Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:02 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Discussion
Vacuum bagging pump cheap?

Hi all,

Quick question, would this pump do for vacuum bagging?

http://shop.wiltec.info/product_info...fm---10Pa.html

It's just for me to have fun with.

I'm not sure of the requirements for bagging? Do I need a 2 stage pump? Does it need a minimum rating?

Cheers, Tom
Sarboy is offline Find More Posts by Sarboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:30 AM
Joined Feb 2008
77 Posts
The pump should work without a problem. It is rated for continuous use when vacuuming down fridge equipment. You may find it noisy however. I personally use an old fridge compressor with an adjustable vacuum switch so that it does not have to run continuously.
The cheapest way to start is with a small hand pump.
Bartplus4 is offline Find More Posts by Bartplus4
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:29 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Ohh, I like the sound of that.

The wife likes it when I can say "so I was going to buy this expensive pump but look what I bought instead! Cheaper and I get exercise."

Er, could you point me in the direction of a hand pump and I guess I'll have to have a NRV in line somewhere?

Cheers.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:42 AM
Israel
Joined Jan 2005
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarboy View Post
Ohh, I like the sound of that.

The wife likes it when I can say "so I was going to buy this expensive pump but look what I bought instead! Cheaper and I get exercise."

Er, could you point me in the direction of a hand pump and I guess I'll have to have a NRV in line somewhere?

Cheers.
Hand pump is the way to go, at least in the beginning, I bought this one:
http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16177 and using it for over a year.

My bags are the ones that used for cloth storage with vacuum cleaner The sealing is good.

Dani
Dani123 is offline Find More Posts by Dani123
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:58 AM
Joined Feb 2008
77 Posts
The hand pump in the link above will pull a good vacuum on your bag. It will take a few minutes however of vigorous pumping to evacuate all the air from the bag before you start to pull a vacuum. If you get a good seal on your bag you will have to operate the pump about twice every hour to maintain a good vacuum. You will find very similar hand pumps on Ebay.
Bartplus4 is offline Find More Posts by Bartplus4
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:50 PM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Cheers,

Looks like hand pump is the way to go. 1/4 of the price of an electric one.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined Oct 2006
76 Posts
My advice to someone who wants to start vacuum bagging would be:

1. Convert an aquarium pump to a vacuum pump and start bagging. This is cheap and works very well.
2. ...but only pulls ~5" Hg. Eventually you might want/need more. Buy a hand pump and you can pull as much vacuum as you need.
3. ...but you'll spend a lot of time tracking down leaks or pumping by hand. Eventually you'll want/need something that can pull >20" Hg, and can run continuously. That's when you need to look at a continuous-use pump / refrigerator compressor / regulated system with a vacuum switch / etc.

I don't think people appreciate just how far you can get with a simple/reliable system pulling at least 5" Hg. You don't *need* more than that unless you are using thick mylars, doing extremely dry layups, or infusion.
MarkRebuck is online now Find More Posts by MarkRebuck
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:21 PM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Ok, where do I source Mylar from? I can't find it anywhere.

And how do I convert an aquarium pump?
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:30 PM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Found this link.

http://garage-shoppe.com/wordpress/?p=109

I have a spare pump might do some DIY.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:24 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,497 Posts
Regulated vac supply system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarboy View Post
Found this link.

http://garage-shoppe.com/wordpress/?p=109
Sarboy,

That looks worth remembering. I have bookmarked it for future ref.
It would still need a regulation system. That is, unless you want it to run continuously. Not good for the pump etc.

However, I built a very reliable fully regulated and adjustable vacuum system for $2. I did already have the vacuum guage, which would have cost around $20 here, and much less in the US I'm guessing.
Mine will supply vacuum at anything up to around 28 inches indicated, which is good for vacuum resin infusion. Most times, I use it at around 1/2 bar, (15 inches), for bagging etc. I have pics somewhere here on the forums if you are interested.

Mine is based on a throwaway fridge compressor and auto vac advance diaphragm unit. Some various springs, fitting etc.
It has done sterling service for around 5 years now and I use it a lot.

If you are an experienced handy type and like to scrounge and re-cycle junk etc. this is the way to go I suggest.

Jim.

edit: That hand pump looks really good too Dani. What does it cost? I could not find out on the website.
Note that as has been already indicated, either the pressure would have to be monitored and the vac topped up in use, or you will need perfect bags and sealing etc. It can be done, but it also can be very difficult to find small leaks. A challenge for first time vac baggers I would guess?
I still like it, for it's simplicity I guess. I know that one or two others on these forums use them, or similar ones.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jan 06, 2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: see edit.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:32 PM
Israel
Joined Jan 2005
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson View Post
Sarboy,

edit: That hand pump looks really good too Dani. What does it cost? I could not find out on the website.
Note that as has been already indicated, either the pressure would have to be monitored and the vac topped up in use, or you will need perfect bags and sealing etc. It can be done, but it also can be very difficult to find small leaks. A challenge for first time vac baggers I would guess?
I still like it, for it's simplicity I guess. I know that one or two others on these forums use them, or similar ones.
Hey
If I remember correctly it was around 40$ of ebay, here you go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Actron-Hand-...187880&vxp=mtr

I guess there are similar products with various uses, just search for "hand vacuum pump" in ebay and see the results variety

There are some challenges with this pump, but it actually served me well.
I usually evacuate the air with vacuum cleaner and use the hand pump to achieve the vacuum, so not too much pumping is required.
Regarding the bags, they have pretty good seal, if I pull around 15" in the evening, it drops to around 8-10" in the morning, so I top it up, the gauge in the pump is very useful.
In addition, the nipple on some bags gets open at 20"+ vacuum. Curiously enough if you put it back, you can again achieve pretty good vacuum of around 15"-18".
I had nice results with this one, I've attached some pictures. But now I want to upgrade and looking for a setup with more vacuum pull and automatic cycling. I would be very interested in seeing your setup, maybe I can follow and build something similar, so feel free to post instructions or schematics

Thanks, Dani
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:23 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,497 Posts
Dani,
I just did a quick search and could not find pics of mine, sorry. I will look again tonight.
However, I did come across a lot of threads on DIY vac systems.
Search the composite forums under vacuum and you will find all the reading you will need I think.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:23 AM
Israel
Joined Jan 2005
138 Posts
Jim
Did my search last night both here and on the web. It looks pretty straight forward, but one thing bothers me. Is there a way to avoid the oil spill/mist/collecting when the pump works? Can it be set as to run in closed loop?

Thanks, Dani
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:23 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani123 View Post
Jim
Did my search last night both here and on the web. It looks pretty straight forward, but one thing bothers me. Is there a way to avoid the oil spill/mist/collecting when the pump works? Can it be set as to run in closed loop?

Thanks, Dani
I don't understand either of your questions Dani. Where would or might the "oil spill/mist etc. collect? I run the output of the pump to the outside of the shed to avoid the oil smell if that is what you mean.
Closed loop???

I don't think so. Elaborate please.

edit: I've done a search since writing the above and found this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=vacuum
See posts # 14 & #18
Fascinating reading!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jan 08, 2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: see editc.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:30 PM
Israel
Joined Jan 2005
138 Posts
Hey Jim

Thank you for that link, there in post #14 the guy talks exactly about what I was referring - an oil mist entering the vacuum line. Looks like everything is figured out there. Now I just need to find me an old fridge compressor.

Thanks, Dani
RCG Plus Member