HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by slowflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 21, 2001, 01:24 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Mr. Moderator, a question....

Are there any rules/guidelines as far as how an item is sold? Is it considered sold to the first person to respond to the thread? Or to the first person to e mail the seller?

Should we have a guideline governing this or leave it to the discretion of the seller?

I have even been confused on this issue when selling items. I sometime get multiple e mails and also multiple replies on my threads at the same time.

I would just like to have a fair way of doing this... Opinions?---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2001, 02:21 AM
USA, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2001
238 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Two cents and MORE!

Here's my two cents on the subject. I suspect that your post will elicit many more comments.
In my humble opinion, an item should sell to the first person who meets the conditions of sale, or arranges mutually agreeable conditions and forks over the money.
I'm always quite amazed by some sellers who have the attitude of "Sorry, I can't accept your money because someone got to me first, and they are trying to put the money together.... and I expect to hear back from them...." Similar amazement over buyers who whine about having made the first response (perhaps a question or clarification), only to complain when another buyer steps up and forks over the money.
Unless you have special reasons (a friend, established customer, etc...) it is not dishonorable when selling to simply state that the person who first makes arrangements with you to buy the plane and pays for it gets it.
Since we're on the subject of conditions of sale, I'd like to note my favorite peeve - free shipping in the lower 48 states. Mind you, I don't object to anyone in the lower 48 getting the free shipping. What I don't like is the second-rate citizen attitude that this portrays toward people in Alaska (don't know about Hawaii, so can't comment on their situation...) Living in Alaska I know that the US Postal Service provides excellent air service from the lower 48 states to Alaska, and at rates that are similar to shipments within the lower 48 states. As an example, this summer I purchased an X-Models Falcon (2 meter hotliner) from a place in NY state. It was sent USPS priority airmail and insured for a total cost of $11.55. Would it have been really any cheaper to send it to, say, Washington state or California? I doubt it.
It USED to be expensive to ship to Alaska - 20+ years ago. But not any longer, so PLEASE - when you advertise something for sale with shipping included, include Alaska in the offer. If that isn't possible, at least allow us to pay the difference between the most expensive lower 48 rate and the actual cost of shipping to us. This is an issue of fairness.
Thanks all!
MaxFx is offline Find More Posts by MaxFx
Old Nov 21, 2001, 05:27 PM
Madison Ms. USA
Joined Jan 2000
614 Posts
FWIW,
I always try to remember to put my e-mail addy in the ad and say,
E-mail me at: xxxxx
Sligh is offline Find More Posts by Sligh
Old Nov 21, 2001, 06:17 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Trader Rating: 191
The way I do it

Is whomever contacts me first and says they will take it AND makes arangements to pay for it gets it.
I look at the time the post was made or email received. First come first served.
Many times I have posted saying I was interested in something only to lose out to someone who said " I will take it" My loss. You snooze you lose!
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Nov 21, 2001, 07:26 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,123 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
I have a limited experience buying and selling online, but I try to treat the buyers the way I wished the sellers would've treated me!

When I'm selling, I always post photos online and are available to all with the initial ads; this reduces many questions. I will then take the first "I want it at your price" (or, if a reduced price deal is reached- same thing) as a commitment to buy. I will then put them on notice that I will hold it for 7 days pending receipt of funds and ask them to alert me when payment is sent.

I don't consider a "I want it pending the answer of this or that question" as a firm commitment to buy. If someone else steps up in the meantime with a firm commitment to buy, they get it.

Anyone who comes after this, I let them know that they are 2nd, 3rd, etc. in line pending the receipt of funds in the first deal. If seven days comes and no payment is received, number two gets it pending payment receipt in 7 days and so on.

Believe it or not, it has happened where the potential buyer said on Friday, "I want it, but first I need to know... " then went away for the weekend without saying anything, then got upset on Monday because I sold it to someone who stepped up with cash on Saturday!

I will also notify the buyer by email when payment is received and when it is shipped (with tracking number). This way I know when they receive it and who signed for it, and they know it's shipped and can follow it's progress. No stories, no lies.

When I'm the buyer... Well, let's just say not all sellers are this courteous. I've even had a seller strongly request that I email them when payment is sent, but didn't care to honor my request to let me know when payment was received or merchandize shipped.

To answer your question regarding the times from muliple posts/emails; all are time stamped. Most saavy buyers will do both; send you an email and post a notice, "Sent a message, check your email."

