Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 21, 2001, 12:00 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,012 Posts
Shoestring 3 views Sept 84 MA

I am looking for some decent 3 views of the Shoestring racers. The Sept 84 issue of Model Aviation had a Karlstrom 3 view and an article. Could someone mail me a photo copy of the whole thing? I'd be happy to pay for mailing costs. Are there any other/better drawings out there?

Thanks in advance,

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2001, 10:36 AM
Scotland
Joined Apr 2001
440 Posts
Martin
I think you will find 2 versions in Bob Banka's Catalogue of 3-views
http://www.bobsairdoc.com/
R101 is offline Find More Posts by R101
Old Nov 21, 2001, 11:02 PM
Keremeos, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
632 Posts
Shoestring

There have been a number of these racers built, and many more 3-views published (my first is Jan/51 Air Trails!). The most interesting repaint/newconstruction was a yellow/black bee-like version, I can find it if you're interested. In any case, it makes a fine model, whether Peanut rubber, c/l Goodyear or Stunt, or r/c Sport or Pylon; good airplanes nearly always make good models.
Terry Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by Terry Lyttle
Old Nov 22, 2001, 06:42 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,012 Posts
Thanks Terry, it is "Yellow Jacket" that interests me. I have a "Shoestring" 3 view from Karlstrom, (and would like the accompanying article) as well as WM Rogers drawing of "Top Turkey". The drawings in the Mendenhall book are terrible but the colour scheme is there.

I am hesitant to order from Bob Banka without knowing the origin of the drawing. I've had some absolute crap (admitedly amoungst some gems). I wish he would weed out the obviously worthless drawings.

I have Carl Goldberg's RCM plan which is a great flier but quite a long way from scale. The wing has been lengthened and the fuselage skinnied. My thought had been to do a 20 cell version for sport flying ie 600 - 650 sq. in. While I may end up making compromises from scale, I like to do so intentionally - as opposed to finding the plan was inaccurate to begin with.

Cheers,
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Nov 25, 2001, 08:10 PM
Keremeos, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
632 Posts
Shoestring

Sent you an e-mail thru this system, no reply; I have info that may be of interest, e-mail to kpa@img.net
Terry Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by Terry Lyttle
Old Nov 26, 2001, 06:53 AM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
Martin, I have a set of 3 views if you want them. It is the ones used to build mine. 63" span, 67 ounces, flies on a tirbo ten and 9 cells. Off hand I can't remember who did them
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron