SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:23 PM
Canada
Joined Jun 2009
434 Posts
Help!
Spring/string tail set-up

This will be my first string/spring set-up, I've been reading through the Stobel threads, and am wondering if anyone has set-up their tail surfaces to fold over 180 deg. if the string fails or is released?

Good idea or bad? My thinking is it would effectively neutralize the control surface and not set the surface to an extreme position, full up elev. or full right/left rudder.

As long as this does not cause de-lamination and the spring is capable, it seems sound or am I missing something?

Thanks
Paul Harvey is offline Find More Posts by Paul Harvey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:31 PM
Come out swinging
San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
2,661 Posts
If you put a huge bend in the spring, it will fold over to 180. This may also stress the servo. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If you use the right line, it shouldn't break anyway. I have not had any breaks after years.

It's a good idea to be safe though. I find most failures occur on launch, if you lose the rudder or elevator on launch your probably toast anyway.

Sean
sporter is offline Find More Posts by sporter
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:17 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,756 Posts
It would take way to much spring tension and would stress the hingeline .

Consider this. If you use spectra line [research knots though] you will never ever break the line. If you want a good trick for reducing friction /wear on the line. Buy a package of those very cheap beads the kids use for necklaces. they have a flared hole and can be used for anti friction turn arounds and such .
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:56 PM
a.k.a Frank Campbell
Long Beach, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2007
738 Posts
Or you can use wire instead of string. I use .3 mm (.012 in) or .015 in wire. Available in your LHS
VintageFan is online now Find More Posts by VintageFan
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:46 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,561 Posts
Thin "E" guitar strings works good too if the music store is closer than the hobby shop. You can get an 08 size string for about 99 cents.
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich