Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:11 PM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Stockholm
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
Question
Bringing a Kyosho Turbo Scorpion back to life

Hi group,

I recently came across a Turbo Scorpion that was salvaged from a junk yard.
It's in pretty good condition, but the radio and servo have been removed.
I would like to get it working on a basic level and within a reasonable budget, for me and my son to have some fun with.
Looking to spend no more than $150.
Since I'm (almost) all new to R/C cars, I have some questions I need answered.

1. It has a Lemans 360E motor. Can I test it just by hooking it up to a DC source, like an adjustable power supply? What would be a suitable replacement if the motor is dead?

2. How do I test the ESC? It has no marking except "MOS FET" Hitec Aristo Craft.
I read somewhere that old ESCs couldn't use the motor to it's full potential, so maybe it's time for an upgrade? Any suggestions?

3. What new radio would be suitable for that old ESC or a new one? I've been looking at a Futaba 2PH series which can be had for around $60. Would that be a good choice?

Many thanks in advance.

Henrik Faltstrom
Sweden
staccato is offline Find More Posts by staccato
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:37 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,436 Posts
Nice to see you are willing to get this car running again. For testing the motor I would suggest first manually turning it, to see if the bearings haven't gummed up, jamming the motor. A drop of oil on the bearings might be a smart move there. You can test the motor by hooking it up to DC, however, make sure it's a low voltage if the motor is running with no load, or it could turn too fast. I usually use 2 sub-c cells so 2.4 volts. Should get the motor running at low rpm, which is good for letting it get a little "loose" again.

The ESC could be quite useless, but you could post a pic here, so we can see what brand and type it is. Some older ESC are just as good as recent ones. Testing it requires a working radio set, you can't test it without it.

Futaba has a decent reputation as for radio gear. If you are on a really tight budget you could consider the Hobby King GT-2 set, which is cheaper, yet still quite good. Normally I would prefer Futaba, but the set you mention is AM, which is more prone to interference and range issues. I would get a 2.4 GHz set instead, like the GT-2.

Edit: as a little appetizer, here are a few vids I found of this car. First one shows one that was upgraded to brushless power and the other shows one that has been kept mint, or very lovingly restored, as it looks just drop dead gorgeous:

kyosho scorpion turbo vintage racing (1 min 31 sec)

Kyosho Scorpion vintage RC buggy (2 min 18 sec)
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jan 03, 2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:52 AM
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
ESC photo

Here is a photo of the present ESC.
Is it a decent one?

Henrik
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:05 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,436 Posts
No brand or type indication?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:08 AM
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
On the little sticker it says:
Aristo-Craft
Hitec

So I guess the brand is Hitec, but no model number.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:29 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,436 Posts
I can't find any data on it. If it came with the car, you can assume it can handle the motor that is mounted at the moment. As mentioned earlier, you will need a radio to check if it's still functional, just observe wire polarity, ESC don't like switching input wires...

Should you "smoke" it during testing or running the car, a replacement won't be that expensive.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
I found this kit at conrad.com, which seems to fit the bill quite nicely.
RC Electric Starter Kit 2.4 GHz
The radio looks like a re-branded Hobby King. It even has the letters "GT2" on the side of the battery compartment.
The kit contains all parts I believe are currently missing.
I first just have to check that the motor is responding and that the transmission is nice and smooth.
Maybe a new set of wheels?
The tires seem to have gone a bit stiff.

Henrik
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:53 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,818 Posts
Check prices from hobbyking before buying that, it seems like it's expensive for what you're getting compared to what you can get by buying separately.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:23 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by staccato View Post
I found this kit at conrad.com, which seems to fit the bill quite nicely.
RC Electric Starter Kit 2.4 GHz
The radio looks like a re-branded Hobby King. It even has the letters "GT2" on the side of the battery compartment.
The kit contains all parts I believe are currently missing.
I first just have to check that the motor is responding and that the transmission is nice and smooth.
Maybe a new set of wheels?
The tires seem to have gone a bit stiff.

Henrik
It is a re-branded Hobby King transmitter. Considering the Conrad link I assume you are in Germany. You could see if the Hobby King DE warehouse has the same stuff. Although this "starter bundle" does give you everything you need.

Personally I prefer the Conrad 3000 mAh battery, as it's really good. I have a Conrad 2000 mAh battery, and it performs much less. not just runtime, as can be expected from having only 2/3 capacity of the 3000, but it's also less punchy and slower. LRP 1600 mAh "Wildpack" performs on the same level as the Conrad 3000, demonstrating the Conrad 2000 cells just are a little weak. Don't know about the 2400 version though. The bundled charger will work, but for better performance, I would suggest getting at least an Imax B6 or rebranded charger.

I don't have much faith in the Conrad NiMh penlites for the transmitter. I prefer Sanyo Eneloop or Hobby King "LSD" AA cells. Barely any self discharge and very good performance.

The tyres much have dried out over time. Does this car come with hex-shaped wheel mounting "discs"? In that case Conrad has some nice 4 tire sets for 10 euros, that could work out fine, depending on what surface you intend to drive on mostly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:38 AM
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
Idle 360E

A video of the first test run:
Lemans 360E

The 2A power supply didn't manage to drive the motor+transmission.

I guess it's time to order a radio kit!
Will probably go for the Conrad bundle and might throw in an extra 3000mAh racing pack, since I'm still within budget.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:58 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,436 Posts
These motors take even more than 2A for idle running, so I'm not surprised it didn't work out.

As for the battery, you could see how the 2400 mAh works out first. Perhaps it's quite decent. Considering the max capacity for packs in those days was around 1900 mAh, you could still get good performance from it. I would save the extra budget for a decent charger, unless you already have one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:26 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,436 Posts
Did the parts arrive yet? Just wondering.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:39 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,436 Posts
No updates yet?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:41 PM
vintage kyosho
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
love to see pics of your TS.
turbo scorpion is offline Find More Posts by turbo scorpion
Old Apr 02, 2013, 03:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
Update

As there seems to be some interest in my project, here is a small update:
I've ordered the Conrad bundle. It should arrive this week.
Since the snow is almost gone now, I'm getting more eager to have the car up and running.
The wheels are a headache. Tires are quite dry and stiff. I haven't been able to find replacement tires or wheels. They don't use the hex mount that seems to be standard nowadays. The rim is sandwiched between a locknut and a serrated steel boss.
If someone knows of a source for odd-sized tires and wheels, please let me know.

Regards,
Henrik