Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:24 AM
Joined Feb 2004
102 Posts
Build Log
Fast Lane Monster Drift converted to full proportional

Fast Lane Monster Drift converted to full proportional (0 min 48 sec)

This is a $22 drift car available from Toys R Us that I modified to be fully proportional. In stock form the steering is full left or full right and the throttle is on or off. The car is fun in stock form but even better modified. I replaced the steering mechanism with an HXT 900 servo for proportional steering and use a small airplane speed control (6 amp brushed) for proportional throttle. Currently I'm using an airplane receiver and transmitter. A future upgrade will be a car transmitter/receiver and brushed car speed control so I can have reverse and don't have to drive with sticks.

Here is a link to a video and review of the stock version on the rcmania website.
http://www.rcmania.com/fast-lane-rc-...-drift-maisto/
Evil Twin is offline Find More Posts by Evil Twin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:02 AM
Joined Feb 2004
102 Posts
Build Details

Materials list

Speed Control
6 amp or more brushed speed control. I used an old airplane speed control I had laying around, it works great in forwards but doesn't have reverse. In the future I plan on buying one of these for $10 shipped from ebay, it has reverse and brakes. "RC 10A ESC Brushed Speed Controller for 1/16 18 24 Car Boat Tank w/ Brake"

Receiver/transmitter
I'm using an OrangeRx R410 Spektrum DSM2 Compatible 4Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver with a DX6i airplane transmitter. The receiver is $10 from Hobbyking. When I get the car speed control mentioned above I'll swap in a car transmitter and receiver.

Steering Pinion
I tried a few pinions mounted to the servo with a long screw. I had to use an "Associated RC18T 18 Tooth Metal Pinion Gear" to get the rack to go from lock to lock. Anything less than 18 teeth won't give you full throws unless you go beyond 100% endpoints on your radio. It was ~$3 new on ebay. I found the screw laying around, it is the same diameter as the pinion hole. I screwed it in the servo until it was tight then tightened the pinion set screw.

Servo
HXT 900. It's a few bucks from hobbyking.

Build Details
1. Remove the stock electronics, keeping the motor wires long

2. Measure and dremel/drill/cut a hole in the top of the car for the servo. I did a little at a time so the servo is snug in the hole. You could use hot melt glue to fix any mistakes.

3. Attach the pinion to the servo with a long course threaded screw that is the same diameter as the pinion hole. If it's too long you can cut the screw to fit. Cut most of the bottom tab off the servo so it will fit, mine ended up with a few millimeters left. Keep test fitting until it fits and engages the rack and pinion properly.

4. Install the speed control and receiver.

5. Test the throttle and adjust the steering center.

6. Put it back together.
Evil Twin is offline Find More Posts by Evil Twin