HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:09 PM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
So I have both planes and this boils down to 2 things. How good and what style your flying is, and how much space you have to fly in. The Edge QQ is NOT an easy plane to fly, I'm actually super surprised it doesn't have AS3X in it but since it's so small it's definitely not as stable as larger planes or even the UMX planes with AS3X which are smaller. That being said, it's very fast and responsive and allows you to do some serious flying in a relatively small place (think large parking lot or good size park, baseball field, etc). The Visionaire is a MUCH more stable plane and slows down even more than the much smaller Edge QQ... If you are a master at 3D, and need a really small plane to fly hardcore in small areas, the Edge QQ is probably a good choice, but if you are relatively new to 3D or just want an easy to fly plane with amazing wind tolerance and super stability yet the ability to fly hardcore 3D, the visionaire is the way to go....
Thanks very much for this well-reasoned response. My primary flying field is about 300 feet by 100 feet. I think either plane would fit fine in there. As for my flying abilities: right now my primary plane is a UM Sukhoi, which I feel very comfortable with and I can even hover the thing in the first twenty seconds or so, while the battery is super fresh. I've never tried AS3X, and I'm happy enough with the little bitty Sukhoi in 10 mph winds. (More wind than that, and the plane just flies backward.) I guess I'm still leaning EdgeQQ, since I can just set it in the trunk of the car and have it with me whenever. I feel like it would be the slightly bigger, much more powerful version of the Sukhoi that I've always wanted.

The Visionaire, from what I can tell, is a completely different bird.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:26 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe View Post
Suggest drawing your own chart just focusing on Aileron/Elevator/Rudder/Throttle directions/positions.
The Rx does not know what mode Tx is generating the signals.

David
Thanks, David - I have to take the manual and will see what I can do.
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:07 AM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk View Post
Thanks very much for this well-reasoned response. My primary flying field is about 300 feet by 100 feet. I think either plane would fit fine in there. As for my flying abilities: right now my primary plane is a UM Sukhoi, which I feel very comfortable with and I can even hover the thing in the first twenty seconds or so, while the battery is super fresh. I've never tried AS3X, and I'm happy enough with the little bitty Sukhoi in 10 mph winds. (More wind than that, and the plane just flies backward.) I guess I'm still leaning EdgeQQ, since I can just set it in the trunk of the car and have it with me whenever. I feel like it would be the slightly bigger, much more powerful version of the Sukhoi that I've always wanted.

The Visionaire, from what I can tell, is a completely different bird.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
You should try it, you will like it! I'd actually suggest the UMX Beast 3D if you like the sukhoi, I have 2 of them and overall I fly those more than anything I have from other ultra micros all the way up to 6S planes. The beasts are just amazing in wind, do most 3D aerobatics, and are a total blast to fly. Plus they are small, even smaller than the QQ and honestly I'd fly my beast in a LOT more wind than the QQ.

If you have limited space to transport planes, go for the beast or the QQ, the visionaire is a big plane even when disassembled. That being said, it's an amazing flying machine and given the choice I'd fly it over the QQ 10 times out of 10. Also, QQ won't fly off grass where the visionaire has no problem with grass.

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:52 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Has anybody measured the amp draw with the stock 12x4 propeller?

I had a propeller strike when elevator landing ( a bit hard) yesterday, and the propeller snapped off (perhaps the cold made it extra brittle, well below freezing ) - unfortunately I had not measured the amp draw before this happened. I have ordered a few spare original propellers, but it will take a few days before they arrive, and I want to fly the VA this weekend...

There is no data to be found on the motor yet, and I want to be sure that I do not fry it when trying out different props. I chanced a brief flight with a APC11x5.5E as this should be fairly similar to a 12x4 regarding load on motor, and it flew good on that one (more noticeable torque in hover, that was the main difference).

I tried to bump up the Kv from 1100 to 1250 for a Power10 in eCalc, and the 11x5.5 actually showed a little bit less current than a APC12x4E - but I want to be sure ( there is so many unknown factors here) and confirm this with a Wattmeter...

Or perhaps one of the HH guys could come up with some actual specs on the motor, that would be even better?
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:22 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,249 Posts
I did 3 or 4 more flights today. 6 mins on the timer is using 1650-1690mAh. The aircraft is lovely, and much easier to land than my T28D. However, I have a SERIOUS amount to learn:

1) Spins - I can do these either way up, flat and normal.

2) Knife edge - seems much harder than Phoenix. I think it needs both elevator and aileron coupling mixing out. Strangely, I can do a half decent one on the left side but on the right it seem to keep sinking, even on full rudder (General high rates)

3) Harriers - I think these were sort of OK either way up. I find it much harder to find the power and pitch combination than in the sim, ditto directional control.

