SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:15 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Gump View Post
Its cheaper then buying 2pl8 so In retrospect its not that bad considering your get 2pl8s in it one
Bubba, I have the duo and 2 pl8's (slaved). The duo has a gorgeous display but no computer interface, and for many of us is not at all intuitive. Also, if 1 pl8 fails you have the other but if the duo fails....

I think Junsi has moved into a new class with this one but it is just a little short.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:16 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,696 Posts
Quote:
Its cheaper then buying 2pl8 so In retrospect its not that bad considering your get 2pl8s in it one
I don't see how one 4010DUO = 2 PL8's.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:17 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
I don't see how one 4010DUO = 2 PL8's.
Or me.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:30 AM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Bubba, I have the duo and 2 pl8's (slaved). The duo has a gorgeous display but no computer interface, and for many of us is not at all intuitive. Also, if 1 pl8 fails you have the other but if the duo fails....

I think Junsi has moved into a new class with this one but it is just a little short.
Is there really no computer interface? The specs say it has a USB interface.
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:59 AM
F3P, Slap, IMAC, Helis
Joined Jun 2007
286 Posts
I got use a duo a lot at the toy fair its pretty nice actually. Pl are nice but the duo is smaller then 2pl8s.
Bubba Gump is online now Find More Posts by Bubba Gump
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:13 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
Is there really no computer interface? The specs say it has a USB interface.
That is for firmware updates and logging, not programming.
Last edited by JohnathanSwift; Feb 09, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:13 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,167 Posts
Quote:
I got use a duo a lot at the toy fair its pretty nice actually. Pl are nice but the duo is smaller then 2pl8s.
True, but so what?
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:05 AM
Norway
Joined Jul 2008
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
WOW! this charger is REALY EXPENCIVE! Although I have the funds to buy this if I wanted to, I dont think I would spend this much on a charger of any kind.
Price pr. Watt it's actually a cheap charger, for someone flying a 700 electric it's very hard to beat this charger as farevas price goes
Felborn is online now Find More Posts by Felborn
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:25 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,167 Posts
Regardless of price, like a fine automobile, it has some specifications which are unique: if you enjoy using this type of equipment, price is immaterial.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:26 PM
Joined Dec 2004
288 Posts
The display of the 4010Duo is a huge plus for me over 2 line display chargers. Also, I'm a car guy with limited pit space sometimes so I always like a duo charger over two separate chargers.

Personally I did not find the 4010Duo that unintuitive. Spent a few minutes pushing the buttons until I figure out what did what. Never have even cracked open the manual to figure out how to use the charger.
kcobra is offline Find More Posts by kcobra
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:47 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
The display of the 4010Duo is a huge plus for me over 2 line display chargers. Also, I'm a car guy with limited pit space sometimes so I always like a duo charger over two separate chargers.

Personally I did not find the 4010Duo that unintuitive. Spent a few minutes pushing the buttons until I figure out what did what. Never have even cracked open the manual to figure out how to use the charger.
Well, some off us ain't so smart.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:57 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Power charger up
Press Big selector knob twice and you should be at Ch1 Battery Meory Selection
Scroll (turn knob) to 0 LiPo
Press Tab/Sys (top small button)
Turn knob until Manage is selected
Prress knob
Scroll to Add
Press knob

Turn knob until red square is around Charge Storage Disch Cycle
and charge is highlighted
Press knob again
Should be a red rectangle around 2A across from charge current
Press knob and turn to set rate (12A for 4ea. 1,000 @ 3C)Press knob then turn it until Back is selected
Press knob then scroll to Save
Press again then scrioll to Exit.

May have missed a step but that should help I hope. I warned in the other thread that it is not the most user friendly charger I havee used. It is much better than in the erly beta days but will get under your skin at times.

Charles
See the last paragraph. I agree.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:29 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Feb 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavokk View Post
Hi

There is NO difference in voltage of the cells and packs because they are parallel. The current when you are charging is shared among the cells / packs in the way that the pack/cell with lowest internal resistance draws more current than the one with high internal resistance.

When you couple packs or cells in parallel you equalize the voltage over them, - so for at short period if pack voltage differs when you connect them in parallel then the pack with highest voltage charges the other pack(s) very quickly.

Cheers

C

Thanks for that, that's what I thought would happen, I'm still having issues with understanding this 10% end current though, can't find reference to what it does anywhere? Anyone ......

Cheers Justin
Jpm76 is offline Find More Posts by Jpm76
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:32 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,167 Posts
I think it has something to do with how far it charges over the target so the resting voltage is affected by it.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:02 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm76 View Post
Thanks for that, that's what I thought would happen, I'm still having issues with understanding this 10% end current though, can't find reference to what it does anywhere? Anyone ......

Cheers Justin
Say you are charging at 10A then with the End set for 10% of CC when the charge rate drops to 1A in the CV stage the charge ends.

Since the PL keeps getting mentioned the 10% or 1/10 is the End charge rate used by the P{L8 and 6 when set to Faster charge and 5% or 1/20 is used for Accurate charge.

The ending charge rate yas an effect on how full the cells are at the end of charge.

Easy to follow example: Fill you auto gas tank at a high rate and after pump cuts off you can add more if you do it slowly.

4010DUO comes with 1 LiPoly Preset and PLs come with a bunch. PLs have 23 or 24 preset as delivered and all are backedup in the Libary plus some extras and it is possible to have 25 user presets all of which can be saved to commputer's HD and loaded whenever all or 1,2, or any number.

DUO can have 64 Presets but only 6 or 7 from factory and only one for each chemistry,Nicad,NiMH.Pb, LiPoly,Lion etc. At present no way to merge Factory and custom presets on the DUO. CCS makes creating and modifying PL Preset supper simple and even without the CCS PL is easier to create or modify Presets than the DUO is.

DUO has onbaord and Micro DS logging whereas PLs do not. Everyone wants them compared but they are not really all that similiar IMO.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer