HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:26 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandris View Post
cat,

This method serves me well over the years. Clean the shaft and collet with rubbing alcohol. Mix up a small amount of "JBWeld" epoxy and apply to the inside of the collet and outside of the shaft. Install the collet adapter correctly and the put your prop on, then a washer, then the nut and crank it down nice and tight. Let it sit for 24 hours and then you are good to go. No more airborn ejections.
Bob
Should not be necessary with a properly sized quality collett. You would want to be careful to not get too much epoxy so that it squeezed out into the slots between the segments of the collett. Many of them need to be able to come almost completely together when tightened down.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Turnerm - you can go take a nap now. I can't take a whole lot of you making me feel inferior in one day. Hard telling what you can make it do once you figure out that it's an airplane instead of a helicopter.

Maybe I could take one more video though without going into total depression.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:32 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
2nd flight with the VisionAire. I can tell that I'm really going to enjoy this one. I was enjoying it so much that I ignored my timer and flew to LVC which resulted in a pancake landing. No damage.

A couple of observations:
  • First - I LOVE it.
  • I think I'll setup a throttle curve as it requires a little more throttle in hover than I'm used to.
  • KE flight is locked in but it does require a hefty amount of rudder. Not a problem, just an observation.
  • Rollers are awesome. Sometimes though it feels like the AS3X locks you in and makes it difficult to turn while doing rollers. This could've also been due to the wind.
  • The AS3X system is really, really nice. It was fairly windy for a foam plane of this size and it really didn't notice the wind a bit.
  • Blenders aren't the greatest but still doable. I did a KE spin on my first flight and like the blenders... not great but still doable. This plane is more about low and slow for me.
  • I need more batteries!! I just ordered some this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uInaj...ature=youtu.be
nice flight . why didn't you land on your runway/street ?
Can't flight this weekend again...
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:57 PM
ldf
Joined Nov 2012
42 Posts
Turnerm, nice flight.

What do you have your expo set at? I have a PA Addiction X and the recommended expo is 70% but I use 50 all the way round. 20% seems a bit low or does this just change from one model to the next.

I am fairly new to all of this given that I only started flying last August so any advice would be well appreciate.

I got my VA on Friday but haven't yet had a chance to maiden her. Perhaps next Wednesday. She went together in 1 hour including radio setup which was just great. The only problem that I had with the purchase was that the battery out of the box read 3.89, 4.10 and 4.26 volts per cell. I tried balance charging but ended up at 4.14, 4.14 and 4.05. I will see if they will replace it. I have lots of 2200 3S batt's so that's not a problem.

I purchased the VA so that I could learn manoeuvres on a foamy and when I feel fully comfortable with it, take it to the Addiction. I don't want to bugger up a beautiful balsa plane and from what I have read about the VA, this may by a really good comparable to practice manoeuvres. We will see!

There may be some further adjustments to make as well. I don't get exactly the same throw in either direction for all of the control surfaces. I believe that I should be able to get 45 degrees for all travels (both directions).

ldf

PZ T28
Addiction X (Red)
FMS 1700mm P51 Mustang Red Tail
PZ VisionAire
DX8
ldf is offline Find More Posts by ldf
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:06 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Turnerm,

Nice flying! Great save at 1:10! Also enjoyed the stationary rollers at 2:55. What would you estimate the wind-speed was at the time?

Joel
LOL! Yea... I about plowed it at the 1:10 mark. The wind was right around 9-10mph. When I mentioned that we had some wind during the video I'd guess it was gusting somewhere around 12-13 but no more than that.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:11 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
One other observation. If you watch about the 3:55/4:00 minute mark you can see me trying to rock the wings (some of this is out of frame so it's harder to see but I distinctly remember it) before going into a roller. When I went to rock the wings (just a simple left/right aileron movement in quick succession) I noticed that the servos were VERY slow to respond. I'm not sure if this is because the servos themselves are slow or if it's because the AS3X was trying to hold me back.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:16 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Turnerm - I was telephoning you in the last minute of that flight.........to warn that your battery was getting very low!!!!

LOL! You've got a way with pictures pugasm (yes... that was intentional this time).
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:20 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Turnerm - you can go take a nap now. I can't take a whole lot of you making me feel inferior in one day. Hard telling what you can make it do once you figure out that it's an airplane instead of a helicopter.

Maybe I could take one more video though without going into total depression.
If I had more batteries I'd still be out there figuring this plane out a little. Oddly enough I think my maiden flight was a little better but that's usually the way it goes. I strap on the video camera and that flight never seems to be as good as the one before.

Have you flown yours yet?? I think HH is gonna sell a billion of these things.

