HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Help!
LiFe - no balancing connector

The Any Link cable adaptor TACM0005 has a 6.6V 200mAh LiFe battery but does not have a balancing connector. My Onyx 235 charger does not allow me to charge this battery given that I cannot connect the balancing port up to the battery. - Error: BAL. CON. -ERROR-

Is there a way to do this with the Onyx 235? If not is there an inexpensive charger/method for charging this battery safely?

Thanks!
5280air is offline Find More Posts by 5280air
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:37 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Can your charger be set to 6volts Pb ( lead acid) and 0.2A, if so such setting will work fine.

LiFePO4 cells are a lot more forgiving than LiPoly cells and thus balancing is more of an option than a requirement. I use a 4S2P as a starting battery for a 16 HP lawn mower and while it does have balancing leads (left over from when I used it for electric flight) it never requires balancing.

FYI I flew a 3S 2300 mAh A123 battery for over 500 flights ,it was charged at very high rates and never required balancing.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:09 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,820 Posts
I've got a similar problem with my Thundepower AC6. I can connect it to the charger using the LiFe settings as specified above but when I start charging, it says it's done after about 40 seconds. I then measure the voltage afterwards and it's clear that only a little charge went into it.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:26 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,587 Posts
So, The Any Link adapter cable comes with a rechargable battery, but provides no means to charge it?
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,820 Posts
The manual recommends three specific chargers:
  1. LifeSource AC/DC Balancing Charger (HCAM6375) which is like $40 or so.
  2. Triton EQ by Electrify (GPMM3155) which is around $80
  3. Triton2 EQ by Electrify (GPMM3156) which is close to $120

My ThunderPower AC6 handles LiFe batteries but doesn't seem to charge a 2S LiFe very well without a balance charge connector--which the TACM0005 does not have.

I looked up the manual for the LifeSource charger and it looks like it's got some sort of adapter that might be helpful but I'm really not sure exactly how it's supposed to work.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2013, 09:00 AM
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
exact same issue with a Hyperion Super Duo... error.
seems crazy to have to buy a $40 charger for ONE tiny little battery, but my 1sq quad is dead in the water with out it!
badfrog is offline Find More Posts by badfrog
Old May 27, 2013, 01:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,820 Posts
So now that I've spent some time using my TACM0005 cable, it seems to actually work very well. My concerns about it not being charged properly really weren't that justified. I've used it for about an hour's worth of flying and it took a few minutes to charge up after that. So far I've quite honestly found that it works very well!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:04 PM
Joined Apr 2013
223 Posts
Do u need a special adapter to charge the cable from a Triton EQ, or can you connect it directly to the balance board to charge from their (ie, without connection the red/black power leads on triton)
netarc is offline Find More Posts by netarc
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:58 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netarc View Post
Do u need a special adapter to charge the cable from a Triton EQ, or can you connect it directly to the balance board to charge from their (ie, without connection the red/black power leads on triton)

Are you talking about the TACM0005 cable that I was referring to? The only thing you can charge it with is a Futaba-style servo plug that connects to your charger.

I *believe* this is the part that will work for it (I got my cable with my Thunderpower AC6 charger from hobbypartz.com):

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=32966

I'm planning on buying this Futaba-to-banana-plug connector so I have a spare cable for my iCharger.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:37 AM
Joined Apr 2013
223 Posts
Yes I was wondering how to go about charging the TACM0005 cable. thanks for the tip
netarc is offline Find More Posts by netarc
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:53 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,820 Posts
I connect my TACM0005 to my iCharger 1006b (or Thunderpower AC6) with this futaba-style connector. I set the charger to LiFe mode and then charge it with the settings that are listed on the TACM0005 itself. It only takes a few minutes as I charge it whenever I charge my main transmitter pack.
RCG Plus Member