Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:43 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Nice Horten. Looks like you used drag brakes to provide yaw control. The 229 has long been one of my favorites.

Got more info on that?

Andy
Andy,
here is the full build thread. It took 4 months and 14 days from paper to first flight, and the entire kit was hand cut as well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1731896
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:02 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Here's my first balsa scratchbuild, sort of. Well, everything but the wings, which I acquired at a swap meet the other day -- ten bucks for a box containing four wings (one mildly damaged.) The main longerons were laminated from 1/8" x 3/8" strips and formed into curves before setting down the ribs, etc.

The next "challenge" is to fashion some wedge-shaped shims for the wing roots. The original fuselage has a classic Katana (or Edge, or Extra) profile, wide in front and narrow in the back. I have a plan...
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:18 PM
Stevephoon
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined Oct 2008
125 Posts
Lots of great looking planes here! I always have loved seeing the structure of planes. This is a great idea for a thread.

Picts attached are:

1. Stevens Aeromodel Daddy-O
2. Mountain Models Firestorm
3. Mountain Models P-51
4. DJAerotech Chrysalis 2M-E

Steve

Also picts all covered up...
slabuta is online now Find More Posts by slabuta
Last edited by slabuta; Feb 17, 2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Today's creation... replacement fuselage for a well-known ARF. A flying pal gave me a wing, so I'm building the rest of the plane to go with it. This is my first "three-dimensional" fuselage from scratch.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:09 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabuta View Post
Lots of great looking planes here! I always have loved seeing the structure of planes. This is a great idea for a thread.

Picts attached are:

1. Stevens Aeromodel Daddy-O
2. Mountain Models Firestorm
3. Mountain Models P-51
4. DJAerotech Chrysalis 2M-E

Steve

Also picts all covered up...
Gorgeous covering on all those models, Steve. (Even if it's a thread about "bones" pix.) How do you like flying the Firestorm? Light pattern plane kits are rarer than hen's teeth.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:01 PM
Stevephoon
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined Oct 2008
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Gorgeous covering on all those models, Steve. (Even if it's a thread about "bones" pix.) How do you like flying the Firestorm? Light pattern plane kits are rarer than hen's teeth.
rafe_b,

The Firestorm is the one plane I bring with me eveytime I go to the club field. It's a great plane. I've only been flying for 4 years, but I've been practicing the NSRCA Sportsman and Intermediate sequences. The plane has no problem with the maneuvers, but I'm still strugging with the stringing the Intermediate sequence together... It's also the easiest plane to land. It just goes exactly where you point it, very flat, and slows to a crawl when landing.

Steve
slabuta is online now Find More Posts by slabuta
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined Aug 2010
258 Posts
Dynaflite FlyBaby

This will probably be the last nude shot you will see of the "Flying Babe". I have the finish sanding, lots of covering and painting on my schedule. I have added a pix of the "real" plane. It is in South Africa.
JohnSH is offline Find More Posts by JohnSH
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:58 PM
Western New York
Joined Sep 2008
29 Posts
Craftair Mystique

First balsa build in over 20 years - a Craftair Mystique that I picked up on eBay.

Chris
chrisudy is offline Find More Posts by chrisudy
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:00 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,359 Posts
For those that aren't following my thread..

Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
41 Posts
LT40 in progress.

GaryHarris is offline Find More Posts by GaryHarris
Old Mar 01, 2013, 12:12 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
713 Posts
Hello all,

I have enclosed a couple of photos of the Smith Mini Plane which I have been working on for the past few years. I enjoy building, howerver, I have a tendency to have more than one project going at any given time. Since I do not have that much free time availalbe, the projects tend to take longer than they should.

The plane started from a SIG kit, but I ended up redoing the upper wing completely as well as the fuselage. I reduced the size of wood used quite significantly with the hope of saving weight: The longerons are 1/8x1/4 spruce rather than 1/4x1/4. The spars were also changed to 1/8x/14 rather than the 3/8x3/8 that the plans called for. The side sheeting was taken down from 1/4 to 1/8 and from 1/8 to 1/16. Some thought was needed as I kept the fuselage exterior dimensions as shown on the plans. In the end, I saved about 4 oz or so. Not a whole lot given how much extra time was invested. It was fun however.

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Last edited by viva_peru; Mar 01, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:57 PM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,071 Posts
hey guy's here is my naked wood. Plans built side pocket. Rcm 83 if I remember right. Pattern trainer sport plane. Phil
mrshea is online now Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:43 PM
United States, VT, Townshend
Joined Jan 2013
46 Posts
Can I post a see through iron on covered model? it looks just as good but it flies....
jonahlkoch is offline Find More Posts by jonahlkoch
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:03 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahlkoch View Post
Can I post a see through iron on covered model? it looks just as good but it flies....
It's supposed to be naked wood, not see through lingerie.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:42 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,811 Posts
And here all this time I thought this was a family site. Now a thread dedicated to nude airplanes

Yes I did make a post here by accident. I thought this was the medical thread where you showed the innards of your plane.

Ken

kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition