SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Oct 2010
197 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Frsky added to rds 8000

I had an older rd8000 that I added frsky to quite a while ago and ran out of model memory on it. I decided to purchase a newer rds 8000 and add the frsky to it also so that I could run both the airtronics and frsky. I still have to add the switch for telemetry two way rx's but right now I only have one way and have it hardwired so that it stays on one way. I am using the DHT module in this tx. I added a switch to turn off the power to the sanwa 2.4 rf module when I am using frsky and it also turns off the frsky when I am using the sanwa. I had to run the lower voltage to the sanwa switch side and I ran the full tx voltage to the frsky side of the switch. It was a few more wires but they all fit. Here are a few pictures of the finished product. Each antenna can stand up on its own and both fold without interfering with each other.
flybyjohn is offline Find More Posts by flybyjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:15 AM
Russian Federation, Moscow, g. Moskva
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Hello! as you can for more details about how to solder in the inside? Or a link where to look? I want to put here's a FrSky DHT 8ch DIY.
brulex is offline Find More Posts by brulex
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:22 AM
Joined Oct 2010
197 Posts
I used this link for the wire hookup locations.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1207547&page=9

I did however hook up the power supply a little different because the DHT calls for 6-13volts and the sanwa unit is 3.5Volts. My drawings on the photos show the way I did it. When I install my switch for the two way system, I will show you a picture from inside my radio. Cutting the circuit board is the point of no return. It is accually just scoring the top surface to break the copper connection. I used a hobby knife and cut a few times and then scored it a bit. I keep checking continuity with multi meter of the two parts until I did not have connection any more. The skinny red wire was originally attatched were the yellow wire is now, I assumed it needed to give reduced power from this board to the one it goes up to so I wanted it to stay hot when the sanwa was turned off. The ground wire is just attached to any of the ground points on the board. I think they are labeled gd1 and gd 2
flybyjohn is offline Find More Posts by flybyjohn
Last edited by flybyjohn; Jan 04, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:46 PM
USA, MA, Northfield
Joined Sep 2005
628 Posts
Vanguard 7P/ Vanguard 6DR conversion

Ignore all below- i am going to attempt to convert my RDS 8000 to frysky and keep the airtronics 2.4 as flybyjohn has done. Will posts pics and ask for help as needed. cheers jim

Hoping to get help in doing the conversion smartly/correctly. Prefer the 7P due to TTA and mixing but it is more complicated and has been modified (purchased used on rcg) than a 6DR i also have. Will show both (guts) in next post.

1. Tx 2. features of tx: TTA, Throttle h/l DR 2 mixes
3. Negative from batterry (splice) charger circuit disconnected.
4. At switch- positive from battery top wire live when switched on.
5. On rf board- seems to be positive @ #1 (brown?)
6. Orange wire to trainer port: PPM?? (not good pic-looks partly yellow)

Want to completely disable fm transmission and use radio switch to turn on. Actually do not have DIY module yet (got DJT) but main thing is to figure out the connections - so any constructive suggestions appreciated
jim e is offline Find More Posts by jim e
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jim e; Mar 01, 2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:59 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
A buddy brought over his RDS8000 he wanted to convert with a FrSky DHT. I didn't find much when I searched, so played around with a VOM for a bit and found everything we needed at the trainer port. Here are a couple of pics I snapped after we did some testing to make sure it all worked.

I debated keeping the stock antenna, but it was a bit beat up already, so we modified the stock antenna mount and glued in a FrSky antenna.

We also disabled the stock RF board by un-soldering the red wire as seen in the pics below. My buddy had no interest in maintaining the stock RF system.

Hope this might help someone else.

I didn't get a picture, but he mounted the binding board near the base of the antenna on the back of the radio, and we wrapped the firmware switch in tape and left it inside the radio. We can access it if we ever need to make a firmware change. Just don't see a need for this switch to be mounted to the case as you may never need it. LOL

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:14 PM
USA, MA, Northfield
Joined Sep 2005
628 Posts
change of plan

Thanks Wayne for helpful info. I tested a bunch of trainer plug terminals for Pos. and Neg. and found proper voltage in RDS8000, RD6000 Super, and VG6000. Red wire on trainer plug is Positive, brown wire negative, orange and black must be signal wires- i gather the black is signal out that we use.
My preference now is to convert the VG6000, second choice the RD Super. I could use help identifying the red wire to disconnect to disable the rf section.
Photo one: trainer plug Photo two RD6000 board- 3 possible red wires
Photo three VG6000 board- 4 possible red wires including antenna.
jim e is offline Find More Posts by jim e
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:19 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
It is hard to say as I have no experience with those radios. You can always un-solder the red wires you suspect and see what the results are. Always easy to reconnect them.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap