SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:36 PM
bashing on vancouver island
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
Help!
what would you do in my situation?

ok so over the holidays i decided to sell my vxl rustler to finance other rc stuff. i listed it on a local use website, and had a guy and his 14 year old son come over to check it out. i put a 2 cell lipo in it and ran it in my driveway for a couple minutes. nothing too crazy just to show them it functioned properly. the father asked his son if he really wanted it and he said yes. they got the truck, i got money. all is well in the world

then i get an email today saying he wants his money back because the truck is no longer functioning properly. he is saying that i said that if there is anything wrong with it that he can return it. i dont recall saying anything like that, but i told him that i am not a store and i cant just refund money. he insists that i should refund his money. what should i do? i offered to do any troubleshooting or maintainance for free, or i could replace the esc(which seems to be the problem) but not for free. im not made of money, nor am i a charity. let me know what the best plan of action should be.
veggieslinger is offline Find More Posts by veggieslinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
If it was a honest transation and the transaction was mutual then just tell them "I would give you a refund I guess, but I spent the money already". Thats just me though. When ever I sell something I make sure its the best it can be and I point out every issue up front so theres no surprises later.
08charger3.5 is offline Find More Posts by 08charger3.5
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:52 PM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
i agree. i ran it the day i put it up for sale, and it ran like a bat out of hell! spitting rocks all over my front lawn it was a fully done up truck too. every single rpm upgrade exept the transmission cover, and it had proline rims and tires with only 2 or 3 runs on them. brand new spur and pinion, etc. on one hand i hate to see anyone get discouraged from the hobby, on the other hand, it was a fair transaction and of course i didnt get nearly as much for it as i had spent on it.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:06 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieslinger View Post
ok so over the holidays i decided to sell my vxl rustler to finance other rc stuff. i listed it on a local use website, and had a guy and his 14 year old son come over to check it out. i put a 2 cell lipo in it and ran it in my driveway for a couple minutes. nothing too crazy just to show them it functioned properly. the father asked his son if he really wanted it and he said yes. they got the truck, i got money. all is well in the world

then i get an email today saying he wants his money back because the truck is no longer functioning properly. he is saying that i said that if there is anything wrong with it that he can return it. i dont recall saying anything like that, but i told him that i am not a store and i cant just refund money. he insists that i should refund his money. what should i do? i offered to do any troubleshooting or maintainance for free, or i could replace the esc(which seems to be the problem) but not for free. im not made of money, nor am i a charity. let me know what the best plan of action should be.
You sold that "AS IS" so I don't think it would be fair to refund their money. Even a store would not refund once the car has been taken out of the package. They would direct them to the manufacturer!

I the kid was a beginner into the hobby I'm pretty sure the 2S Lipos would have been to much for him and who knows what really happened with that car!

Next time you should mention AS IS or No Refunds!
cristian9509 is offline Find More Posts by cristian9509
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:31 PM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
the kid does have experience with lipos, in fact i was originally selling it without batteries or a charger, but they talked me into including them. i told them that if they are comfortable with dropping the truck off so i can find the problem, im up for it. i have owned probably a dozen vxl powered 2wd traxxas rcs, so i will be able to determine whats wrong. if he does agree to come by, i hope theres no fireworks im lover, not a fighter ; )
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:22 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
No way you should give them a refund, it was working when they took it and you're not the manufacturer so no warranty from you.

I'm willing to bet the kid did something stupid with it, or it's something really dumb like they haven't charged the battery and it's below the LVC cutoff so it's not working.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:40 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
No way you should give them a refund, it was working when they took it and you're not the manufacturer so no warranty from you.

I'm willing to bet the kid did something stupid with it, or it's something really dumb like they haven't charged the battery and it's below the LVC cutoff so it's not working.
That, or perhaps another wacky thing. You see people do the most spectacular things with their cars, and the stuff seems to withstand the abuse with ease. Some kids will think they can do all that with their car, as "it looks just the same like the one they saw on Youtube".
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:06 AM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
ya well i literally pleaded with the guy to bring it to me so i can have a look at it. he just said "i dont need you to look at it, i just want my money back". oh well if he doesnt want help from someone with experience, then it truely is his loss.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:25 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,641 Posts
Sounds fishy to me. Perhaps he doesn't want you to see what happened to the car before he gets his money back, and then ignore you after that...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:50 AM
Joined Nov 2011
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieslinger View Post
i told them that if they are comfortable with dropping the truck off so i can find the problem, im up for it. i have owned probably a dozen vxl powered 2wd traxxas rcs, so i will be able to determine whats wrong.
I think that was the best attempt at a solution. You are actually doing them a favor by offering to fix it, as you are not legally bound to do anything at this point. As others have hinted at, I suspect it sustained a high speed crash, and there are probably broken part(s) that he does not want you to see before agreeing to a refund.

