SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:03 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
UPDATE: Problem solved by reloading firmware

Hi

I have huge problems with allmost constantly getting error 2101 Ballance port connection error

I got it shortly after charging my first lipo yesterday and swapped ballanceboard and cable. That charge went ok and i thought that i just had one bad ballancerboard.

Now i get the same error no matter what combination of ballancerboards and cable i use. If i charge batteries on both channels the ballancer error occurs earlier than when i charge on one channel.

Sometimes i get the error right after i have started charging, - sometimes after 3-7 minutes.

When charging two batteries (one on each channels) the ballancer fails on both channels simultanously.

It doesnt matter wheather the charger is powered by my 12 volt 33amp PSU or my Laboratory 33 volt 12Amp PSU, - it still fails with the ballancer error.

Also it fails wheather i charge single small 0,5maH 3s or parallelcharging 6 2200Mah's in parallel

I have tried resetting the charger back to default configuration, - still the same error.

It also fails on BOTH channels simultaneusly even if i only ballance charge on one channel and charge without ballancing on the other channel.

If I charge/discharge WITHOUT the ballancing enabled it fails when the ballance connectors is connected but NOT when only the main battery leads are connected...

There is no anomaly to see on the display before the error occurs, - all cell voltages, IR and ballancer indicators are fine.

I have attached two pictures showing the display and the complete setup.

iCharger is running newest 2.01 firmware

Please help

C
Cavokk is offline Find More Posts by Cavokk
Last edited by Cavokk; Jan 08, 2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Problem solved
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:15 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Quote:
As I understand the logic diagram of this feature, selecting this feature and setting a value above 0 may actually result in increased charge times as Balance Over is only engaged when Vboc is less than Ri*Ia. If Vboc is greater than Ri*Ia, the charger defaults to Va = Vstd+Ri*Ia. Since Vstd+Ri*Ia is greater than Vstd + Vboc, the charge cycle will be faster without enabling this 'feature'.
I understand it differently.
The whole algorithm wants to compensate the voltage drop because of the internal resistance. Vboc is the maximum threshold, which the compensation must not exceed.
So, if the voltage drop is lower than Vboc, then the compensation is equal to the actual voltage drop.
If the voltage drop is higher than Vboc, then the compensation is equal to Vboc, as to not exceed this threshold.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:45 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
I have attached two pictures showing the display and the complete setup.
I am not stating this is the issue causing your problem but the balaning lead from balancing port on Ch.2 to the balancing board is connected backwards. I suggest unpluging both ends and swaping them around.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:53 AM
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
I am not stating this is the issue causing your problem but the balaning lead from balancing port on Ch.2 to the balancing board is connected backwards. I suggest unpluging both ends and swaping them around.

Charles
Hi Charles

Thank you for your suggestion but as the leads are straight connected there is no difference other than color

I have tried other ballanceboards and wires with the exact same result

Regards

C
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:10 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
I am aware of that and thus why I worded my post as I did. iChargers and many others use next ,next,next starting with ground (-) however not all chargers do. I often use non polarized connectors and thus pay great attation to how such leads are connected.

Quote:
I got it shortly after charging my first lipo yesterday and swapped ballanceboard and cable.
So your first balanced charge was OK and problem surfaced after changing balancing leads and cable?

You went back and tried the originla setup and it also fails now?

All cell voltages are displayed when balancing leads are connected and are in the correct range?

Are you very sure that soldering connections to the main charging leads are very good , no cold joints?

Any balancing issues I have had with iChargers have always been due to poor connections .

Have you tried connection battery balancing leads directly to charger?

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 06, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
I am aware of that and thus why I worded my post as I did. iChargers and many others use next ,next,next starting with ground (-) however not all chargers do. I often use non polarized connectors and thus pay great attation to how such leads are connected.

So your first balanced charge was OK and problem surfaced after changing balancing leads and cable?

You went back and tried the originla setup and it also fails now?

All cell voltages are displayed when balancing leads are connected and are in the correct range?

Are you very sure that soldering connections to the main charging leads are very good , no cold joints?

Any balancing issues I have had with iChargers have always been due to poor connections .

Have you tried connection battery balancing leads directly to charger?

Charles
Hi Charles

THANK YOU for trying to help me out - it is very kind of you !

I cant exactly remember if the problem was on first charge or second charge.

All cell voltages (and all other parameters) shows normal values up until the error message appears.