4) Waterfall - I think I am getting these right, most amusing whatever.

5) Inverted - very easy and almost no forward pressure with battery positioned so it can't quite get into the front velcro.

6) Hover - just a joke. I can hover the Shruiken and Kyosho Red Bull in the sim and sort of hover some of the others. My attempts in the Visionaire were pathetic.

7) Rolling harriers - you are joking right? No chance.

It's a long way to Tipperary and even further for my learning curve. I'm still interested to hear what models you guys practice on in Phoenix. I am mainly using the Acromaster with tip stalling turned to zero.
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:12 PM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Hey GoAround, this plane does not fly isself??? LOL Like some have thought

I have the acromaster in real life and it loves the tipstall

In the VA I align the leading edge of the battery with the two screws that hold in the plastic battery tray and need no elevator inverted.......

I can HOOOOVER the VA longer than any plane on the sim.......
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:35 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
2,034 Posts
KaiWe, I am using an apc 11x3.8 slo flyer w/good results. You will need a spacer, I used the hub off an old slow flyer, just cut off the blades and balance. See previous post re: amp draw and warning.
Sonofagun is online now Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:20 PM
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrnone View Post
In the VA I align the leading edge of the battery with the two screws that hold in the plastic battery tray and need no elevator inverted.......
:
Just checked and that is where I am putting it as well. I will make a note to use the screws as a reference.

Apart from tip stalling, are there any similarities between Acromaster and Visionaire? (thinking Phoenix ...)

If only I could be hypnotised into having the thumb skills of people like Turnerm or ZMonster ....
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:27 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlif View Post
this plane has a wing loading that is a bit high. anything QQ touches is usually rubbish, this is another nail in the coffin.
Yeah that Beast 3D has been terrible... terribly AMAZING! (Along with just about everything QQ touches, that I have ACTUALLY FLOWN!)

Sorry, to rise to the bait on this one guys, but this post just made me laugh out loud! No issues though, everyone is allowed an opinion, mine just happens to be quite different here. That said, STILL don't have this plane, so can't comment on it, though the vast majority of the feedback from folks that own it and fly it seems to indicate it flys great. To each his own I guess ...

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post
Just checked and that is where I am putting it as well. I will make a note to use the screws as a reference.

Apart from tip stalling, are there any similarities between Acromaster and Visionaire? (thinking Phoenix ...)

If only I could be hypnotised into having the thumb skills of people like Turnerm or ZMonster ....
I have flown in Phoenix before (V4) and found it very unrealistic when it came to planes, especially 3D flight. The Kyosho edge is bad practice as it almost hovers hands-off and is one of the most unrealistic planes in the sim. The Sruiken is large and hovering larger planes is quite different as they are slower to react, at least in most cases. Phoenix is fine for working out stick movements but can also be bad practice because unlike some other sims, the actually flying physics aren't very realistic. Still, I found that the Acromaster with no tip-stalling is quite good.

Tom :-)
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:21 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
I got two more flights today in my backyard! One of them had a hover catch!
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:49 PM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post

They do fly very similar, the Acro however has a weak motor mount, weak gear, and is very sensitive to wind..........

My thumbs can only keep the VA vertical for about 20 seconds, but I can feel things improving in a very short amont of time
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:41 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,046 Posts
so does this plane make you all look like pros?
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:40 AM
Joined Sep 2011
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
No, it makes them look and FLY like pros :-)

Tom
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:54 AM
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdomification View Post
I have flown in Phoenix before (V4) and found it very unrealistic when it came to planes, especially 3D flight. The Kyosho edge is bad practice as it almost hovers hands-off and is one of the most unrealistic planes in the sim. The Sruiken is large and hovering larger planes is quite different as they are slower to react, at least in most cases. Phoenix is fine for working out stick movements but can also be bad practice because unlike some other sims, the actually flying physics aren't very realistic. Still, I found that the Acromaster with no tip-stalling is quite good.
Thanks Tom. This bears out my experience. I think I have things sussed (KE) or almost sussed (4 point rolls) then get to the field and it looks total rubbish. I will have to stop the Red Bull and Shruiken completely for the reasons you suggest and stick with the modified Acromaster. I will also have to introduce a breeze because most of yesterday had about 7kts blowing towards me with a bit of turbulence from the ridge and this finished any chance I had of anything decent as I am not used to making any corrections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Not me - I am rubbish and the Visionaire makes me look ..... rubbish! Still, should be a great tool for me to learn 3D and aeros on. What I like is that, even at my stage, it is easy to fly normally and do slow, slightly high alpha landings. I find it more stable to do stuff like this than my 60", heavy IC trainer. The rest will come ... one day ... I hope.

I forgot to add that I went too fast yesterday in 3D mode and the oscillations are very noticeable. Gear switch was pulled very quickly!