SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:58 PM
Joined Apr 2010
61 Posts
Discussion
Foresail/Jib Control System Advice Needed

Could anyone walk me through the process of using a dedicated 180 servo to operate both a foresail and a jib? I think a parallelogram variant will work fine for the foresail, with fairleads through the deck on each side of the mast to a double arm on the servo...but what about the jib? Same fairleads or a second pair just outside the foresail fairleads? Combined or separate sheets? How does the (overlapping) jib get over the tack of the foresail? How does a clue eyelet traveler actually work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Clay

PS: Current state of my Bermuda Sloop shown here, with bulwarks and decks planked and rails being worked on.
clayfeld is offline Find More Posts by clayfeld
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:11 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,405 Posts
Don't know if this helps or not, but maybe.
It controls 2 headsails that cross over forestays, etc.

Crossover jibs on an R/C brig (0 min 34 sec)
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:07 AM
Joined Apr 2010
61 Posts
Thanks, DanL-
That was exactly what I needed!

Clay
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joined Apr 2010
61 Posts
Whoops- looks like your system won't work on my model, DanL, as you say both controlled sails have to overlap their stays by about the same amount. I wanted to use the system to control my forestaysail, which doesn't overlap anything- just touches the mast, and my jib, which overlaps the forestay and its sail. I thought if I ever added the flying jib, I'd just set if flying (how original!). Any suggestions?

Clay
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:48 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,405 Posts
yep,
you won't be able to use a common sheet. use 2 sets of separate sheets, one set from each sail, to a 4-tier drum. two tiers for the sheets of one sail P&S, and two tiers for the sheets of the other sail P&S.
The drum is turned by a single servo, but the drum core diameters are different. Determine the lenght of sheet pull required for each sail, and ratio the diameters of the respective drum cores to get the required pull.
Attached drawing shows drum construction for controlling two yards requiring different length of brace pull. Analagous to your need.
Somewhere, (search Brooks) there is a method I think I remember where the sheets aand drums are in a box to control loose lines. That approach would be better if your sheets don't stay taut as they trolley back-and-forth.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Apr 2010
61 Posts
Thanks, DanL. I appreciate the guidance. I've already got the winch box reference from Brooks.

Clay