Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:17 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,342 Posts
Discussion
Sure Flite Baby Birdie

Gentlemen,

I have recently purchased a plane from my childhood. A Sure Flite Baby Birdie became available and I HAD to have one. It's just one of those nostalgic things!

Anyways......I want to convert it to electric. I would like it to be powered in a similar manner to the Cox TD .051 that is was designed around. I wouldn't mind a little less rpm/prop noise as this will be a park flyer.

I would value your opinions on motor/battery for the plane. I will either use a Scorpion or a less expensive Hobby King motor. Please see the pictures for dimensions and weight.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Doug
Fatherof4 is online now Find More Posts by Fatherof4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:18 PM
Chesterfield, MI USA
United States, MI, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2011
48 Posts
Another One?

Would you happen to know where another one could be found?
Mac333 is offline Find More Posts by Mac333
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:48 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Joined May 2006
1,342 Posts
They guy that sold me this one had six, they are all gone.

I've been watching the classifieds for a while waiting for one. I'm a Classic Pattern guy and I wanted one of these for the park.

Send me a PM with your email and I might be able to get you plans.

Doug
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:10 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Hi Doug

I don't know from HK motors, but I do know what I'd look for in a setup- a 6 to 6.5" prop- probably at least 4" of pitch- and you might be happier with a folder- you'll break fewer props that way. I've used a 6 x 6 folder on a FunX-E which is a slightly larger Baby Phoenix. However, I used a 6" folder in an HOB P-51 too, which is a similar flying airplane. Put at least 250 watts turning the prop and you'll be good to go-should be unlimited vertical and quick.

Have fun!

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:41 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2009
347 Posts
Hi Doug,
I picked up one of these kits as well. I am planning on using an EFlite six series 2700kv motor in mine with a 6" prop. Not sure whether I will go with a 3 or 2 cell battery yet though. Probably a 3 cell 1300mah or somthing like that.
Blake
bpink43 is offline Find More Posts by bpink43
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:55 PM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,230 Posts
I am using this motor in an Ace Mach None. It is the same size plane.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma68-2205-3400kv.html

I am using a 610 to 1700 3 cell battery 6X3,4 APC "E" prop.

If you can get a copy of the plans, a scanned image or the like, I would be interested in a set? I have the Birdie 10 in the box on the shelf.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:45 PM
USA, CT, Ridgefield
Joined Feb 2010
11 Posts
pm sent to blvdbuzzard re: plans
TJRICE is offline Find More Posts by TJRICE
Last edited by TJRICE; Jan 07, 2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:48 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
940 Posts
Darn, would have liked to have one to complement my .25 sized e-powered Tweety Bird. Right now, I have been flying a new EPO Formosa that is a fine flyer until I can locate a Baby Birdie. Just love the look of that plane!

TJRICE Can you send me a copy of the plans, also?

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:21 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Joined May 2006
1,342 Posts
Guys,

Dr. Kiwi recommended the following motor over in the Power Systems section:

SunnySky/EP Buddy X2208-11 (46g/~1450Kv) gets you a bit more with the same 8x4 GWS HD: 10.6v, 12.90A, 136W, 11460rpm, 43.4mph, 716g, 25.21oz, 5.26g/w

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...20&postcount=4

Now I just need to decide what size 3s battery. Opinions?
Last edited by Fatherof4; Jan 09, 2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:00 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Umm, no. You've got a pitch speed problem- 43.4 mph is too slow. You want pitch speed to be 2.5x stall speed at a minimum, and for an aerobatic airplane- 3-4x stall speed is closer to it. Assume that the airplane will stall at 18-20 mph.

If you want something less ballistic, I flew an HOB Chipmunk- 216 squares at 21 oz on an 8 x 4 prop swung by an outrunner with 175 watts. Flew quite nicely- good vertical pull, not ballistically fast (which I think is what the Birdie needs but YMMV) so if you can chop some weight out, this might work. I'm assuming you are putting in a rudder-with a larger prop, it's nearly mandatory.

You may also find that mounting outrunners can be a problem, although you can probably get away with a nosering mount. This allows you to delete the firewall and save some weight, plus gives you some access to the motor through the wing saddle area.

FYI- I hate cheapie outrunners- the shafts often bend too easily, they generally don't live up to their specs (I trust Phil's numbers though -aka Dr. Kiwi) so I find that I prefer the old fashioned Mega inrunners. Axi's are decent though. I'm assuming that the airplane is worth enough to you to buy it some decent hardware.

Sam
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:17 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Joined May 2006
1,342 Posts
Hmm.....

Not sure how to take your response...but I will assume it was meant to help.

I am planning on using a APC 7x7 or 8x6 which will get me a pitch speed of about 70 mph. That ought to work. I'm not positive this is the right motor, but I thought it was a good place to start.

Where do you get your folding props, thats a good idea.

Thoughts on 3s battery size? I'm thinking about 1000 mAh.

Doug
Last edited by Fatherof4; Jan 10, 2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:12 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Doug-

Good assumption. A square prop, i.e. 7 x 7 is not going to work well if you're looking for vertical pull at relatively slow speeds. These props tend to stall out- also they can draw more in the air than on the ground. Plus they're expensive and hard to find. The 8 x 6 is a better bet, but I don't see how you get to a 70 mph pitch speed. The motor rpm is going to drop with the additional load- maybe to 10k rpm- which gets you to 60 mph.

As a general rule- I've been underwhelmed with small, Chinese outrunners. They seem to be much happier running at much less than ratings. Also note that the quality is very inconsistent- there's no guarantee that the motor that Dr. Kiwi tested will actually work that way in your hands. A 70 gram motor seems like a better bet to me to handle the loads you're asking- and I still think you're going to have to worry about bending prop shafts all the time.

In terms of folders- I call Kirk at New Creations- www.newcreations-rc.com IIRC. He's not cheap, but he knows his stuff.

In terms of battery- I'd look at 3s and 1250-1500 mAH-this will give you 4-5 minutes at full bore, or 8 minutes or so of more relaxed flying.

HTH

Sam