Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:23 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
135 Posts
Discussion
complete noob to boats with a few questions

If this is in the wrong place mods please move. I have never had a working rc boat toy or hobby grade. But a few years ago I was given an abandoned boat while I was deployed to Iraq of all places. From what I gathered searching the internet it is a 30" syma century racing boat. It didnt come with a remote and the reciver/esc board was already stripped out of it and the trim rudder (if thats what its called) was broken off. Both motors where laying in side the boat.

Now on to plans
Now this is clearly a toy grade boat but the hull is in great shape so I figure why waste it lets upgrade it.

I am thinking about completely removing whats left of the stock running gear and replacing it all with hobby grade electronics and twin impellers. I have a thing for jet drives. I have a good bit of experiance with rc and plastic fabricating so I think I can pull it off. If I run brushed im planning on using a traxxas xl5 esc.

So my questions.
What is a good impeller setup?
Is this hull even worth working with?
Is twin impellers a good idea?
What motors are best suited for this? Brushed and brushless?
slim_chance is offline Find More Posts by slim_chance
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:04 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,135 Posts
Look up Graupner, and MHz of Germany, both companies have jet drives in different sizes.
Not sure what the hull is, but it sounds like a place to start.
It might be a bit heavy compared to more hobby grade models.
There is another thread somewhere dealing with twin jet drives.
It's not a bad idea. Some of the LCS-1 and LCS-2 projects use four jet drives.
The motor will depend on your drive choice.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1724436
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:05 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
135 Posts
Thanks. Im not sure but I belive the hull is abs. I have some experience working with it from modifying tamiya car hard bodies
slim_chance is offline Find More Posts by slim_chance