HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:33 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,000 Posts
tracknoob - totally agree about the velco being backwards, must remember to fix mine. And on the charger, hadn't checked, but the cig plug might be neat. Actually I get plenty of use out of these little chargers. Especially for my 500 ma bats for planes like the Edge and for my 1000 ma bats for flat foamies. When they go up to 2 amps, that gets me 4c for the 500's and 2 for the 1000's, so with one big charger and two or three of these at the field, I can keep going easy with not a whole lot of batteries. I keep one in my battery bag and two are stored in the van with my plane charging battery.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:42 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I bet they are awesome batteries. But I'll tell ya... I have trouble ordering those when I can get some decent Glacier batteries for $20. I just ordered 3 of them for $65 shipped!
got g force 30c,,$18.00,,ordered 40c $21.00 ---- got glacier for edge still waiting for a no wind day
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Last edited by dalecheek1; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:49 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
got g force 30c,,$18.00,,ordered 40c $21.00 ---- got glacier for edge
I've tried those before too but they didn't last very long for me. I think I only got about 50 flights out of them on my 48" Edge.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:04 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I've tried those before too but they didn't last very long for me. I think I only got about 50 flights out of them on my 48" Edge.
thanks ;;got about 30 flights at 5andhalve min,give u some feedback later .the only time i used 80 percent was at 6 and half min with light to medium throttle//i just cannot see spending 40 to 60 bucks for ONE battery,,,,,still using E FLITE batt for edge,,,about 400 flights on them,only one has lost its life
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:49 PM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
Recieved my visionaire last week. I'm not a 3d pilot ,always wanted to have a go at it. This plane has taken the boredom out of just flying around.

Even with the as3x system , you still have to fly the plane. But this plane is fantastic to fly.
medroller is offline Find More Posts by medroller
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:30 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,951 Posts
Damn, guys....I'm going to end up with one of these sooner or later if I keep on hanging out here...

The more I read this thread, the more I want to go pick one of these up - even though I'm more of a big-air flier. The 50-size Splendor is way beyond my foam limit. I strongly prefer balsa in anything larger than 30-size. Seeing what the VA can do in the wind, and the fact that you guys are working from 8 foot runways & harriering it in has perked my interest. And I already have some TP 2250s from my PA Extra 260 that would be perfect. I bet I even have a Vox prop sitting around that would work better than the factory prop. Tax return is due any day now..... Hmmm.......

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:11 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
335 Posts
DARN w all you guys buying VA's I better order some batteries before they run out LOL

tracknoob, I too replaced the velcro to match my other planes came out easily, also created tie backs, post 738 photo......
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:21 AM
Road Scholar
United States, SC, Fort Mill
Joined Oct 2012
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I bet I even have a Vox prop sitting around that would work better than the factory prop.
This brings up a question. Spare props are a must in this hobby. For a casual flier like myself, would a Vox prop make much difference? The stock prop from PZ costs $6. How much do Vox props cost?
JimmyJet727 is offline Find More Posts by JimmyJet727
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:24 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Damn, guys....I'm going to end up with one of these sooner or later if I keep on hanging out here...
Feeling the same way Joel, feeling the same way EXACTLY! Luckily, it's still winter, so I can hold for now, but as soon as spring show up, I think I'll have to unsubscribe from this forum!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:52 AM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,976 Posts
Joel, I have been waiting to hear more reports to make sure I didn't just get a good one. The airframe is well thought out, and it really is just that easy ~ out of the box. For people with limited time (most of us these days) it's a great flyer ready in an hour. That said, it is all about the fun. Time will tell, but I think all the components seem robust enough for the job. I haven't heard many or any regrets yet, and if you buy a comparable foamy and source all the components, the cost is about the same. So, this one officially gets the Sonofagun seal of approval...Did I mention its fun to fly?
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:39 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,281 Posts
Quote:
The 50-size Splendor is way beyond my foam limit. I strongly prefer balsa in anything larger than 30-size.
Joel
Joel,

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Splendor just because it has a high foam content ! The carbon reinforcement stiffens the airframe considerably. As a shrunken-down version of Quique's all-up, no kidding, F3A competition airplane (also called Splendor), the EFL version features the benefits of the latest in F3A design. I can tell you it flies awesome. We've even included an APC prop, just for you! Although, considering all the experimenting you do, I'm not sure even THAT would satisfy you...
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:57 AM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Joel,