I have measured both ballanceboards and cables and they are fine, - and yes when I connect the battery DIRECTLY to the ballancerport the error still occurs.(allmost cut my finger when I removed one of the security tabs on the battery ballanceconnector) The problem occurs allso no matter what mainleads I am using.

The wierd thing is that it charges and ballances ok for some time and then suddenly fail, - sometimes at the start of a charge/discharge and sometimes after several minutes. If I dualcharge it fails sooner than when I single charge.

Regards

C
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:26 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
I understand it differently.
The whole algorithm wants to compensate the voltage drop because of the internal resistance. Vboc is the maximum threshold, which the compensation must not exceed.
So, if the voltage drop is lower than Vboc, then the compensation is equal to the actual voltage drop.
If the voltage drop is higher than Vboc, then the compensation is equal to Vboc, as to not exceed this threshold.
Makes perfect sense and I agree with you Julez. Still, with Vboc set at maximum of .01V/cell, it's clear that the benefit will be marginal. With old lipolys and single cylindrical lithium cells that have internal resistance on the order of 100's of mOhms, maximum Vboc would need to be on the order of your originally proposed 150mV/cell (or even higher) in order to provide any tangible benefit.

The aforementioned manual process of using a user programmable cutoff device in series as well as a secondary capacity cutoff on the charger would get you a lot closer to your goal of shortened CV with cells / packs that have high internal resistance.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:36 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Quote:
Still, with Vboc set at maximum of .01V/cell, it's clear that the benefit will be marginal.
Yes, that is certainly correct. I would also say that 0,1V/cell would be closer to reality.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:38 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavokk View Post
Hi

I have huge problems with allmost constantly getting error 2101 Ballance port connection error

C
Sorry to cause you this trouble, could you please contact us via E-mail directly( in first post ), we will send you the beta program to check this problem.
Please save the configuration on the charger into SD card, and send us the logfile of the problems, thanks.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
Hi

Problem SOLVED so far

Quick response from Junsi and reloading firmware solved the ballanceconnector error 2101

Charger is hauling batteries (charging and discharging just for fun because of bad flying weather here..)

Cheers

C
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:43 PM
Germany
Joined Nov 2003
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavokk View Post
Hi

Problem SOLVED so far

Quick response from Junsi and reloading firmware solved the ballanceconnector error 2101

Charger is hauling batteries (charging and discharging just for fun because of bad flying weather here..)

Cheers

C

hi

i have the same problem with the balance errors.

you only reloaded the firmware and the problem was solved? nothing else?
did you saved your config first and load it again after flashing the firmware?

br michael
mbrak is offline Find More Posts by mbrak
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrak View Post
hi

i have the same problem with the balance errors.

you only reloaded the firmware and the problem was solved? nothing else?
did you saved your config first and load it again after flashing the firmware?

br michael
Yes reloaded it with the 2.01 FW version that allready was in it.

( I can see that you are from Germany - perhaps you got it from ZJ hobby as I did? ) dont know if Junsi shipped it with 2.01 or it has been upgraded at ZJ shop? If the latter is the case maybe ZJ has a bad version of the firmware? I loaded the official Junsi 2.01 version linked in Junsis first post.

It has worked flawlesly since..

Edit:I can see you have posted the same on rc-network.de - perhaps you should let ZJ know in german that there might be a problem if it is ZJ that have loaded firmware before shipping...

Cheers

C.
Last edited by Cavokk; Jan 08, 2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Info regarding german post with same problem
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:18 PM
Germany
Joined Nov 2003
15 Posts
hi

zarko from zj send me the 2.00 firmware if the problem couldn't be solved.

just reflashed 2.01 again and loaded default settings. still working until now.... just waiting for end of charge program. no problems yet

only my selfmade battery programs are gone....
mbrak is offline Find More Posts by mbrak
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:20 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
only my selfmade battery programs are gone....
That is why it is best to have a Micro SD card installed and save your configurations to it.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:56 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
788 Posts
Is this the right charger for me? Is the main feature the tweakability? If I just want an easy to use...duo charger that can charge my 12s 5-8000 packs quickly without much fuss. I understand how quick it will charge depends on my investment in the power supply. I don't want to have to get my EE degree to use the charger....does it work fine for the average user right out of the box? I guess im asking if im better off with the Hyperion 720i. I currently have only an icharger 206b. Thanks
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon