i'm using about 2 1/2 yr old turnigy nanotech batteries!:d
new plane ,,,,,needs new batteries
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Durable

Hey guys I was just wondering how durable do you think this plane is.
Ron813 is offline Find More Posts by Ron813
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:42 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
new plane ,,,,,needs new batteries
Yeah, I know! I'm saving up for a 50cc though!
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:44 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
I'm using about 2 1/2 yr old turnigy nanotech batteries!
Yea... That would do it!! Plus it's cold where you are!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:46 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron813 View Post
Hey guys I was just wondering how durable do you think this plane is.
It's pretty durable as long as you don't completely fly it into the ground! When I was flying in my backyard yesterday, I only had about a 4 ft. x 8 ft. spot to land, so I kind of just hovered/harriered it in, then plopped it down. No damage any time, I just had to bend the gear back a little sometimes. Also, when hit LVC the one time, it kind of fell out of the sky and the wing it first and then the landing gear. Again, no damage! Just a little dirt on the SFG and I had to bend the landing gear back. There were a couple other times where it kinda plopped down, too.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
It's pretty durable as long as you don't completely fly it into the ground! When I was flying in my backyard yesterday, I only had about a 4 ft. x 8 ft. spot to land, so I kind of just hovered/harriered it in, then plopped it down. No damage any time, I just had to bend the gear back a little sometimes. Also, when hit LVC the one time, it kind of fell out of the sky and the wing it first and then the landing gear. Again, no damage! Just a little dirt on the SFG and I had to bend the landing gear back. There were a couple other times where it kinda plopped down, too.
Thanks for the reply
Ron813 is offline Find More Posts by Ron813
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:58 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,472 Posts
Back from the field, and my Visionaire maiden.

Complete success! Recharging 6 used 2200mah batteries right now. Each one was flown on a mix of general and 3D, for 6 minutes each, and that left from 38% to 54% left in the pack.

Did not do a lot of crazy stuff given conditions (time was smack in the middle of this chart

I did do the first take off on grass, and it went like a piece of cake, flew out very stable and predictably, and just worked with no worries.

I flipped it inverted, felt good, ran it across the field and realized that it was very slightly diving when upright, and very slightly climbing inverted. Rest of trim and the overall CG and balance felt great right out of the box.

Landing was easy, except it took me a little jockeying the throttle for altitude control, and some time to learn how to set up a sink rate and not give so much elevator that I transition to high alpha in that stiff wind. Obviously lots of lift in that huge and lightly loaded main wing! Even at low speeds the plane has lots of control authority, and I never felt nervous or out of control.

Once I adjusted the elevator with one and a half turns for the next flight (I used zero electronic trim tonight), it turned out to be the right direction and almost right amount -- now it was *very* slightly climbing in upright, and very slightly falling in inverted. One half turn back the other direction for batt #3, and that made flights #4, #5, #6 perfect -- no more trim or fiddling required at all. I was amazed not only at how easily I could detect that fine a change in trim, but also at how close the factory had gotten all the out-of-box adjustments!

In those later batts, I spent a little time in 3D, at higher altitude, did some snap rolls, spins, pure aileron rolls, hovered as much as wind would allow (very little), hung upside down into the wind in one spot with engine just keeping up with wind....shot a lot of touch and goes, every one of them smoother than the one before...

Eventually the light faded out and kept me from using my last 2200 batt.

While I could not really practice 3D moves tonight given my skills and the howling wind, I could tell how stable it is, and how much throw those controls surfaces have in high rates and 3D -- snaps are deliciously violent, it can flip over it about it's own length into the wind, and in general, it's all just pretty cool!

The build only took me a few minutes, and every thing fit perfectly, and the quality of parts and instructions was awesome. I did decide to use my own 'system' for Velcro -- I always place the rough part on the inside stuff like battery hold down tray or ESC mount area, radio mount, and then I put the fuzzy half on the battery or any other 'movable' pieces like ESC or receiver. So other than using my own 'system' instead of the provided stuff (which as I say, IMHO they have backwards) I just can't think of a single thing to gripe about or that I wish they'd improve.

Even when I grabbed the charger expecting it to be yet another cheesy wall wart throw away with no use to me, I was surprised to see it is actually a decent balancing field charger, with cigar lighter-connector, and will do 2 or 3 cell batts, so actually, this went right into the truck and will probably get some use.

Quality of foam, graphics, and mechanical pieces is excellent.

I expected to need to balance the prop, but it seemed smooth enough to just let it go -- might do some dynamic balancing later to see if it can be even better, but not really needed.

This one is a real winner.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:03 PM
Road Scholar
United States, SC, Fort Mill
Joined Oct 2012
98 Posts
Quote:
No damage any time, I just had to bend the gear back a little sometimes.
Same here. And it wasn't any particularly hard hits. In fact it was in tall grass. The gear seems a little wimpy. But so long as it bends back, I guess that's okay. I may put some bigger foam tires on mine. Got some leftovers from a Parkzone ME109.
JimmyJet727 is offline Find More Posts by JimmyJet727
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:14 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,154 Posts
TO BUZZLIGHT-NOOB-----woot woot--UP ,UP and AWAY to INFINIATOY
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:16 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
TO BUZZLIGHT-NOOB-----woot woot--UP ,UP and AWAY to INFINIATOY

You're too much, bro!

Can't wait to steal away tomorrow morning first thing in the AM to try to hopefully catch some still air with it!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:18 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post

You're too much, bro!

Can't wait to steal away tomorrow morning first thing in the AM to try to hopefully catch some still air with it!
Yea - like you, I also can't wait to see how she flies in dead air. Luckily Dale and I get a lot of days where there's hardly any wind but lately... geez!! It's been crazy windy. I still fly in it but I do prefer the calmer days.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:19 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,450 Posts
You guys should try a Thunder Power 2250 65c pack in this plane. They blow all of my other packs away in my PA Extra 260 - even my Hyp 2200 VX 35c packs. They're good for 600 cycles when properly cared for & they're designed for 12 charging. I've got almost 300 cycles on mine at 8.8c charge (highest my charger will go) & they still pull nearly the same RPM as they did just after break-in.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:22 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,472 Posts
I have become a firm believer in the church of high C rating!

As I said, I did not wring it out tonight, but I can almost bet that there will be a big difference between the provided 25C batt and my GenSAce 60C-120C burst, taken from the EDFs.

I'm sure the TP 65C would be a real kick in the butt!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:26 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
You guys should try a Thunder Power 2250 65c pack in this plane. They blow all of my other packs away in my PA Extra 260 - even my Hyp 2200 VX 35c packs. They're good for 600 cycles when properly cared for & they're designed for 12 charging. I've got almost 300 cycles on mine at 8.8c charge (highest my charger will go) & they still pull nearly the same RPM as they did just after break-in.

Joel
I bet they are awesome batteries. But I'll tell ya... I have trouble ordering those when I can get some decent Glacier batteries for $20. I just ordered 3 of them for $65 shipped!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:33 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Yea - like you, I also can't wait to see how she flies in dead air. Luckily Dale and I get a lot of days where there's hardly any wind but lately... geez!! It's been crazy windy. I still fly in it but I do prefer the calmer days.
U R so right,,,first couple days winds were a calm 5 to 8mph ,no gusts or downdrafts,alot of fun,NOW winds up,down,twisty and swirly,NOT PERDICTOBLEplus rain ,have not been flying,,,