HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:30 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,950 Posts
Simply add an additional connector in parallel with both your source battery and charger such that both the battery and charger each have two connectors. Add a 5-10 Ohm, 1 watt resistor in series with this second connector. The second connector will be connected first and will limit current while the capacitors charge. After a few seconds, simply plug in your EC5 connector and you're good to go.

Some graphics here: http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/at...Highspark3.jpg

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:05 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
I must say that while the one that Mark shows works well, the one that Tyler linked to is pretty compact and simple and chances are, that by the time you buy the resistor, wires and plugs, you may very well have spent the $10 that the Jeti unit costs. I may buy one of the Jeti units the next time I need a spark arrester. I really like the way it looks and works.
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:07 PM
Joined Nov 2003
92 Posts
Im checking with esprit now on the max voltage. Otherwise the 10 ohm resister sounds very simple.

Thanks guys.

New charger on the way.
TylerL is offline Find More Posts by TylerL
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:21 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Yes, the in-line resistor is simple but it requires another step in connecting. You must connect the resistor plug first and then the main power plug. You must also disconnect both plugs when finished. On the Jeti unit, it is one step. Once you unplug the Jeti plug the power is off. Also, with the in-line resistor, you must make sure that you don't forget to attach the main plug before you start charging or you can burn out the resistor. Not trying to dissuade you, just adding some info.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joined Nov 2003
92 Posts
Esprit says that theoretically there is not a voltage limit on these spark arrestor bullet connections. They do have suggest Amperage limits, and the 5.5mm is rated at 150A. Since the iCharger has a maximum input limit of 65A I believe these will be fine.

Anyone disagree or have a word of caution?

Junsi, How large are the capacitors inside the 4010Duo that must be charged by the spark arrestor capacitors during the connection? Knowing the number and size of the internal iCharger capacitors would better help us determine if the 5.5mm connector is enough. Esprit says they make up to an 8mm connector with more capacitors built in. These larger units can handle 300A, but more importantly they gather and pass through a larger volume of energy to the internal charger capacitors.

These connectors were designed to load the caps in ESC's, but I bet there is more capacity bank inside the iCharger.
TylerL is offline Find More Posts by TylerL
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:45 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
The connector is a two part unit. The first thing the bullet touches is a ring that is separated from the female connector by a resistor. As soon as the bullet touches a charge is sent to caps in the charger. It only takes a moment for the caps to charge enough to stop the spark. Once the plug is inserted the rest of the way, the resistor is shorted out and no longer in the circuit. Those 5.5mm plugs will handle way more than you will be drawing with that charger.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:03 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,950 Posts
Note that the parallel connector can be a very small (and cheap) connector since it carries very little load. JST connectors can be had for pennies. The resistors are pennies as well. An extremely effective parallel spark arrest connector can be assembled for well less than $1.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:38 PM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Note that the parallel connector can be a very small (and cheap) connector since it carries very little load. JST connectors can be had for pennies. The resistors are pennies as well. An extremely effective parallel spark arrest connector can be assembled for well less than $1.

Mark
Seems like this should have been incorporated into the charger
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:07 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerL View Post
Junsi, How large are the capacitors inside the 4010Duo that must be charged by the spark arrestor capacitors during the connection?
The capacitors inside the 4010Duo are 7*220u/63V.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Last edited by junsi; Jan 31, 2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:51 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,803 Posts
Junsi, I'm getting an error 0801 on channel 1 from time to time: thoughts?
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:51 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Junsi, I'm getting an error 0801 on channel 1 from time to time: thoughts?
Have you upgraded to the latest version beta 4?

Junsi
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:53 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
Have you upgraded to the latest version beta 4?

Junsi
No. What if it fails?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:13 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
No. What if it fails?
You can fix this error via upgrading, see details about the update notes in first post.

Junsi
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:15 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,803 Posts
But what if the attempt bricks the charger?

And what is the rollover function?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:44 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,610 Posts
I guess the quality stopped oozing on this thing?
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic