Is the recommended 2200 mah batteries working good for you guys
Airdog67 is offline Find More Posts by Airdog67
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:31 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
I get 4 minutes on mine but it's cold here right now and I don't know how good my batteries are.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Last edited by zmonster97; Feb 11, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:41 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,688 Posts
[quote=rlongenecker;24104676]general mode, sport mode, 3d mode? My dx8 is set up with two positions on the gear switch and seems to fly great in either mode. What am i missing?[/quot NOTHING
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:43 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlongenecker View Post
General Mode, Sport Mode, 3D Mode? My DX8 is set up with two positions on the gear switch and seems to fly great in either mode. What am I missing?
Nothing. Just fly it and be happy!

I will fly mine in 3D mode 100% of the time anyway.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:54 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post

U beat me posting ( nothing) LOL i also fly only 3d,,MODE,,too much YAKITY YACK about non issues,,,,,lets go fly,,got 30min untill sunset WOOT WOOT D ale
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:06 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,171 Posts
I am a relative beginner and even I found general mode with 100% rates absolutely fine. My advice (not worth much, I admit) is to do what most posters above have said and just leave everything at 100% and use the mode switch as advised.
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:08 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2010
146 Posts
Thanks

Quote:

Thanks, guys.
rlongenecker is offline Find More Posts by rlongenecker
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:17 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog67 View Post
I did 5 minutes till the timer plus about half a minute to get it landed and used only half a battery. This was on first two flights. I hope to get to the stage when 5 minutes uses 80%
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:26 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,412 Posts
For all the new chums to this great plane, if you can fly your PZ warbirds well i do not think you will have any problem with this plane on it's stated setup

Hey guys even "I" could fly it and yes i was as nervous as before it took off, but once those wheels left the ground i just new this plane was a beauty and nothing to worry about flying it in "Normal" mode. Second trip out and i was using full throws 3D and now turn to 3D 100% as soon as i'm in the air

I own a DX8 and set up the rudder for my 3 position switch DR/Expo here is my set up for anyone interested!

position 0) normal flight 70% 25% position 1) 85% 30% position 2) 100% 40% Ail and elev. On the Rudder i use same for position 0 but straight to 100% for the other 2 slots and half the Expo

Position 0) 3D flight 70% 30% position 1) 85% 35% position 2) 100% 40% again on Rudder i do as above

so that gives me 6 flight modes to choose from, i also assign all my DR/Expo controls to the Rudder Switch as i cannot flick all the switches individually yet and have the flight mode switch as the suggested Gear switch

also on "ALL!" my models i set the Throttle Curve too my Hold! switch and put all values to "0" on one side of the switch thus giving me a Throttle Cut so no accidents can happen when the system is armed, the motor won't work till i hit the switch as said i do this on all my planes as accidents do happen

hope this helps some of the newer people to this sort of plane out

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Feb 11, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlongenecker View Post
General Mode, Sport Mode, 3D Mode? My DX8 is set up with two positions on the gear switch and seems to fly great in either mode. What am I missing?
There are two flight modes: 3D and Sport. These are chosen when selecting TX type (page 7 of the ar635 manual). However since the default (and the mode that most use) is "3D", that's the mode that's assumed most are using. Now the confusion is that WITHIN the 3D flight mode, there are also two "sub" flight modes: 3D and General Flight (pos 1 and pos 0). Sport mode has "sub" modes Gear up and Gear down (pos 0 and pos 1).
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:41 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
But sport mode and general mode are two different choices. As I read it, you can't have sport mode with 3d on the gear switch. Only general and 3d. Sport mode is only enabled through programming and has different gain rates. But they do not say anything about travel in sport mode. They say travel is fixed in general and 3d as far as receiver is concerned, but you can underide them with dual rates. According to the chart, the gain is quite a bit higher in sport mode compared to general and on some axis's even 3d.
That's correct. Sport mode is selected via stick programming. Putting the system in 'sport' eliminates the general/3D flight-mode switching that you get in '3D computer' or '3D non-computer' mode, and 'sport' also lets you use all 6 rx channels. You simply set up the gains that you want & that's it. With oversize control surfaces & wild throws, a given set of gains will only be sufficient across a narrow speed envelope. Hence, why you get general & 3D settings on the gear switch when in 3D mode. With normal control-surface sizes & more scale-like throws, one set of gains is usually sufficient across a much broader speed envelope. So, if you were flying a sport-plane, scale ship, warbird, or anything with flaps & retracts, you'd use the 'sport' mode. Regardless of what the actual throw is in 'sport' mode, you'd still establish control-throws by moving the pushrods to different holes on the control horns & servo arms to get the correct control-throws.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 11, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:51 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog67 View Post
Works great. Per my last video I can confidently say that you get a solid 7 minutes before hitting LVC.

So I'd set the timer for 5:30 minutes.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:59 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Works great. Per my last video I can confidently say that you get a solid 7 minutes before hitting LVC.

So I'd set the timer for 5:30 minutes.
How? I'm only getting like 4 minutes. Although, my batteries are kind of old and I'm hard on the throttle and it is cold out right now.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:11 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
How? I'm only getting like 4 minutes. Although, my batteries are kind of old and I'm hard on the throttle and it is cold out right now.
I was using a brand new stock battery.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:21 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
I was using a brand new stock battery.
I'm using about 2 1/2 yr old turnigy nanotech batteries!