HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:14 PM
United States, FL, St Johns
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
Discussion
Realflight vs Pheonix

I cant believe this thread is not already here. It is on every major R/C forum except this one. Well, here it is: Realflight vs Phoenix. Discuss.
B450guy is offline Find More Posts by B450guy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Geez! Again? This topic has been done to death here.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:10 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,770 Posts
I prefer one, some people prefer the other....and vice versa.

I think that pretty much covers it .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:25 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
This thread has appeared here so many times that it's become a meme.

I've tried both and prefer aspects of both. I like the physics in Phoenix, I also like the models. I hate that I am stuck with what Phoenix thinks their sim should have (meaning lack of planes, lack of community content).

I love that the community can build and modify and create custom planes/helis/quads in RF. I don't like the flying sites, they all seem to be airports of some type. The physics are also quite good.

I like the eye candy equally in both sims, I think the models in Phoenix are slightly better than some of the user generated ones in RF, but that's understandable.

My opinion RF wins out due to having more birds for the sim, IMHO this will be the nail in the coffin for Phoenix.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
You're not looking hard enough if you think all of RF's fields are airports. There are many that aren't. (Unless you think runway = airport. My local flying field has a runway.) There are several fields with no runways, grass only. There are others that are based on real DC flying fields.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:56 PM
United States, FL, St Johns
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Geez! Again? This topic has been done to death here.
Really? I looked all over for it and couldn't find it.
B450guy is offline Find More Posts by B450guy
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
There are several threads that discuss several sims. Any of those could have information you'd find useful. I only went back a couple months to find what I found.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Jan 2011
411 Posts
It might as well be discussed one more time now that Real Flight 6.5 is out right?

I've never tried real flight but am so happy with Phoenix, If I get the Aurora 90 N working any better I'll never need to buy a real one.

I need a better Graphics card for my PC so I can use the new 3D fields in Phoenix.

Is there a decent demo video of Real Flight 6.5 Helicopters in 3D action? The ones I've seen don't really show a lot.
Bladecpnitro is offline Find More Posts by Bladecpnitro
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:38 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecpnitro View Post
It might as well be discussed one more time now that Real Flight 6.5 is out right?
It's really rather subjective. What someone else prefers may not be what you prefer.

Quote:
I've never tried real flight but am so happy with Phoenix, If I get the Aurora 90 N working any better I'll never need to buy a real one.
Sounds like you do have a preference. My thought process is similar. I've used one sim for 10 years, and never felt it necessary to consider another.
Quote:
Is there a decent demo video of Real Flight 6.5 Helicopters in 3D action? The ones I've seen don't really show a lot.
Again, a subjective question. I'm not sure my definition of decent is the same as your definition of decent. The only one who knows for sure what you want to see is you.

The bottom line is that you need to go with what YOU like. The whole world could like Brand A better, but if your Brand B suits your needs, you're good, right? Nobody can tell you what sim is best for you except you. If everyone at your field drives Chevys, would you sell your Ford?

I have seen this sim comparison subject discussed here no less than 3 dozen times. I have never seen a convincing argument for which sim is hands down better or the best. If there were one sim that everyone preferred, how could other sims exist?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:54 AM
Joined Jan 2011
411 Posts
Someone has put up a nice youtube of the Real Flight Goblin 630 in 3D action. Looks pretty nice. Love the field but I cant tell from watching if the physics are any better than Phoenix.
Realflight 6.5 Goblin 630 (7 min 25 sec)
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:05 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,378 Posts
Several people I know have told me that the RF6/6.5 heli physics are now better then Phoenix. It used to be the other way around but they did a lot of work on RF6.

That said I have both, but I find myself using RF more often. Part of that is because the Interlink is always right there next to the PC, no hunting down my TX in the basement. Another part is it seems every time I start Phoenix there's an update and the updates are painfully slow downloads from their server in England which often take multiple download attempts.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:58 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Someone has put up a nice youtube of the Real Flight Goblin 630 in 3D action. Looks pretty nice. Love the field but I cant tell from watching if the physics are any better than Phoenix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjhe7e1k7LE
Goblin flys great and the majority of the best RF content is user created my phoenix is now gathering dust.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
411 Posts
Well I may need to try it one day. Always need something else for my 450 though and I guess that should come first.