Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:11 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,628 Posts
winds 10plus so i flew kind easy,,lots of down drafts near ground,,plane can HANDLE wind,,,i can t
parkzone VISIONAIRE -- windy day stuff (6 min 28 sec)
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:57 PM
Central Scrutinizer
United States, MA
Joined Dec 2012
128 Posts
Looks good Dale. Wish I was flying - still snow on the ground and a soggy flying field here in Massachusetts.
cwindram is offline Find More Posts by cwindram
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:34 PM
Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
199 Posts
motor thrust

I've been following this thread and have not read anything about the up thrust in the VA. Is it just mine? I put a incidence meter on mine and showed 2 1/2 degs. of up thrust. So I put a couple washers behind the top mount and ended up with 1 deg of down thrust. I also put a Dubro electric spinner and a 11x3.8 apc as someone here sugested. Flew it today and noticed a nice improvement in verticle speed and it also seemed to hover a little easier. Had to cut the flite short because I'm in Michigan and fingers were freezing after about 4 min. I found it strange though that I didn't need any additional trim in the elevator after making the motor thrust change. If you make the change the spinner will no longer line up well with the fuse. When it gets warmer and I can get more flites on it I may change the thrust back but I've been flying for 20+ yrs and the rule has always been a few deg's down thrust and right thrust.

PS..what is a turkey roll? Ron
Flatspin is offline Find More Posts by Flatspin
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:42 PM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Richard, thanks for your comment- if you fly the APC 12x6 I will try it too.
The ESC can 55 Amps in burst (15 sec)- did you measure the amps with your wattmeter ?
Yes, i know, I should have such device but if somebody figured out a perfect prop I will use this recommend prop too.
Thanks !
I would be VERY CAREFUL using a 12x6 without knowing the actual amps it draws.................
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:18 PM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
Props: Stock vs. APC 12x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrnone View Post
I would be VERY CAREFUL using a 12x6 without knowing the actual amps it draws.................
OK...I chipped a prop on landing and the LHS was out of the OEM props. So took home the APC 12 X 6. (There are no props I could find with the stock Dia X Pitch from any other maker).

First, the wattmeter (static test):
Stock 12x4 @ 1/2 throttle=10.98a
@ 3/4 throttle=34.13a
@ Full throttle=44.10a

APC 12x6E @ 1/2 throttle=13.45a
@ 3/4 throttle=42.15a
@ Full throttle=50.16a

Actual flying: The plane seemed a bit faster with similar performance in other respects. Will need more time to see the flight differences, but the run time is maybe a minute less to similar discharge and mixed flying.

Not sure how much headroom the stock ESC has, but should be ok in the air.
The APC prop requires reaming to fit the motor shaft. The stock spinner fits, but does contact the blades somewhat.
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
Last edited by neon the cat; Feb 24, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:30 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,853 Posts
Dale, you must have set your gains for maximum grooviness. You need to go back and read that this is an underpowered highwingloaded brick and stop trying to deceive us by making it look floaty. Flat, most 3D planes have little to no thrust angle (easier to hang from prop)
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon the cat View Post
OK...I chipped a prop on landing and the LHS was out of the OEM props. So took home the APC 12 X 6. (There are no props I could find with the stock Dia X Pitch from any other maker).

First, the wattmeter (static test):
Stock 12x4 @ 1/2 throttle=10.98a
@ 3/4 throttle=34.13a
@ Full throttle=44.10a

APC 12x6E @ 1/2 throttle=13.45a
@ 3/4 throttle=42.15a
@ Full throttle=50.16a

Actual flying: The plane seemed a bit faster with similar performance in other respects. Will need more time to see the flight differences, but the run time is maybe a minute less to similar discharge and mixed flying.