The early bird gets the worm; the snoozer's a loser!
Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Last edited by Daren; Nov 21, 2001 at 07:37 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2001, 08:13 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2000
308 Posts
I will not be buying, or selling on here if the CR@P does not stop. I reply to ads a few minutes after it is posted, and don't even get acknowledged. What's the point of wasting my time trying to contact someone over, and over again. Very few people even update their post if it is sold. Ridiculous!
tripster is offline Find More Posts by tripster
Old Nov 21, 2001, 08:30 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Trader Rating: 141
That's funny. I've bought and sold a ton of stuff here. I've never had these problems..
..a

Quote:
Originally posted by tripster
I will not be buying, or selling on here if the CR@P does not stop. I reply to ads a few minutes after it is posted, and don't even get acknowledged. What's the point of wasting my time trying to contact someone over, and over again. Very few people even update their post if it is sold. Ridiculous!
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Nov 21, 2001, 08:39 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Trader Rating: 38
The first acceptance of terms that gets to the seller from the buyer, be it in an email, or a post here, should get the item. I advise doing both, just to be sure.

I have only done a few deals, but have had no trouble.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 21, 2001, 08:55 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2000
308 Posts
Must just be me. Have a funny feeling it's because my profile says I'm from Canada. I have been ripped off by 2 sellers from the US, and I still deal with your country. If people think that dealing with me is a risk just check out my Ebay feedback. 90% US deals. Anyways both our dollars will be combined in the next 5-10 years. No worries then. Until then I will continue tohopelessly email responces for ads with no hope for a reply. Think I need another coffee. Sorry you had to get involved, I have just been getting peeved at this over the past week. BTW when did you hit 10,000. I bet Nov.15.

Mike..
Old Nov 21, 2001, 10:37 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Trader Rating: 18
On the add I just placed, I got an email notification on every post. So I sold the item to the first person who answered for my price.
I did have one oops, and crossed 2 sellers with the same item. I apologized for that right away too! It was just minutes on some items.

I am guilty of saying lower 48, but have not used it before. Since I am in Ca the shipping to HI and AK would probably be the same. But even the USPS is getting expensive!

No one in the USA, any Ezoner (or anyone else really!) is a second class person.

All my deals on the Zone have been very good!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Nov 21, 2001, 11:44 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
Trader Rating: 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Bronk
All my deals on the Zone have been very good!
Duh, Fred. Who's dumb enuff to burn a cop?
...and a BIG one at that...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Nov 22, 2001, 12:39 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
Trader Rating: 102
Andy & Fred:
It's great neither of you have had problems. I wonder if it's because you're both moderators?
Last week a seller emailed me back with a "Deal" message. I sent him a money order (his request) and when it arrived he emailed me "Sorry, I sold it to someone else for $5.00 more". He then PayPal'ed me the money back. That deal COST ME money (cost of money order/postage).
Then 2 days ago I emailed a seller, telling him I'd pay his price. He wrote back, saying we had a deal, but gave no other details. I asked how he preferred to be paid and how did he plan to ship. After 2 emails in which he failed to answer either question, his fourth email said the item was sold to someone else (not an ezone'er).
Please don't mis-understand me - I truly believe virtually ALL ezone'ers are great. I've had very satisfying experiences. But bad deals do occur - 2 for me in one week!

Maybe I'll see if I can get Fred to "negotiate" for me......I think he may even live close by.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Last edited by Mauilvr; Nov 23, 2001 at 12:40 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2001, 01:14 AM
S.F. CA, USA
Joined Jun 2000
88 Posts
Trader Rating: 5
If I sell an Item then the first person that confirms they will buy it and we agree on the type of payment will get the item. Even if the next guy shows up at my door 5 minutes later with cash I will honor the first deal I made.
If you make an agreement to sell, then stick to it. Otherwise in my opinion your a jerk.
Magnaflux is offline Find More Posts by Magnaflux
Old Nov 22, 2001, 09:08 PM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
Its all going to boil down to first come first serve. Agreeing to sell an item to someone and then turning them down because someone else made a better offer is very underhanded. As for the emails or the posts, you will have to decide who got to you first. As for me when i want to buy something from someone i usually post it and then immediately send them an email, just in case. Just be sure and check the box at the bottom of the posting screen that will automatically send you an email when you get an offer. Alot of people will try to beat the others to the punch and send you an email direct, hoping you will read it before checking your post. That again is still for you to decide which one got to you first. Another good thing to do is if you receive several good offers on your items email the first 2 or 3 and let them know that you already have a potential buyer but if the deal falls through they are next in line. I think this is only common curtousy and it helps make you a better trader in the long run. People appreciate it when you email them back and let them know something instead of leaving them hanging out in the open without a hint or clue. Another thing now that i think about it would be for Ezoners to delete their own posts when they have sold an item, or send me an email and i will. This would cut down on alot of traffic in the forum. I think most Ezoners are doing well with their Ebay postings since i asked them about it. If you have more questions please feel free to email me anytime. Thanks Ray

P.S. Sorry for the late reply. I was out of town on a hunting trip and just got back today. And the area where i hunt doesn't have internet access.
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Last edited by raythomas; Nov 22, 2001 at 09:11 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2001, 09:36 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2000
308 Posts
Thanks for the tips Ray. Any luck?? Moose?Deer?
Closed Thread