Closed Thread
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:00 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Help!
Can anyone Help Me out? Hobby King Fiasco

I posted this here and I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but I have been buying from Hobby King (HK) for about a year now and this Christmas gift issue is beyond me and I am asking for help and/or advise from my fellow aero modelers...

Long story short, I purchased a Balsa Neuport (800mm) as a gift for my son, who also flys...
I did the usual paypal transaction and waited patiently for the plane coming from the "USA Warehouse".
The Box arrived (Dec 23rd) and I knew we had an issue, so much so I grabbed my camera before I even grabbed the scissors, never a good sign

I opened the box and I discovered the fuselage was crushed during shipping... No Merry Christmas aparently....
I calmly wrote the Customer Service folks at HK and the chain of emails back and forth I am simply trying to ask for:
A) A replacement Fuselage or,
B) A credit for the purchase Price to buy a replacement fuse (if available) or,
C) A return Authorization form with a shipping label to return the kit and when received and replacement plane to replace it...

All HK wants to do is give me a "$5.00" credit for the damage?! I'm at my witts end and I need some help... Below is the email chain...

HK 1st Reply:

Matthew, Dec 24 14:39 (HKT):
Hi Dwight ,
Thanks for contacting the HobbyKing Support Team.

We are sorry to know that one of items from your order #2005812406 seems damaged arrival. To open claim file for you, please send us photos to show

1) Laid out all the parts and items clearly on a flat surface. If the item has already been assembled,

2) the whole item and broken part
3) the parcel box and the shipping label

Looking forward to your reply for further assistance.

Thanks for emailing support.
If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Regards.
Matthew
HobbyKing Support Team
Dont forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for discounts and promotions!

My reply:

Hello-

Please review the attached pics and let me know how else I can help. Thank you.

HK Second Replyafter review of my pics)

Matthew, Dec 27 17:53 (HKT):
Hi Dwight ,

Thank you for your information, the investigation for your claim has completed.
We apologize sincerely for the damaged item which you have received from order #2005812406.

Please kindly advise if you can use the product normally and keep the item , we will offer you $5.0 as compensation for the product.

Regards.
Matthew
HobbyKing Support Team

My Reply:

I am confused, the fuselage is damaged, it cannot fly.

I paid $100.00 + for a new, undamaged plane.

I would prefer either
A) a replacement fuselage... or

B) full reimbursement of my purchase.

(After review of my original invoice I sent this follow up email)

Matthew-

I apologize, I have reviewed my records and I was incorrect in my statements on the price of the kit.

The $50 refund you offered is ok with me, can you please credit my Paypal account?

Thank you, sorry for the confusion.

HK reply:

Matthew, Dec 28 09:51 (HKT):
Hi Dwight ,

Sorry for late reply. Please kindly confirm that that the offer we will provide is $5.0 instead of $50.0, and we can only offer the bonus points for warranty instead of refund.

Please advise.

Regards.
Matthew
HobbyKing Support Team

My Reply:

You must be confused, the plane is ruined from your poor shipping packaging.
I paid roughly $100 for the model and shipping,
I am respectfully asking for a replacement fuselage or a refund of my purchase price...
$5 for a completely ruined plane is an insult.
I will open a Paypal dispute if necessary.

And that's where it stands right now...
Am I missing something?
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
Last edited by Demon 6; Jan 03, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:24 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,378 Posts
You paid with PayPal? Pretty somple resolution, file a dispute with them.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:33 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,160 Posts
Have you flagged your problem up in the - HobbyKing forum - here on RCGroups, (it's down in the - Vendors forums ).
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:34 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
You paid with PayPal? Pretty somple resolution, file a dispute with them.
I did in fact contemplate filing a claim, but considering how pervasive Hobby King is on this forum I decided to ask for some guidance and maybe someone at HK can attempt to intervene (if possible)...
I'll give it a week or so, I have never had to file a claim and the Customer support horror stories I've heard about HK have never applied to my situations until now, but I'm right there with you...
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:35 PM
Victoria B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
That is why I will only use Paypal. Sorry to hear about your problem. I have 67 successful HK orders without a problem. Hope you can get this sorted out. Paypal will look after you i would think.
robbthepilot is offline Find More Posts by robbthepilot
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:39 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Have you flagged your problem up in the - HobbyKing forum - here on RCGroups, (it's down in the - Vendors forums ).
Thanks for the link, but after viewing the posted threads, it seems like I'll be pissing in prop wash over there...
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:48 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon 6 View Post
I'll give it a week or so, I have never had to file a claim and the Customer support horror stories I've heard about HK have never applied to my situations until now, but I'm right there with you...
Why wait. They've already blown you off. You gave them the opportunity to correct things, they didn't. Do what you gotta do next.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbthepilot View Post
That is why I will only use Paypal. Sorry to hear about your problem. I have 67 successful HK orders without a problem. Hope you can get this sorted out. Paypal will look after you i would think.
Your right there with me... I have Thousands of bucks spent there too, "Platinum Level" whatever that's good for lol....

I suppose the consensus is to open a PayPal claim.... Alrighty then.... (dragging feet to the computer... FML)
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:00 PM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
583 Posts
If you win your PayPal dispute and keep the plane, some CA and ironing should fix her up.
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:02 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
602 Posts
paypal claim for sure. You paid dearly to have it arrive safely. I had a retailer send me a broken plane and wanted me to fix it. Paypal claim got my money back. Make sure you ask for return shipping in your price and explain that or it's on your dime.
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:05 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
When I had a dispute with them, I argued with them for a long time and finally filed a dispute with my credit card. It was the only option that worked for me.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon 6 View Post
Your right there with me... I have Thousands of bucks spent there too, "Platinum Level" whatever that's good for lol....

I suppose the consensus is to open a PayPal claim.... Alrighty then.... (dragging feet to the computer... FML)
I would send them one last email, tell them to look at your past account activity, and explain to them that if they don't resolve this immediately, that you will not buy another product from them ever again. If they don't care, then don't EVER buy even a $5 servo from them again in the future. People putting up with their BS and continuing to order from them does nothing more than fuel that type of behavior. A good deal isn't a good deal when you're treated like crap. I'd like to know where they came up with the $5.00 reimbursement? What jerks.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:14 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,257 Posts
There policy post on there web site is to not accept the damaged package. Return to Sender for full refund.
I would just fix it if it was me.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:14 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
PP claim. Don't wait a week, the longer you wait the more difficult it will be to have PP actually do something.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:16 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
There policy post on there web site is to not accept the damaged package. Return to Sender for full refund.
I would just fix it if it was me.
Many places list this in their policy, in theory it is sound in practice they know it will never be adhered to. 1) you would actually have to be there when the package arrives. 2) in this day and age it's difficult to actually catch the delivery driver, they usually drop the package and run without so much as a knock on the door. Not to mention once delivery is attempted they can claim the package was refused, and then jerk you around on your refund.

Had a plane delivered prior to Christmas as a gift, both my wife and kid were home all day, in the living room less than 5 feet from the door, never heard anyone knock, I found the plane waiting next to the door when I got home.

Try actually calling someone at HK, escalate until it gets resolved. In reality the $5.00 credit they are offering is probably what it cost to make that replacement fuse.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Closed Thread