HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:21 PM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
I'm not an expert here,, but an 11.7oz Wingloading for a plane with a 45in wingspan sounds pretty good to me considering the yak has a 16oz Wingloading and the 3DHS 41 in edge has a Wingloading of about 11.5oz AND its wingspan is smaller,,,, so 11.7oz Wingloading doesn't sound THAT heavy does it????
im definitely no expert either, just a guy who enjoys flying rc planes. people always say they like as3x because it makes micros fly like larger planes. i feel the same, but in a way, the opposite (wait did that make sense?). i would like to try flying a scale plane in the 48" range that flys just like my sbach 3d. as3x turned the sbach from a fun sport flyer that experts could 3d into an amazing sport flyer that can be harriered with ease and confidence,much easier to hover,and any KE maneuver is effortless and infinite.is it cheating? maybe. is it fun? DEFINITELY! my thought was maybe putting the ar635 in a plane like the cz yak 54 which has the speed, drill bit like roll rate, and is known for being a great sport plane but a lousy 3d'r and expand its... well, Horizon.
daft punk is offline Find More Posts by daft punk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:57 PM
Joined May 2009
102 Posts
Hope Horizon sells it without a battery and charger. I have tons of light weight 3 cell 2200 batteries in all C counts. The last thing I need is a charger too.
bart4u is offline Find More Posts by bart4u
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:01 AM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,330 Posts
This plane reminds me of the Typhoon. Same target customer (sport guys looking to play w/ 3D), similar look (which I never liked, sorry, too cartoon-like), but much much more capable. Gotta love innovation.
llbr22 is online now Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:10 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,090 Posts
as long as its not gear driven like the typhoon I will love it. I love my typhoon but that whine killed me after a couple flights.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Busy Life
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:05 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Is it just me or in the short section of flying before Quique speaks could I see a bit of spoileron mixing going on there in the harrier?
Quoting myself after finding out that the ar635 doesn't support separate aileron channels, flapperon, spoileron, vtail, elevon or any other basic function. That detail just spoiled it completely for me. As has been pointed out the price reflects the extra cost of the new technology, which you can understand, but if that technology prevents you from using some of the most basic features of modern computer tx's what's the point? I was almost thinking of getting hold of one just as a way of getting an ar635 and giving the Visionaire a go while I was at it. It is true that if you take into account the separate costs the Visionaire isn't actually that bad. Taking UK prices I've found the BNF package 200 delivered, ar635 75 delivered, that means the Visionaire minus the ar635 comes in at 125. That's not bad with what we presume are great servo's a decent 40A esc and motor and even a battery and charger. Add to that your chosen cheaper rx and you've lost the as3x but with the wing of the Visionaire I would prefer to have spoileron mixing for parachutes, harriers and tight as knife edge spins. To me the ar635 would be more at home in a similar sized war bird or something that mixing isn't so important, about the only thing you'd need is aileron differential which could be done mechanically. I think Horizon are doing great things but not necessarily in the right order.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:40 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
I would prefer to have spoileron mixing for parachutes, harriers and tight as knife edge spins.
I'm curious to know how you use spoileron mixing to tighten up knife edge spins?
jcansdale is online now Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:53 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,281 Posts
Here's a YouTube link Quique just texted me of Seth flying in the Armory:

ParkZone VisionAire AS3X (5 min 32 sec)
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:35 AM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
349 Posts
Nice
bladeguy5 is online now Find More Posts by bladeguy5
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:48 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
903 Posts
I'll pick one up, it should be a popular model, I love parkkflyer 3D planes, and this one looks both capable and gentle. I put rate gyros in a E-flite Yak with better servos, and it has been one of my favorite for the last couple years. They gyros cancel wind, coupling, and smooth transitions for moves like rolling harriers, but slow snappy moves and some spins. They are set up so I can adjust them from the TX and usually fly with low gain, where it just feels like the plane is really stable, the weather is really good, and it is set up perfectly, makes it easier to learn new 3D moves. I do fly a few other 3D planes without gyros too, still fun, and I can progress faster by learning the moves on the gentler Yak first.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:15 AM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,975 Posts
Well, that should dispell the capability concerns... This plane might be a gamechanger !
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:46 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,773 Posts
Wow, it flies almost like a flat foamy!!
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:50 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
I'm curious to know how you use spoileron mixing to tighten up knife edge spins?
I'm no aerodynamics expert so I can't say how it works but in my experience it does. I set a mix up, usually on a switch, from elevator to flaps, up elevator up flaps, down elevator down flaps. The percentage I use varies on the model but I find in general the fatter the wing or more lightly loaded the higher the percentage I use. Even up to 100%, when that happens on full elevator if you move the ailerons one stays still and the other one moves. On some models I fly with the mix on most the time but I still like to have a switch to turn it off if I want to. For the knife edge spin if you enter it without the mix on and then switch it in you can actually see it tighten up. I keep meaning to do a video to show it in action as I've been asked about it a few times now when I've mentioned I use it in knife edge spins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Here's a YouTube link Quique just texted me of Seth flying in the Armory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJ4T...ature=youtu.be
That video is a lot more enlightening some very nice flying from Seth there, thanks for posting.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:43 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Wow, it flies almost like a flat foamy!!
Agree - sort of thought that in the outdoor videos --- but wait a minute, flies like my flat foamy, which cost around $135 all decked out, is almost invincible EPP foam, flies on $6 batteries, kinda puts a different light on it when I think about it.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:51 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Agree - sort of thought that in the outdoor videos --- but wait a minute, flies like my flat foamy, which cost around $135 all decked out, is almost invincible EPP foam, flies on $6 batteries, kinda puts a different light on it when I think about it.
Thing is, i think this will handle with wind much better than a foamy!
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:46 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,193 Posts
Ok, after watching the new videos I have to rethink this plane. It is much more capable than I originally thought it was. May have to pick one up soon............I dont know. Great job, Parkzone.

-joker
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458