HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:23 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post
Does this plane make you look like pros?

Not me - I am rubbish and the Visionaire makes me look ..... rubbish! Still, should be a great tool for me to learn 3D and aeros on....

I went too fast yesterday in 3D mode and the oscillations are very noticeable. Gear switch was pulled very quickly!
This...

and this...

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:39 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Anderson Powerpoles are excellent connectors! Most of us ham radio operators use them on our radio gear. In fact, they are the national standard in the US for all DC-powered emergency radio communications systems.
Joel
I am not going to disagree APP's are good connectors however there is a drawback in using them on planks and helis over 6S. I have found that over 6S (and to a lesser degree on 6S) the constant engaging and subsequent spark heat works the spring retainer and burns the contacts until it will allow the APP's to pull apart too easily. I do use the clip available to ensure they do not pul apart on 6S but these are a bit fiddly.

What would be great is if APP would bring out a crimped bullet connection. Solder joints are not used on "real" aircraft so it would be, to me, a boon to us weekend warrior solderers if crimped joints were available on RC.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:52 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdomification View Post
I have flown in Phoenix before (V4) and found it very unrealistic when it came to planes, especially 3D flight. The Kyosho edge is bad practice as it almost hovers hands-off and is one of the most unrealistic planes in the sim. ......Tom :-)
Have you tried turning the speed up. I think the default speed is about 80% real speed. Turn it up to 100% and then see.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:10 AM
Joined Dec 2007
175 Posts
APP Connectors

APP connectors may be crimped instead of soldered, and some say that this makes for a lower resistance bond compared to solder. The Anderson branded crimper is quite pricey, the West Mountain crimper less so. Anderson makes a 30 amp version of its connector as well as the more usual 15 amp. I do not know if the 30 amp version would solve the sparking problem. I do know that there are other ways of solving the problem that are electronically sound, but I have never looked into that as I have never flown anything beyond 3S. I use the 30 amp version only when the power cables on the battery or speed control are too large to fit into the 15 amp connector. I figure that the wires are telling me it is time for a higher amp connector.
tourist_603 is offline Find More Posts by tourist_603
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:53 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
Have you tried turning the speed up. I think the default speed is about 80% real speed. Turn it up to 100% and then see.
+1. When I used Phoenix I think I turned the speed up to 110% or somewhere in that range.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:37 AM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,870 Posts
just got back from flying vision..usually do not flyin strong winds,,today i said what the first 3 batt winds calm. then got strong real quick,mostly up drafts. at 50% throttle plane is stationary...SO i started to PLAY,,,snaps.,ke,high alfa harriers with semi hovers,,WOOT WOOT . started doing this stuff at about 50ft, then brought plane down to about 15 ft from me and 10 to 15ft high.HAD to REALLY stay on sticks as wind was shifting around a lot ...WHAT A HOOT,,, also it is snowing here right now . we might get a WHOPPING 2 inches
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:40 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
just got back from flying vision..usually do not flyin strong winds,,today i said what the first 3 batt winds calm. then got strong real quick,mostly up drafts. at 50% throttle plane is stationary...SO i started to PLAY,,,snaps.,ke,high alfa harriers with semi hovers,,WOOT WOOT . started doing this stuff at about 50ft, then brought plane down to about 15 ft from me and 10 to 15ft high.HAD to REALLY stay on sticks as wind was shifting around a lot ...WHAT A HOOT,,, also it is snowing here right now . we might get a WHOPPING 2 inches
Snowing here too but it won't stick. Tell Scotty I said hello!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:52 AM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Snowing here too but it won't stick. Tell Scotty I said hello!
LOL,LOL OK ,,,HE might send U some SWEET TEA
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:02 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Might have to bust out the 4WD today!!

Snowing like mad but this is the best kind because its nice to look at but it doesn't stick.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:09 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Turner (and anybody else who cares),

If you want a throttle curve on your visionaire, I have mine set at 0 35 65 85 100. It hovers at about half throttle and it seems to have throttle close to my other 3d planes.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:14 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Turner (and anybody else who cares),

If you want a throttle curve on your visionaire, I have mine set at 0 35 65 85 100. It hovers at about half throttle and it seems to have throttle close to my other 3d planes.
Cool thanks! I hope to fly later today so I'll try that setting.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:18 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Cool thanks! I hope to fly later today so I'll try that setting.
Ok. Tell me how it is. You might find better settings.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:03 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
I have a similar tale w/o the snow

3 paks today in 5-8mph wind, then it picked up 3 paks 8-15mph, what a blast HOOOVERS better in higher wind but blows away HAHA!!! I am up to 20 seconds HOOVER, almost ready for the sandwich eating HOOOVER contest
Only tricky part is the YOYO landings, what a BLAST!!!
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:20 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
I am not going to disagree APP's are good connectors however there is a drawback in using them on planks and helis over 6S. I have found that over 6S (and to a lesser degree on 6S) the constant engaging and subsequent spark heat works the spring retainer and burns the contacts until it will allow the APP's to pull apart too easily. I do use the clip available to ensure they do not pul apart on 6S but these are a bit fiddly.

What would be great is if APP would bring out a crimped bullet connection. Solder joints are not used on "real" aircraft so it would be, to me, a boon to us weekend warrior solderers if crimped joints were available on RC.
As Tourist_603 noted, there are higher-current versions available. Also, I never solder them. I use the crimping tool. I don't have any electrics big enough to need anything larger than 4s, as I prefer ICE power at those scales. It makes sense that charging the caps on larger ESCs would create a substantial amount of inrush current, which could definitely cause connector problems. Typically, we don't have that problem with our 12VDC ham radio gear, as there usually aren't any big caps to charge. Inrush current is a big issue with our larger DC supplies and high power tube amplifiers, however. Of course we don't use quick disconnects on the AC side, but it is standard practice to use some form of inrush current limiting in those apps to limit arcing at the power switch & limit stresses on components that are upstream from the filter caps. The large stiffening caps that are often used with high-powered car stereo systems must also be charged slowly to prevent destruction of the vehicle's electrical system.

I am somewhat surprised that inrush current limiting isn't incorporated into the design of large ESCs as standard practice.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:28 AM
scratchbuilder
Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Cologne
Joined Mar 2012
605 Posts
Here is a video of my 7th or 8th flight. Sorry for the bad quality. I am not a 3D expert but I really enjoy throwing around this plane. Is there a thread with descriptions of 3D manouvers to learn from?
Visionaire von Parkzone (2 min 56 sec)
Thomas B. is online now Find More Posts by Thomas B.