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Splendor just because it has a high foam content ! The carbon reinforcement stiffens the airframe considerably. As a shrunken-down version of Quique's all-up, no kidding, F3A competition airplane (also called Splendor), the EFL version features the benefits of the latest in F3A design. I can tell you it flies awesome. We've even included an APC prop, just for you! Although, considering all the experimenting you do, I'm not sure even THAT would satisfy you...
We need a date! Are they on the water yet? Just when I think I don't need anything more from HH for a while and then along comes this. HH always comes out the winner!
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:57 AM
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Dec 2012
47 Posts
The Visionaire is the coolest damn plane... We had a blast flying it at Maniacs. Check the video out =p

Horizon's AS3X technology is awesome! It's always super windy when we're trying to fly behind the store but it makes it much much easier.
ManiacsDane is offline Find More Posts by ManiacsDane
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:58 AM
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
So after reading up on all the good news about it, I just had to have one, after all I am very happy with all the things QQ had a hand in! (being the little and big Stryker and the UMX Beast 3D) Only positives here!

Still thinking to possibly buy the DX18QQ, although I can't justify the expense (yet) as to what it would replace (a 12X)...

Anyway, looking forward to getting the plane tomorrow, so far the only "flaw" I found is that it lacks a clear canopy with a nice pilot figure. Does anybody have any ideas? (not only on the canopy, but scalewise as well (kinda hard as it is not based off of a real airplane I guess)
Parkflyerplastics maybe? (altough unfortunately shipping from them to Europe is insanely priced...)

HH (Dave) thanks for bringing out all these great models and inventions, that keep the hobby ever so interesting!
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:10 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJet727 View Post
This brings up a question. Spare props are a must in this hobby. For a casual flier like myself, would a Vox prop make much difference? The stock prop from PZ costs $6. How much do Vox props cost?
Jimmy,

I can't tell you if it would make a difference without trying it. Optimizing a prop for any plane requires flight-testing. For optimum performance, a prop must match the airframe, powerplant, flying style, and the elevation. Regarding the price - Vox 12" & 13" props are $8-9 USD: http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/c...?cid=70&pcid=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Feeling the same way Joel, feeling the same way EXACTLY! Luckily, it's still winter, so I can hold for now, but as soon as spring show up, I think I'll have to unsubscribe from this forum!
RG,

I've pretty much decided that I'm pulling the trigger on this one when my tax-return shows up. I think this plane will fly differently enough from my 48" PA Extra to be a great addition to my hangar. There may be some windsurfing videos in the future! You know, like my 25 MPH windsurfing videos with the Beast 3D - but with higher winds and a much larger plane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun View Post
Joel, I have been waiting to hear more reports to make sure I didn't just get a good one. The airframe is well thought out, and it really is just that easy ~ out of the box. For people with limited time (most of us these days) it's a great flyer ready in an hour. That said, it is all about the fun. Time will tell, but I think all the components seem robust enough for the job. I haven't heard many or any regrets yet, and if you buy a comparable foamy and source all the components, the cost is about the same. So, this one officially gets the Sonofagun seal of approval...Did I mention its fun to fly?
SOG,

That's pretty much what I'm thinking, now that the plane has been on the market for awhile. All of the pilots whom I trust are literally raving about this plane, and the videos back them up. Endorsements don't get much better than that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Joel,

Dave,

I have absolutely no doubt that the Carbon-Z Splendor will be an excellent precision ship. After all, QQ was involved! I should have been more specific. It's not so much the foam construction as it is the size & choice of power system. I tend to prefer ICE power when things get much above the single 3s 2200/3200 pack range. I'd rather fly with glow or gas at those power levels. Preferably gas, as I am no longer as fond of glow as I once was. I hesitate to go electric at sizes where high-cycle-life, high-performance packs go for $100-150+, and I am not willing to buy cheapie packs because past experience has taught me that there is no long-term cost-savings in doing so, yet I have to put up with inferior performance. I know how to make a four-stroke last for decades, and I am not the least bit shy to overhaul my own engines. For me, the advantages of 4-stroke gas outweigh the advantages of electric above a certain power-level.

So, it's not the foam, per se, at 50-size - it's more about the choice of power system at this size. And now Saito is making a full range of gas 4-strokes! That has really perked my interest in getting back into mid-size planes. I've been thinking about something like a Hangar 9 Funtana 125 or Pulse 125, powered by a Saito FG-21.

Back to the VA - I can see that you guys hit one out of the park again! I'll definitely be adding one to the hangar very soon. I also hope that you expand this power system & size to include other airframe types. For instance, scale bush planes such as a larger Carbon Cub, Cessna 185 or Beaver, scale aerobatic biplanes such as a larger Beast, a different M12-based plane, or maybe a Stearman, and full-featured warbirds such as a P-47, P-38, or Spitfire with flaps & retracts. I'm sure you guys have plenty of interesting stuff in the works, as usual. But the planes above would be amongst my favorites to see in this size-range.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member