Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 18, 2003, 03:38 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
German Indoor Aerobatics Championship 2004

Just a heads-up for the competitors in other countries:

The German Indoor Aerobatics Championship will most likely take place on 17.- 18. April 2004. Location t.b.d., Classes scheduled are F3AI, F3AI-B and AeroMusicals.

F3AI:

1) Take-Off
2) Horizontal Eight
3) Looping
4) Four Point Roll
5) Double Immelmann with 1/2 rolls
6) Inverted Stall Turn with 1/2 rolls
7) High Hat with 1/4 rolls
8) Rolling circle with one(!) roll
9) Landing

F3AI-B:

1) Take-Off
2) Turn
3) Roll
4) Inverted Half Cuban Eight
5) Inverted Horizontal Circle with half rolls
6) Looping
7) Landing

AeroMusicals - same as 2003, but 3 rounds and 3 cups this time!

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2003, 04:41 PM
MSC Rödinghausen, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
954 Posts
Jürgen,

ouch, MSC Bussard's annual indoor meeting is scheduled on that weekend also!

Regards, Jochen
jberg is offline Find More Posts by jberg
Old Dec 18, 2003, 06:35 PM
Holland
Joined Dec 2002
107 Posts
Hi Jürgen,

Interesting schedule for F3ai to say the least. I will see if I can practice the schedule coming saturday at an indoor meeting in Holland.

I have some questions about the specified manouvres.
(1) The horizontal eight: Is this a figure eight tilted on it's side or a figure of eight in a horizontal plane? (i.e. an inside-outside loop joined in the middle or a lefthand-righthand circuit joined in the middle?)

(2) I presume the inverted stall turn with 1/2 rolls is called inverted because of the inverted entry and exit of the manouvre?

Up front i think the most challenging manouvres will be the ones that involve rolling on a vertical down line.(No's 6 and 7).

This will problably dictate the use of a very "draggy" airframe to gain time. Also it would be of benefit to know the height of the actual place of competition.

I'll let you know how things went. (Or in how many pieces the plane went.)
Bert v/d Vecht is offline Find More Posts by Bert v/d Vecht
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:44 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Hi Jochen,

I know. I discussed the dates with Hinrik before. Rothenburg had their Indoor Meeting the same weekend, but they re-scheduled their event.

Jürgen
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:51 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Hi Bert,

(1) The horizontal eight: It's a figure eight flown at consistent height.

(2) I presume the inverted stall turn with 1/2 rolls is called inverted because of the inverted entry and exit of the manouvre?

Correct, the half rolls are performed at the centerline of the hall - not in the vertical sections of the figure.

> Up front i think the most challenging manouvres will be the ones that involve rolling on a vertical down line. (No's 6 and 7).

No 7 only.

I'll let you know how things went. (Or in how many pieces the plane went.) Take it easy Bert - we know it's very challenging.

Jürgen
Old Dec 19, 2003, 03:40 AM
Holland
Joined Dec 2002
107 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up, Jürgen.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 06:59 AM
Prague Ruzyne, Czechoslovakia (former)
Joined Jan 2003
461 Posts
Jürgen,

2 questions:

1, where should we send applications?

2, how does double Immelman with half-rolls look?

Thanks,

David
David Kyjovsky is offline Find More Posts by David Kyjovsky
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:02 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Hi David,

Too early for sending applications, but you and your friends will be informed in time.

Double Immelmann or combined Immelmann:

You pull half a loop (180°) and immediately perform half a roll at the top. Fly straight and level along the hall ceiling and then push down for a negative half loop, immediately followed by half a roll. Exit should be straight and level.

Jürgen
Old Dec 20, 2003, 08:03 AM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,193 Posts
whats a high hat?
thanks
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Old Dec 20, 2003, 09:25 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
From level flight pull through to vertical, perform a quarter roll, perform a half loop to inverted, pull through to a vertical downline, perform another quarter roll and then pull up to level flight. The pull throughs are done as if you were doing a square loop.

This manoeuvre is most common in the f3A schedulaes as it allows the aircraft to get back on track if flying in a cross wind.

Nice looking manoeuvre when done properly. English translation probably more like 'Top Hat'.

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:04 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 2003
555 Posts
This Manuever sounds like what would be in the US and IMAC, A
" Humpty Bump"

Josh

Quote:
Originally posted by wildpalms
From level flight pull through to vertical, perform a quarter roll, perform a half loop to inverted, pull through to a vertical downline, perform another quarter roll and then pull up to level flight. The pull throughs are done as if you were doing a square loop.

This manoeuvre is most common in the f3A schedulaes as it allows the aircraft to get back on track if flying in a cross wind.

Nice looking manoeuvre when done properly. English translation probably more like 'Top Hat'.

--
Dave
JoshFlies3d is offline Find More Posts by JoshFlies3d
Old Dec 21, 2003, 02:38 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
My mistake: Hoher Hut = Chapeau haut de forme = Top Hat.

The Humpty Bump is a different aerobatic figure, i.e. with a half loop at the top instead of a straight line.

Jürgen
Old Dec 21, 2003, 04:58 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Josh - Couldn't find any pictures but:
http://www.gbrcaa.org/documents/sche...20Standard.pdf

11 is Top Hat and 15 is Humpty Bump.

Jurgen - I had great fun translating the French Schedule as well, and that was just French to English.

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:59 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 2003
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurgen Heilig
My mistake: Hoher Hut = Chapeau haut de forme = Top Hat.

The Humpty Bump is a different aerobatic figure, i.e. with a half loop at the top instead of a straight line.

Jürgen
I know, I said it soundly like a Humpty Bump, or something similar.

Josh
JoshFlies3d is offline Find More Posts by JoshFlies3d
Old Dec 21, 2003, 07:26 PM
Holland
Joined Dec 2002
107 Posts
Hi, Jürgen,

Ok, I flew the new program twice indoors today. Definetly more challenging, but not impossible.

I still have some questions about the required manouvres.

The top hat with 1/4 rolls:
(1) If you do both 1/4 rolls in the same direction, entry and exit are in the same direction. If you alternate roll direction, entry and exit are in opposite direction. (Like the stall turn.) Which is correct?
(2) If you are to fly the manouvre like the stall turn and change heading 180 degrees, does that mean that, like the stall turn, the start and finish are on the judges centerline and the inverted part is flown slightly off centre?
(3) Is it to be flown like a "top hat", where all sides are of equal length or like the F3a wind correction manouvre where the length of the inverted part is up to the pilot?
(4) Does it matter if you fly the inverted part towards the judges and pilot or away from them?

I had to change the prop to an 11 Inch dia. low pitch one to reduce the vertical diving speed to an acceptable level to be able to do the pull from inverted, 1/4 vertical downward roll and pullout to level flight without looking too rushed. It is certainly not for indoor venues with low ceilings especially since the two vertical parts are not in the middle off the building. Many sporting halls use a curved roof where the centerline is higher than the two sides.

The one roll rolling circle:
It is not specified as an inside rolling circle (Direction of roll is the same as the direction of turn), or an outside rolling circle (Direction of roll is opposite to the direction of turn, the way Martin Müller flies the manouvre in his aeromusical vid's.)
Is this a pilots choice?

I realize that it is hard to describe 3 dimensional patterns in words, but could you help us out once again, Jürgen? Or is there a website that has Aresti style graphics?