Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:17 PM
Contractor
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2012
81 Posts
Discussion
Scratch Build RQ-7 Shadow Composite/Balsa

Hey there guys!

Alright, So I've been researching and planning a complete UAS system for over a year now and did not find an airframe within a resonable price range to fit my needs so I decided to Build My Own!

I have some general specs and will possibly turn this thread into a build log when I start this project.

Wingspan: 96"
Wing Chord: 12" Constant
Airfoil: NACA 4415
Fuselage: 42"x6"x6"
Empennage: Twin-boom Inverted V-Tail
Power System: 45-55cc Gas with Generator
Material: 7075-T6 Aluminum, Carbon Fiber, Fiberglass, Wood
AUW: ~10lbs (Material Dependent)

Ultimately it will resemble the RQ-7 Shadow. I'm looking at perfecting this design, building with composites and adding my own Electronics package and GCS.

Here's where you guys come in. I've built a few planes here and there but nothing this large so I need some structural advice and building tips for this large airframe. I'm fairly new but I'm also a very quick learner. I have a military background and experience with UAS platforms.

FYI: I'm looking for professional style structural building. I'm going to be adding ideas and could use some experienced input. I understand weight is a limitation but can adjust for heavier weight but stronger structural techniques.

I look forward to reading the posts and replies!

-Hunter
parri0923 is offline Find More Posts by parri0923
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:05 PM
Straighten up and fly right!
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined Jun 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parri0923 View Post
Hey there guys!

Alright, So I've been researching and planning a complete UAS system for over a year now and did not find an airframe within a resonable price range to fit my needs so I decided to Build My Own!

I have some general specs and will possibly turn this thread into a build log when I start this project.

Wingspan: 96"
Wing Chord: 12" Constant
Airfoil: NACA 4415
Fuselage: 42"x6"x6"
Empennage: Twin-boom Inverted V-Tail
Power System: 45-55cc Gas with Generator
Material: 7075-T6 Aluminum, Carbon Fiber, Fiberglass, Wood
AUW: ~10lbs (Material Dependent)

Ultimately it will resemble the RQ-7 Shadow. I'm looking at perfecting this design, building with composites and adding my own Electronics package and GCS.

Here's where you guys come in. I've built a few planes here and there but nothing this large so I need some structural advice and building tips for this large airframe. I'm fairly new but I'm also a very quick learner. I have a military background and experience with UAS platforms.

FYI: I'm looking for professional style structural building. I'm going to be adding ideas and could use some experienced input. I understand weight is a limitation but can adjust for heavier weight but stronger structural techniques.

I look forward to reading the posts and replies!

-Hunter
I like it! I'm trying to build one out of foam.
Navet97 is offline Find More Posts by Navet97
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:17 PM
Contractor
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2012
81 Posts
How do you plan on attaching the twin booms to the wings?
parri0923 is offline Find More Posts by parri0923