 4 sec)

The v929 frame and the fc of the 959...
With an auw of 86g including HD camera and fpv..I think it's the best setup I have flown so far
ArchillesElbow is online now Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Last edited by ArchillesElbow; Feb 18, 2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:55 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack View Post
I see in the video both worked, you took the V959 farther out was it because it felt more stable in wind? Did wind conditions change.
So what are your thoughts?
Actually I was testing another 2.4ghz antenna on the v929 at the same time... The results where not that good.. So I didn't want to chance the risk of taking it out further and loosing rc connection the wind conditions where about the same.. Very light...
In general the v929 is much more agile and has the punch to get out of a situation (wind, obstacle, bad throttle management etc) the v959 is more stable and gives a great picture of an object but lacks in the depts mentioned above...

So I made a hybrid v929 and 959.. And to me that seems to be the best compromise between the two sets of features .l if u look at the video clip I posted just now.. I am agile to fly pretty quickly and with agility around obstacles.. As well as keep that tower in frame from pretty high up as well as the cat in frame for a long time.. Quiet close up... Ps when I landed the cat proceeded to think the quad was a bird
ArchillesElbow is online now Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:07 PM
Ukraine, Crimea, Bakhchysarai
Joined Mar 2012
1,554 Posts
that was not the cat inquisitive How about removing wide angle converter? video is perfect but if remove those props from the frame can it still be that smooth? and what were the props by the way, stock?
asanovrus is offline Find More Posts by asanovrus
RCG Plus Member