SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrnone View Post
Yes, it could be delays caused by gyros or something else feeling like expo, but there has to be something in there which enables use with the DX4 and 5?

Fly the VA at 30% and it feels like 70%..............
Why would there "have" to be Expo to enable use with the DX4 and 5? Expo is not a necessity when flying. It makes things a lot smoother and less twitchy, but it's not absolutely necessary in order to fly.

I can't say for sure if it has built in Expo or not. But I would think they'd mention it in the manual if it did. If it does have Expo, then someone needs to rewrite the manual...
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:41 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,148 Posts
SO.... I went by LHS the other day thinking maybe one of these would 'accidentally fall into my shopping cart, and by that time, what could a guy do... hmmm.... they didn't appear to have any. Asked, and they said the one they had as a demo was broken by an employee while testing in back of store.

So, I just happened to need to go by the not-so-LHS yesterday. Naturally, I figured if a Visonaire fell into my goodies while shopping, that was just nature's way of finding it a new home..... hmmm... don't appear to have any in the store. So I asked. Just sold the two they had previously ordered, would be a week or so for new ones to arrive.

Okay, so it just so happened that today I needed to check out the very-far away not so-LHS, since I feel it's my duty to visit all area hobby stores at least a couple of times per year. Kind of gives them a moral boost, ya know.

Shockingly, when I arrived at check-out the one Visionaire that they had in the store had somehow gotten stuck to my items, so before I could correct the clerk, he had already rung it up.

What could I do at this point except let it follow me home? No need to embarrass the poor clerk for his oversight.

I think I will get my workbench cleared off of some other minor tasks and be able to assemble it some time today, but not sure wind will cooperate for a maiden this afternoon, so might have to wait until tomorrow...

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:51 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
SO.... I went by LHS the other day thinking maybe one of these would 'accidentally fall into my shopping cart, and by that time, what could a guy do... hmmm.... they didn't appear to have any. Asked, and they said the one they had as a demo was broken by an employee while testing in back of store.

So, I just happened to need to go by the not-so-LHS yesterday. Naturally, I figured if a Visonaire fell into my goodies while shopping, that was just nature's way of finding it a new home..... hmmm... don't appear to have any in the store. So I asked. Just sold the two they had previously ordered, would be a week or so for new ones to arrive.

Okay, so it just so happened that today I needed to check out the very-far away not so-LHS, since I feel it's my duty to visit all area hobby stores at least a couple of times per year. Kind of gives them a moral boost, ya know.

Shockingly, when I arrived at check-out the one Visionaire that they had in the store had somehow gotten stuck to my items, so before I could correct the clerk, he had already rung it up.

What could I do at this point except let it follow me home? No need to embarrass the poor clerk for his oversight.

I think I will get my workbench cleared off of some other minor tasks and be able to assemble it some time today, but not sure wind will cooperate for a maiden this afternoon, so might have to wait until tomorrow...

LOL! I think you'll really enjoy this plane. It's pretty sweet!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:04 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,148 Posts
Thanks turnerm!

Just downloaded the SPM file into my DX8, so that was painless. Went to monitor screen and did not see any weird mixes, or other strangeness but did notice that the dual (actually triple) rates are in there (x3 surfaces) all on separate switches, PLUS the flaps and aux 2 channels are also three-way switch enabled (via flaps and aux2 toggle switches) and active too, so I definitely need to go back to QQ's awesomely detailed and much-appreciated personal post that I had previously just skimmed over, and now, take the time to really study that bad boy before my first flight.

With that many different functions on that many different switches, it might easily overwhelm a simply boy like me, if I don't take the time to get it straight ahead of time.

Seems to me (as a rookie) this might have been a PERFECT application to apply three different 'flight modes', say "beginner, sport, and 3D", all with their individual gyro gains, rates, expo, etc as appropriate for just that mode.

I know some like the custom tailoring of separate switches, but I typically like to 'gang' my rates and expos for all flight surfaces into just one switch to keep my 'pilot workload' and 'goof up factors' within my limited abilities, at least for now. I guess if I use QQ's set up as-is, this will be an opportunity to grow.
Last edited by tracknoob; Feb 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:15 PM
Team Horizon Hobby
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
Tracknoob,

With your flying skills you'll be more than fine to leave the regular dual rate switches in high rate and just use the gear switch in General Flight mode for your first flight. Then whenever you want just flip the gear switch to 3D mode for all the throw.
_Colton_ is online now Find More Posts by _Colton_
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:20 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Colton_ View Post
Tracknoob,

With your flying skills you'll be more than fine to leave the regular dual rate switches in high rate and just use the gear switch in General Flight mode for your first flight. Then whenever you want just flip the gear switch to 3D mode for all the throw.
Thanks for the tip!

