Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:45 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
mrforsyth - Your original sentence:"Very true on nominal voltage. However, one must use the worse case voltage that is presented to a device in order to get an accurate assessment of power consumption."

That's when I said: " Voltage has more to do with Amp draw and little to do with power consumption."

I've noticed several power supplies with multiple input current rating for different input voltages.

If you are seeing lower range voltages then most likely you are 'at the end of the line'
Yes voltage drop applies to the power company too. In our area you would see ~125V near the substation and more like 114V on a hot summer afternoon at the end of the line.
That's at the meter.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:10 PM
Joined Feb 2008
97 Posts
Here are my results with 2 12V Deep Cycle Batteries in series.
With this setup i charge 22 times my batteries and still have spare power for more charging.

2 channels @ 20amps (43Amps) from deep cycle batteries. Do some one think i can get 40 amps per channel with this setup ?

I don't have more Lipo batteries to make the test.
Nelvick is offline Find More Posts by Nelvick
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:36 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
you are 'at the end of the line'
Story of my life.

Incidentally, I dug up my overall charge system efficiency measurements and found the following:

iCharger 306B / 24V HP server combination: 73.0% total efficiency when charging 3S packs at 30A.

iCharger 306B / 12V HP server combination: 72.9% total efficiency when charging 3S packs at 30A.

Turnigy Mega 400W / 12V HP server combination: 61.4% total efficiency when charging 3S packs at 20A.

These numbers will likely get worse when charging 6S packs at full output due to additional copper losses.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:59 AM
Norway
Joined Jul 2008
55 Posts
Are people happy with this charger? I'm debating getting this or a second PL8. I love the balansing on the PL8, I can charge 2x 6S 5000mAh pack in 12 to 16 minuttes, but I want a second charger. I got the Hyperion DUO3, but that would spend 10mins balansing in the end of the cycle, and just was to slow. Is the 4010 DUO as fast as the PL8?

I love the display on this thing, and thats were the PL8 falls short, the display has less information than a 2$ calculator...
Felborn is online now Find More Posts by Felborn
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:26 AM
Sweden, Sundsvall
Joined Aug 2011
65 Posts
[QUOTE=Felborn;23808493]Are people happy with this charger?QUOTE]

I like it so far, the hardware is very nice and UI is servicable although it takes a little getting used to. Compared to the 3010b, alot more inputs are needed before a charge cycle can be started, if only the charge current is to be changed. But when a library of presets has been set up, it will be just as quick I think.

I donīt have any PL8 and have not seen one in action, but the max current drain during balancing with the 4010duo is 1,2A per channel so it should compare favourably to the PL8 in speed.
FeffeSvl is offline Find More Posts by FeffeSvl
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:31 AM
Joined Feb 2008
97 Posts
I am very very happy with mine so far !!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:58 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
86 Posts
Like mine a lot. Lots of options but simple, direct access to common operations - dedicated controls for each port - lots of info shown for both channels on the LCD.
bob00 is online now Find More Posts by bob00
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:02 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
Hi

New 2.02 beta version 2 firmware has eliminated the 2101 error for me , - have had NO error since upgrading. Have been doing 8 full charges with logging ( mix of single and dual charges discharges)

So we will hopefully see a new official firmware release

Now Junsi just needs to make the logic behind the usage of the charger better, - there is some improvement needed.

For example its possible to start storage mode without ever seeing what charge / discharge current it is going to use..

If you want to start a storage program you first have to adjust the charge page and then the discharge page and the back to storage page to initiate the storage mode. In that process there is a LOT of tabbing roling back and forwards with button presses that have different actions regarding where you are in the process. And one single error and you have to start over...

I will try to formulate some ideas to improvement over the next couple of days.

Otherwise I just LOVE the power of the 4010

Cheers

C.
Cavokk is offline Find More Posts by Cavokk
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:44 PM
Sweden, Sundsvall
Joined Aug 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelvick View Post
2 channels @ 20amps (43Amps) from deep cycle batteries. Do some one think i can get 40 amps per channel with this setup ?.
The 4010duo has a input current limitation of 65A so I donīt think you can do 2x40A at the same time (since 2x20A already pull 43A on the input side).
But theoretically 2x29-30A should be doable. If you add a third deep cycle battery for 36V it would be possible, but it sounds heavy.
FeffeSvl is offline Find More Posts by FeffeSvl
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:10 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeffeSvl View Post
The 4010duo has a input current limitation of 65A so I donīt think you can do 2x40A at the same time (since 2x20A already pull 43A on the input side).
But theoretically 2x29-30A should be doable. If you add a third deep cycle battery for 36V it would be possible, but it sounds heavy.
Yeah you have to up the input voltage if you need two times 40 amp on those batteries

Cheers

C
Cavokk is offline Find More Posts by Cavokk
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Feb 2008
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeffeSvl View Post
Thank for the Info. I really do not need all that power at the field. But have a 3rd battery will be cheaper than buy a (expensive power supply and a generator).

Yea. is heavy but... not too bad.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:14 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2003
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavokk View Post
Hi

New 2.02 beta version 2 firmware has eliminated the 2101 error for me , - have had NO error since upgrading. Have been doing 8 full charges with logging ( mix of single and dual charges discharges)

For example its possible to start storage mode without ever seeing what charge / discharge current it is going to use..

hi
yes v2.02 beta2 fixes the balancer errors! great job in that time junsi!!

why not making some predefined programs like 2.5/5/10 amps with ready parameters for charging/discharging/storage ?

just read about a firmware 2.02b3 that will optimize the cc/cv phase. maybe junsi can tell us something about that ?
mbrak is offline Find More Posts by mbrak
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined Feb 2008
97 Posts
I will like to see at the screen the Battery % of charge.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:33 AM
Norway
Joined Jul 2008
55 Posts
I tried reading true the manual last night, but I'm not sure if this is a option. Can you disharge one pack and use the that excess power to charge another pack on the second channel?

One option that would we VERY awsome would be to cycle packs on the charger by just disharging and charging between packs.
Felborn is online now Find More Posts by Felborn
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:38 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2003
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felborn View Post
I tried reading true the manual last night, but I'm not sure if this is a option. Can you disharge one pack and use the that excess power to charge another pack on the second channel?

One option that would we VERY awsome would be to cycle packs on the charger by just disharging and charging between packs.
yes you can

but energy will be lost every cycle.
mbrak is offline Find More Posts by mbrak