Not sure how much headroom the stock ESC has, but should be ok in the air.
The APC prop requires reaming to fit the motor shaft. The stock spinner fits, but does contact the blades somewhat.
hey i think HOBBY ZONE has them in stock,, yep they do
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:03 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun View Post
Dale, you must have set your gains for maximum grooviness. You need to go back and read that this is an underpowered highwingloaded brick and stop trying to deceive us by making it look floaty. Flat, most 3D planes have little to no thrust angle (easier to hang from prop)
thanks ,,still learning to fly this grooveLESS BRICK,,winds UNPERDICTALE today,,bouncing around near the ground ,,was trying to land EASY but wind tried to stop that with gusty updafts,,,think i will put about 800 flights on vizionair brick,,then callHH to get refund,,tell them NOT HAPPY with groovless brick evil Dale HA HA HA HHAA HA
Last edited by dalecheek1; Feb 25, 2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:08 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
hey i think HOBBY ZONE has them in stock,, yep they do
You can buy an inexpensive 5mm shaft prop adapter which will accept the APC electric props "as is" - HH has em as do others your spinner will not fit this but they have a little bullet end -with a hole in them.
another propwhich you may like is the APC 13x4 electric - - if amps are too high for you, trim and balance the prop 1 little bit-I use this prop on my Fun Cub for VTO full flap takeoffs. ( EFlite 10 motor)
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:14 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatspin View Post
I've been following this thread and have not read anything about the up thrust in the VA. Is it just mine? I put a incidence meter on mine and showed 2 1/2 degs. of up thrust. So I put a couple washers behind the top mount and ended up with 1 deg of down thrust. I also put a Dubro electric spinner and a 11x3.8 apc as someone here sugested. Flew it today and noticed a nice improvement in verticle speed and it also seemed to hover a little easier. Had to cut the flite short because I'm in Michigan and fingers were freezing after about 4 min. I found it strange though that I didn't need any additional trim in the elevator after making the motor thrust change. If you make the change the spinner will no longer line up well with the fuse. When it gets warmer and I can get more flites on it I may change the thrust back but I've been flying for 20+ yrs and the rule has always been a few deg's down thrust and right thrust.

PS..what is a turkey roll? Ron
don't bother with thrust adj or try to mix controls -or other pattern plane adj- the AS3X tries to hold the last line you input
Around here, a turkey roll is like a lobster roll only made with turkey- Not to be confused with a roll in the hay
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:17 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun View Post
JUST saw your video of VISIONAIR,,,,wow our style of flying is very similar ,except for hovering,, U do it better and lower .the best i have done is about 15 ft up with no wind
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:43 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
675 Posts
I have my DX8 set up so that the Sport and 3D are on the gear switch and the High and low rates are on the Elevator switch. I have the DR/Expo that is on the Elev. switch exactly as the manual describes. I mainly fly 3D and just use Sport mode for take off when I feel like I need it. By doing this am I missing out on any of the capabilities that the Visionaire is capable of?
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:12 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
JUST saw your video of VISIONAIR,,,,wow our style of flying is very similar ,except for hovering,, U do it better and lower .the best i have done is about 15 ft up with no wind
Brian is an awesome pilot. He does everything way down low and right in front of his face!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Sep 2009
33 Posts
Love this plane. Amazing.
fastlif is offline Find More Posts by fastlif
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Guys be carefull with the APC 12x6......high chances you would damage the motor.....Specially when weather gets warmer. Not easy for ESC either. Check current before you make final choice and compare to stock prop to make a smart decision.. During all my developing test the provided prop design/size and motor Kv showed best match to the airplane performance/design.
The VA needs that up motor angle, please do not change that angle. The motor angle is very relative to CG. Check CG and do the inflight test we recommend in the manual and also I post here.
The motor, wing and stab angles are all relative to CG. The plane it is set with those angles and CG to delivery most performance in the entire flight envelope/maneuvers.
Thanks.

Quique Somenzini
Horizon Hobby
Quique Somenzini is offline Find More Posts by Quique Somenzini