I can;t express how much we really appreciate getting you guy's expert input on how to get a successful maiden and max enjoyment out of this new fangled critter!

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:23 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Thanks turnerm!

Just downloaded the SPM file into my DX8, so that was painless. Went to monitor screen and did not see any weird mixes, or other strangeness but did notice that the dual (actually triple) rates are in there (x3 surfaces) all on separate switches, PLUS the flaps and aux 2 channels are also three-way switch enabled (via flaps and aux2 toggle switches) and active too, so I definitely need to go back to QQ's awesomely detailed and much-appreciated personal post that I had previously just skimmed over, and now, take the time to really study that bad boy before my first flight.

With that many different functions on that many different switches, it might easily overwhelm a simply boy like me, if I don't take the time to get it straight ahead of time.

Seems to me (as a rookie) this might have been a PERFECT application to apply three different 'flight modes', say "beginner, sport, and 3D", all with their individual gyro gains, rates, expo, etc as appropriate for just that mode.

I know some like the custom tailoring of separate switches, but I typically like to 'gang' my rates and expos for all flight surfaces into just one switch to keep my 'pilot workload' and 'goof up factors' within my limited abilities, at least for now. I guess if I use QQ's set up as-is, this will be an opportunity to grow.
I know which SWITCH u are looking for,,i have it on my dx6i ,,,it is labled TOP GUN,,,,, i am sure U will be able to FIND it SOMEWARE on your TX
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:31 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post

I know which SWITCH u are looking for,,i have it on my dx6i ,,,it is labled TOP GUN,,,,, i am sure U will be able to FIND it SOMEWARE on your TX
heh heh

I saw you got a head start on us and have already been flying this bad boy, IceMan... but I'm on your six!!!!

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:43 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,000 Posts
Quote:
Thanks turnerm!

You can still put your 3 dr's on one switch. For sure you can tie it to the gear switch, but you should have other choices also. The instructions mention using the gear switch for dr.. Don't have a dx8, so don't know what choices they offer.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:08 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
924 Posts
..the long Gear switch at DX8 is the best solution and works perfect.
Damn, weather here is cold and windy, VA is hanging at the wall and already waiting over one week
Hope I can fly soon
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:27 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Damn, weather here is cold and windy, VA is hanging at the wall and already waiting over one week
Hope I can fly soon
Having re-read QQ's advice, and Coulton's endorsement/re-iteration of same, as well as your input, it is clear to me that this will be easy-peasy:

1) Set sub-switches to high rates and just leave them leave alone.

2) Use chnl 5 (gear) to 'sport mode' (pos 0 = low rates and A3SX gains)
for my take off and for possible full throttle fast flight.

3) When I'm finally ready to try some 3D, slip the gear switch to pos 1 (high rates and high gain) and then do some slow harriers, etc, and keep it below 75% throttle to keep from possible oscillations, etc

4) When ready to land, go to pos 0 again.

5) Over time, perhaps experiment with sub-rates to fine tune to taste.

Sounds like it's that easy!

Now to bring this bad boy in from the car, and put it together!

C'mon wind, please co-operate this afternoon!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,000 Posts
But sport mode and general mode are two different choices. As I read it, you can't have sport mode with 3d on the gear switch. Only general and 3d. Sport mode is only enabled through programming and has different gain rates. But they do not say anything about travel in sport mode. They say travel is fixed in general and 3d as far as receiver is concerned, but you can underide them with dual rates. According to the chart, the gain is quite a bit higher in sport mode compared to general and on some axis's even 3d.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Hope I can fly soon
I feel your pain. It just keeps getting windier on this side of the pond too. Passed up 20 mph last week, and it got up over 40 Sunday and is 30+ today. Then the wind is supposed to get down to 10 or so towards the end of the week but temps in lower 20's F.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:16 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,976 Posts
Track, that's the ticket! Count, I will make a butterfly flap it's wings on this side of the planet. Expect better conditions in 3 months...
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:26 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2010
146 Posts
Confusillated now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
But sport mode and general mode are two different choices. As I read it, you can't have sport mode with 3d on the gear switch. Only general and 3d. Sport mode is only enabled through programming and has different gain rates. But they do not say anything about travel in sport mode. They say travel is fixed in general and 3d as far as receiver is concerned, but you can underide them with dual rates. According to the chart, the gain is quite a bit higher in sport mode compared to general and on some axis's even 3d.
General Mode, Sport Mode, 3D Mode? My DX8 is set up with two positions on the gear switch and seems to fly great in either mode. What am I missing?
rlongenecker is offline Find More Posts by rlongenecker