My advice: Stick with your repair offer, but do not agree to a refund, especially without seeing the car. And, if it is obvious the damage was caused by driver error, I would probably hit them up for the cost of the parts, although it sounds like the buyer is not willing to spend more money, in which case he should have gone to Walmart and bought a "toy" R/C car. We here all know that the money we spend does not stop with the original vehicle purchase. It's just part of this hobby.
davruk is offline Find More Posts by davruk
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:05 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Sounds like one of these:

1) Wife freaked out over the cost of a "toy"

2) Kid broke it badly and they found out what it'll cost to fix

3) Kid used it once and hasn't touched it since so he wants his money back

In any case, you've gone well above and beyond by offering to fix it for them, if that's not good enough then too bad (unless you REALLY wanted the truck back).
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:39 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
Seems that father had his mind made up already that he wants a refund.... I personally wouldn't do that just because who knows what happened to the car when he took it.. Being difficult about you looking at it may be just an excuse.. I sell cars for a living and having a customer tell you the truth is quite rare.. (I guess people think car salesman are the same way), but you may never really find out what is going on.. could be the kid decided he didn't like the truck after all, or maybe the wife flipped out at the price. I doubt it was trashed and broken as I couln't believe anyone would try and return it that way.. As you said you are a lover not a fighter.. just do what you think is best.. I know what I would do.
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
what he told me is that the esc was not functioning properly. now, before i listed for sale i took it out on the road infront of my house to test it. on a 2 cell lipo it was bananas fast. i hate to see a kid get discouraged over this whole ordeal, but i did what i could.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:28 AM
why am i here???????
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Mar 2009
714 Posts
reminds me of a mess i went through with my baja when i sold it a few months ago. ended up getting it back and keeping the money in the end. i still cant figure out why that happened.

but i sold an hpi baja 5bss a few months back to someone who did not know a dang thing about rc. not sure why i sold it to him but i needed money. sold it for 1100 bucks cause it had someupgrades. i got an email about 2 weeks later from him saying the motor was shot. and i knew the motor only had 2 tanks of fuel through it. he wanted his money back so i offered to take a look at it and possible repair it depending on what went wrong. like you veggieslinger and so i did. once i tore the motor apart and i found out what happened. the connecting rod was thrown through the piston and destoryed the piston and the head of the motor. i asked him what fuel he ran through it and guess what he told me he used. he used alcohol that he runs in his modded yamaha banshee. the thing only runs on premium fuel mixed with oil at 25:1 ratio. then he starts demanding i refund his money. i said no cause he ruiined the motor on his own account. well after 2 weeks of argueing with the guy i get an email back that was close to 2 pages of things i cannot repeat here. he ended with him telling me to stick the baja up somewhere and told me to keep it. so i got it back with 1100 cash to boot. so i went and bought a 30.5cc race ported top end kit for it fo 200 bucks. so i still had 900 cash in the end. even though i did not like how it ended i was still happy in the end. i got my baja back and had extra cash to boot. maynot have been a good choice to make to keep the money but i stayed with it. that was about 4 months ago. then about 3 weeks ago he emails me back wanting the baja back. so i just ignored him. then he threatened to take me to court over it. i told him to do it then. that was 3 weeks ago and im still waiting for it to happen.
traxxas13 is offline Find More Posts by traxxas13
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:25 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxas13 View Post
reminds me of a mess i went through with my baja when i sold it a few months ago. ended up getting it back and keeping the money in the end. i still cant figure out why that happened.

but i sold an hpi baja 5bss a few months back to someone who did not know a dang thing about rc. not sure why i sold it to him but i needed money. sold it for 1100 bucks cause it had someupgrades. i got an email about 2 weeks later from him saying the motor was shot. and i knew the motor only had 2 tanks of fuel through it. he wanted his money back so i offered to take a look at it and possible repair it depending on what went wrong. like you veggieslinger and so i did. once i tore the motor apart and i found out what happened. the connecting rod was thrown through the piston and destoryed the piston and the head of the motor. i asked him what fuel he ran through it and guess what he told me he used. he used alcohol that he runs in his modded yamaha banshee. the thing only runs on premium fuel mixed with oil at 25:1 ratio. then he starts demanding i refund his money. i said no cause he ruiined the motor on his own account. well after 2 weeks of argueing with the guy i get an email back that was close to 2 pages of things i cannot repeat here. he ended with him telling me to stick the baja up somewhere and told me to keep it. so i got it back with 1100 cash to boot. so i went and bought a 30.5cc race ported top end kit for it fo 200 bucks. so i still had 900 cash in the end. even though i did not like how it ended i was still happy in the end. i got my baja back and had extra cash to boot. maynot have been a good choice to make to keep the money but i stayed with it. that was about 4 months ago. then about 3 weeks ago he emails me back wanting the baja back. so i just ignored him. then he threatened to take me to court over it. i told him to do it then. that was 3 weeks ago and im still waiting for it to happen.
You shouldn't have kept the baja. And not do repairs on it as well. These days there's to much idiots out there that drag you to courts for nothing.
cristian9509 is offline Find More Posts by cristian9509