Hats off to QQ, Dave, and the rest of the HH team - you guys really knocked one of the park. This plane is fantastic for sport flyers, those looking to get into 3D, 3D hacks like myself and 3D masters (I'd love to see Joe Smith, Wamsy, Chris Jewett or any of those guys play with this little gem). The AS3X is awesome. Even if it does get in the way sometimes (which I'm not yet convinced of... I need more stick time) it's benefits FAR outweigh and mild interference.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:21 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
nice flight . why didn't you land on your runway/street ?
Can't flight this weekend again...
Count - I was just having too much fun flying and I ignored my timer!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:26 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldf View Post
Turnerm, nice flight.

What do you have your expo set at? I have a PA Addiction X and the recommended expo is 70% but I use 50 all the way round. 20% seems a bit low or does this just change from one model to the next.

I am fairly new to all of this given that I only started flying last August so any advice would be well appreciate.

I got my VA on Friday but haven't yet had a chance to maiden her. Perhaps next Wednesday. She went together in 1 hour including radio setup which was just great. The only problem that I had with the purchase was that the battery out of the box read 3.89, 4.10 and 4.26 volts per cell. I tried balance charging but ended up at 4.14, 4.14 and 4.05. I will see if they will replace it. I have lots of 2200 3S batt's so that's not a problem.

I purchased the VA so that I could learn manoeuvres on a foamy and when I feel fully comfortable with it, take it to the Addiction. I don't want to bugger up a beautiful balsa plane and from what I have read about the VA, this may by a really good comparable to practice manoeuvres. We will see!

There may be some further adjustments to make as well. I don't get exactly the same throw in either direction for all of the control surfaces. I believe that I should be able to get 45 degrees for all travels (both directions).

ldf

PZ T28
Addiction X (Red)
FMS 1700mm P51 Mustang Red Tail
PZ VisionAire
DX8
Thanks IDF. I think you will really love this plane. I bought as something to play around with and although this will still be mostly a practice plane for me it's also going to be an absolute blast. To me it's like something in between a Crack Yak and a 3D balsa plane but it's a LOT more closer to the latter than the former.

Expo is a highly personal thing. I was very comfortable with the suggested expo (that's what I was running) but I may dial it down a bit further to something like 10 on Aileron, 10 on elevator, and 5 on rudder as I have recently found that I actually fly better with lower expo. BUT... again, I'd stress that it's highly personal and there's no right or wrong answer no matter what someone may try to tell you. So find what works for you and run with it. I'd start out with the expo recommended in the manual though.

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to measure throws on this plane. If it looks close just fly it. HH has done an awesome job on this plane so just make sure you're close to the recommended CG and let er rip!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:42 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,980 Posts
Great job Mike, I've started calling mine the Flouzy because everyone gets a turn on the sticks... I hooked mine up to Joe's e logger and after a 5 minute flight I used 1350 mah with a peak (wot vert from hover) at 43 amps and an avg of 16 amps. Hovers a little over half stick (with 11 x 3.8 slow flyer).
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:50 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandris View Post
Mix up a small amount of "JBWeld" epoxy and apply to the inside of the collet and outside of the shaft.

Bob
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:57 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun View Post
Great job Mike, I've started calling mine the Flouzy because everyone gets a turn on the sticks... I hooked mine up to Joe's e logger and after a 5 minute flight I used 1350 mah with a peak (wot vert from hover) at 43 amps and an avg of 16 amps. Hovers a little over half stick (with 11 x 3.8 slow flyer).
The flouzy! Nice!

Most of my balsa 3D planes seem to hover just below mid stick so I'm going to adjust my throttle curve to make this one do the same. It's not a big deal but it's just something that I guess I'm used. I kept finding myself have to jam on the throttle to save my hovers today.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Turnerm - no chance to fly mine yet. Crazy weather combined with company thinking that if they are gonna pay me I ought to be there. Yesterday was close, but decided not to try a maiden 12-15 mph with gusts to 20, but 36F. Today is super at 55 on the thermometer, but winds of 25-30 with predicted gusts to 40. Did get some stick time yesterday, but figured I didn't have to rush a maiden - it was just uncomfortable - one of those damp cold days. Felt way worse than temp said. I haven't worn the new off the Edge yet and still fly the sbach in the yard, so they keep me going for a while. I tend to be overcautious with relatively expensive new pretty planes I suppose.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:01 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Turnerm - no chance to fly mine yet. Crazy weather combined with company thinking that if they are gonna pay me I ought to be there. Yesterday was close, but decided not to try a maiden 12-15 mph with gusts to 20, but 36F. Today is super at 55 on the thermometer, but winds of 25-30 with predicted gusts to 40. Did get some stick time yesterday, but figured I didn't have to rush a maiden - it was just uncomfortable - one of those damp cold days. Felt way worse than temp said. I haven't worn the new off the Edge yet and still fly the sbach in the yard, so they keep me going for a while. I tend to be overcautious with relatively expensive new pretty planes I suppose.
Yea... maiden flights in those sorts of winds aren't any fun. The plane could handle it but I wouldn't have any fun in that so I'd have to agree with your choice.

Hopefully you get to fly it soon. You'll love it. I'm confident of that.