HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:50 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
The collet type adapters are much superior to the little bitty set screw ones. I have seen numerous set screw ones come loose. Any plane I get that has the set screw type does not get flown until I change it to a collett.
That's funny I do the exact opposite! I have never trusted the collet adapters vs. set screws against flat spots on the motor shaft... I prefer above all else the prop adapters that screw right to the bell of the motor, but you usually only see those on bigger setups.

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:57 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
If you weren't 2+ hours away I'd be there!!
I know U would,, sunday U going to fly BEFORE or AFTER church or berore or after BABY is fed
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
That's funny I do the exact opposite! I have never trusted the collet adapters vs. set screws against flat spots on the motor shaft... I prefer above all else the prop adapters that screw right to the bell of the motor, but you usually only see those on bigger setups.

Tom
I don't have a lot of experience with planes, but been involved with industrial machinery all of my life and if you want a solid and precision attachment to a shaft or anything round, you would not consider a collar with a set screw, a collett is the only way to go. Precision alignment along with 100's of time the surface engagement for grip.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
I too prefer collet type adapters.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:51 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Goes together nicely. It's actually a tad smaller than I expected but that's not a bad thing because I was hoping to fly it in my front yard anyway. It's cool to see the AS3X system on a larger plane.

Can't wait to wring her out!

Oh... and I forgot how bendy higher gauge wires can be which makes installing APP's a little bit of a PITA.
I hear that. I end up using thin needle pliers to get them started grabing from the very back of wiper, then push. Probably a better tool could be hacked together for this. [EDIT] I guess they sell such a tool.
http://www.powerwerx.com/crimping-to...oval-tool.html
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Last edited by wjs; Feb 09, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:34 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,118 Posts
I unexpectedly got maiden mine yesterday after almost a 2 week wait My flying club has a waterlogged entrance and soft strip due us receiving twice the normal winter rainfall in December/January. Trudging everything into the strip from the car was a PITA but I had the club to myself!

The winds were about 6mph with small gusts and I had an into wind runway - the bit where we normally park!

After flying my T28D like I stole it (I don't care now it has been in a tree), it was time for the maiden. I don't like how there is almost no elevator movement in Sport low rate so I used Sport high rates. I was nervous as I am only an 'advanced beginner' but the aircraft sailed smoothly skywards. After a quick inverted CG check, I did some sport aeros and spins both ways up and found it delighful. I can't do much 3D but I did try a couple of easy waterfalls. To my amazement the landing was a piece of cake. On the T28D I kept overshooting as I found it hard to judge speed in the wind but the Visionaire just seemed to 'dial in' nice.

For the second battery, I tried a bit more in 3D mode. There seemed like a lot of wing rock in normal harriers and none inverted but I am not sure how good my harriers even were. Before I knew it the 5 minute warning was going. The first battery hadn't charged again yet so I flew the T28 in a stupid fashion but then it started raining.

So, only 2 short flights, nothing impressive but enough for me to know the plane 'flies big' and will be able to do whatever I can learn to do.

I have just ordered a third battery (Overlander 25-40C) to go with an identical one and the PZ one. I think this will be enough as I can charge up to 3 at the same time and in normal club use you cannot fly all the time like I did yesterday.

I am going to look at this prop attachment now and see if I can do the elevator clevis strengthening.
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:57 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
I hear that. I end up using thin needle pliers to get them started grabing from the very back of wiper, then push. Probably a better tool could be hacked together for this. [EDIT] I guess they sell such a tool.
http://www.powerwerx.com/crimping-to...oval-tool.html
Wow! That's so cool! I used a small straight edge screw driver to press onto the back of the housing. Worked ok but that tool would be the ticket!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:02 AM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,790 Posts
Go, WTG! I knew you would like it and 2 weeks is a long wait... You guys have been getting a good soaking over there and no end in sight. You have to grab a few flights when you can. You will find every flight gets easier as you get used to it. I finally got to fly in little to no wind the other day, sun out, birds singing....awww beautiful!
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:28 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,448 Posts
Quote:
The collet type adapters are much superior to the little bitty set screw ones. I have seen numerous set screw ones come loose. Any plane I get that has the set screw type does not get flown until I change it to a collett.
Quote:
I don't have a lot of experience with planes, but been involved with industrial machinery all of my life and if you want a solid and precision attachment to a shaft or anything round, you would not consider a collar with a set screw, a collett is the only way to go. Precision alignment along with 100's of time the surface engagement for grip.
+1000!

Hence, why setscrews are never used on drill-press chucks or lathes!

I won't trust a setscrew-type adapter on any plane I care about. In fact, all of my larger, high-quality electric power systems have come with precision-machined collet-style adapters, and the instructions for many high-quality ARFs also recommend using them.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:08 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,675 Posts
OK, Turnerm - what's up. I come home from church, check the weather at your place and it says 50F with 10 mph winds - where's the video?
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:05 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
OK, Turnerm - what's up. I come home from church, check the weather at your place and it says 50F with 10 mph winds - where's the video?
Copying it to my computer as we speak! Coming up...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:36 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
2nd flight with the VisionAire. I can tell that I'm really going to enjoy this one. I was enjoying it so much that I ignored my timer and flew to LVC which resulted in a pancake landing. No damage.

A couple of observations:
  • First - I LOVE it.
  • I think I'll setup a throttle curve as it requires a little more throttle in hover than I'm used to.
  • KE flight is locked in but it does require a hefty amount of rudder. Not a problem, just an observation.
  • Rollers are awesome. Sometimes though it feels like the AS3X locks you in and makes it difficult to turn while doing rollers. This could've also been due to the wind.
  • The AS3X system is really, really nice. It was fairly windy for a foam plane of this size and it really didn't notice the wind a bit.
  • Blenders aren't the greatest but still doable. I did a KE spin on my first flight and like the blenders... not great but still doable. This plane is more about low and slow for me.
  • I need more batteries!! I just ordered some this morning.

Parkzone VisionAire - 2nd Flight (7 min 6 sec)
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:04 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,436 Posts
Turnerm - I was telephoning you in the last minute of that flight.........to warn that your battery was getting very low!!!!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:07 PM
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
Saratoga, CA USA
Joined Dec 2000
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon the cat View Post
Visionaire pilots...please check, check and re-check the tightness of the prop nut. Use a proper wrench and tighten the nut very tight.

The e-flite collet-type prop adapters do not grip the motor shaft well unless you really torque them hard. I have had this problem on other similarly equipped planes. Even when really tight, they don't seem to stay that way.

I mention this because the prop and adapter came off my Visionaire during a flight today. Now I need a new wing set due to the resulting crash. The sad thing is I had checked the prop nut just a couple of flights before. It was tight. The issue, I think, is the collet prop adapters just don't grip the shaft properly. If I can find a set-screw type adapter that fits, I'm going to install it.
cat,

This method serves me well over the years. Clean the shaft and collet with rubbing alcohol. Mix up a small amount of "JBWeld" epoxy and apply to the inside of the collet and outside of the shaft. Install the collet adapter correctly and the put your prop on, then a washer, then the nut and crank it down nice and tight. Let it sit for 24 hours and then you are good to go. No more airborn ejections.
Bob
bobandris is online now Find More Posts by bobandris
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:23 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,448 Posts
Turnerm,

Nice flying! Great save at 1:10! Also enjoyed the stationary rollers at 2:55. What would you estimate the wind-speed was at the time?

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM.