SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:43 PM
Meramec Mike
Joined Dec 2011
57 Posts
Discussion
Has anyone used an Rexel opto kill switch on their gassers?

I plan on using one of these on my gas profile but would like some feedback on their reliability.
Mgblunt is offline Find More Posts by Mgblunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:15 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
I haven't...I always run an optic kill though so does everyone I fly with...I have never heard of one failing...I know they can but haven't seen it yet. If it does though you'll either not shut it down or dead stick
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:16 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,361 Posts
I have two of them in use right now. No problems at all, they just work. I plug it into a Aux channel and use a switch on the Aux channel to turn the power on or off as needed. The little LED indicator is a nice touch too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:38 PM
Meramec Mike
Joined Dec 2011
57 Posts
Thanks for the reply I have one on order
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:09 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,086 Posts
Yes, I also use 2 of them on gassers. No problems.

I did have problems with 27percent. I switched to RCexcel .no more problem.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:19 AM
Delaware, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
308 Posts
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=F2143792

I use this on small gas plane. You have the kill switch and can run the ignition off the flight battery to save weight.
jymz is offline Find More Posts by jymz
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:31 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,361 Posts
I have the Tech Aero iBec on two planes as well. Unfortunately the receivers I had from a popular brand radio control system didn't work with it. But my Futaba Faast receivers had no problem with it at all. So a user should thoroughly test the radio system with the gas engine running too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:39 AM
Meramec Mike
Joined Dec 2011
57 Posts
Well I received my rcexel opto switch and installed it last night but there seems to be a problem, when I turn the switch on with my radio it comes on but then goes back off then comes back on over and over again does anyone have any ideas what could cause this, I have the switch on my gear channel on my DX6I?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:19 AM
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Jun 2011
22 Posts
I have them on 3 planes and have had no problems
planebow is online now Find More Posts by planebow
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:28 AM
Meramec Mike
Joined Dec 2011
57 Posts
Update,,after more investigation it turns out that the gear channel on my Spektrum AR6210 must be bad because I connected it to a spare receiver I have and it stays on like it's suppose to I contacted Horion Hobby and will wait to see what they say.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:39 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,361 Posts
You might check your trim setting or end point adjustments for that channel, it could be right on the hairy edge, so to speak. Instead of say 1ms to 2ms, it might be set for 1ms to 1.5ms and thus it is on the border where the switch thinks it is on or off or something.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:32 AM
Meramec Mike
Joined Dec 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
You might check your trim setting or end point adjustments for that channel, it could be right on the hairy edge, so to speak. Instead of say 1ms to 2ms, it might be set for 1ms to 1.5ms and thus it is on the border where the switch thinks it is on or off or something.
I did that as someone suggested before, I have the throws set to 125% both directions, I also plugged in a servo to that channel and it works fine so I am stumped on what is causing this.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:20 PM
Meramec Mike
Joined Dec 2011
57 Posts
I bought a brand new AR6210 spektrum receiver and the rcexl kill switch will not work on that one either I have contacted Horizon Hobby and their engineers are looking at the problem,,this kill switch works with every other spektrum receiver I have but it won't work with the AR6210.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:12 AM
Meramec Mike
Joined Dec 2011
57 Posts
Horizon is sending me a signal booster which they say will fix the problem I am having I guess when it get's here I will see and I will post the results just in case there is anyone else that is having the same problem
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:40 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,372 Posts
I only have one gasser and yes, it works well on my DLE 20.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member