SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:59 PM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Discussion
Neptune Submarine: KIT or not a KIT?

Hello all,

I am new to RC submarines...in fact I haven't purchased one yet. However, I intent to correct that problem very shortly.

After almost purchasing one of the Dumas submarine kits several times, I discovered the Neptune and believe it would be my best option as a first sub. One thing that has me a bit confused is that I thought the Neptune was a kit- in fact some of the descriptions describe it as such. But when I look closer, they say "RTR kit." To make it more confusing, I was able to download the instructions from Tower Hobbies and they contain step by step assembly instructions.

Oddly enough, I want a kit as I enjoy building RC stuff. So my question is this- is the Neptune a kit or not? Or are there two versions, a kit and a RTR?

Thanks,
mikethenerd2 is offline Find More Posts by mikethenerd2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:50 PM
official peon
United States, PA, New Freedom
Joined Jun 2006
58 Posts
Kit if you're in Europe, RTR in the USofA. RTR still comes with the assy instructions.

Good choice, it's a fantastic first boat.
subdude17349 is online now Find More Posts by subdude17349
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:09 AM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, I was afraid I would only be able to get the RTR. Oh well, I am still going with the Neptune, at least I can tinker around with upgrades and mods.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:07 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
906 Posts
You can always take it apart, then put it back together again.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:45 PM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
Rochester NY
Joined Mar 2005
832 Posts
I would take it apart and put it back together.
The best way to see how it works.
The manual is very good.
Plus I have heard the assembly is not good in some cases and and you can be sure all the nuts are tight and things are assembled correctly.
And it's fun!
Subdave is offline Find More Posts by Subdave
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:52 PM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
I guess that is a good point about taking it apart and putting it back together- since the assembly manual is included. Thanks for the comments, I look forward to getting one.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:13 PM
official peon
United States, PA, New Freedom
Joined Jun 2006
58 Posts
Mike,

Where are you located? Some of us SubCommittee guys have them and would surely be glad to let you have a look / turn running them.

Jim
subdude17349 is online now Find More Posts by subdude17349
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:28 AM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdude17349 View Post
Mike,

Where are you located? Some of us SubCommittee guys have them and would surely be glad to let you have a look / turn running them.

Jim
Jim,

Thanks for the offer. I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan, so I doubt anyone lives close to me though. RC submarines do seem like an excellent hobby...I'm glad I have discovered them.