SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:55 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
So the wife and I are getting ready to go run some errands... I just called my LHS and they have one in stock. And we'll be passing right by there. Hmmm....
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:58 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
zmonster97's Avatar
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
so the wife and i are getting ready to go run some errands... I just called my lhs and they have one in stock. And we'll be passing right by there. Hmmm....
DO It!!!!!!!!!!!
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:08 PM
lownslow
windrnone's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
So the wife and I are getting ready to go run some errands... I just called my LHS and they have one in stock. And we'll be passing right by there. Hmmm....
Do It !!!!!! I never had SOOOOOO MUCH FUUUUUN !!!!!!!!!.......
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:11 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
So the wife and I are getting ready to go run some errands... I just called my LHS and they have one in stock. And we'll be passing right by there. Hmmm....
You are a really, really thoughtful guy!

What wife wouldn't want a VisionAire for Valentine's Day......and what a romantic way of setting it up to surprise her.......she's thinks she's just going on a routine errand run......and then, suddenly, she's at her favorite LHS..........smooooooooth..............

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:11 PM
Fly Every Day
pmmartin's Avatar
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
So the wife and I are getting ready to go run some errands... I just called my LHS and they have one in stock. And we'll be passing right by there. Hmmm....
Do it!! You won't be sorry. Your wife will be so happy that you are so happy!
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_603 View Post
I plan to buy two more batteries for the VA. I will convert the connectors to Anderson Powerpoles, so whether or not the battery comes with connectors is unimportant. if I get a higher C rated battery, can I use a smaller size, perhaps 2000 mah or 1800 mah, knowing that I'll be sacrificing some duration, but still getting full performance? What have you had success with/recommend?
Anderson Powerpoles are excellent connectors! Most of us ham radio operators use them on our radio gear. In fact, they are the national standard in the US for all DC-powered emergency radio communications systems.

You can use a lower capacity pack & get more performance than the Eflite pack if you go with a high-C pack from a reputable LiPo manufacturer - such as Hyperion or Thunder Power. I've been using Thunder Power's 65c packs in my electrics for a couple years now, with excellent results. They're also designed for 12 charging, and TP claims 600 cycles before they start to fade away. I've got close to 300 cycles @ 12c charge on a few of my TP 2250 65c 3s packs. They still pull the same static RPM as they did right after break-in, so it appears that the 600-cycle claim is likely reasonable. Testing of the TP 325 mAh 65c 2s 'UMX' packs in the UMX planes shows that they do outperform higher-capacity, lower-C packs from other manufacturers who are also noted for rating their packs honestly. For instance, the TP 325 65c UMX pack provides a higher thrust-to-weight in the UMX planes than even Hyperion's 400 & 500 mAh 35c UMX packs. TP's 65c packs perform so well & last so long that I rarely buy anything else anymore.

The Thunder Power 1800 mAh 65c pack will easily blow the factory pack out of the water. Plus, you'll get around 600 cycles out of it if you care for it properly.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:46 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Anderson Powerpoles are excellent connectors! Most of us ham radio operators use them on our radio gear. In fact, they are the national standard in the US for all DC-powered emergency radio communications systems.

You can use a lower capacity pack & get more performance than the Eflite pack if you go with a high-C pack from a reputable LiPo manufacturer - such as Hyperion or Thunder Power. I've been using Thunder Power's 65c packs in my electrics for a couple years now, with excellent results. They're also designed for 12 charging, and TP claims 600 cycles before they start to fade away. I've got close to 300 cycles @ 12c charge on a few of my TP 2250 65c 3s packs. They still pull the same static RPM as they did right after break-in, so it appears that the 600-cycle claim is likely reasonable. Testing of the TP 325 mAh 65c 2s 'UMX' packs in the UMX planes shows that they do outperform higher-capacity, lower-C packs from other manufacturers who are also noted for rating their packs honestly. For instance, the TP 325 65c UMX pack provides a higher thrust-to-weight in the UMX planes than even Hyperion's 400 & 500 mAh 35c UMX packs. TP's 65c packs perform so well & last so long that I rarely buy anything else anymore.

The Thunder Power 1800 mAh 65c pack will easily blow the factory pack out of the water. Plus, you'll get around 600 cycles out of it if you care for it properly.

Joel
Cool. Who do you buy the TPs from? Just curious.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:48 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
You are a really, really thoughtful guy!

What wife wouldn't want a VisionAire for Valentine's Day......and what a romantic way of setting it up to surprise her.......she's thinks she's just going on a routine errand run......and then, suddenly, she's at her favorite LHS..........smooooooooth..............

I've mastered this art man...

To be honest I think she just lets me think I'm pulling a fast one on her. She's the brains of the family!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:02 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
......To be honest I think she just lets me think I'm pulling a fast one on her......
I hate how they do that..........smarter than we are........wifey uses my aviation weakness to trick me into doing yardwork..........

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:14 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
Cool. Who do you buy the TPs from? Just curious.
I buy them at my LHS. A number of on-line vendors also carry them, and think you can buy direct from TP, as well.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:16 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
...
The Thunder Power 1800 mAh 65c pack will easily blow the factory pack out of the water. Plus, you'll get around 600 cycles out of it if you care for it properly.

Joel
Agree with everything Joel says, wanted to emphasize the proper care point. TPs are great lipos, you get what you pay for. BUT you can degrade and/or damage an expensive TP just as quickly as a cheapo lipo by leaving it fully charged, by over discharging it, by over charging it, by failing to properly storage charge it, etc.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:21 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Agree with everything Joel says, wanted to emphasize the proper care point. TPs are great lipos, you get what you pay for. BUT you can degrade and/or damage an expensive TP just as quickly as a cheapo lipo by leaving it fully charged, by over discharging it, by over charging it, by failing to properly storage charge it, etc.
ouch. They are like 3x the price of my current batts. I can probably live with my cheapos from Grayson for now.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:32 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Agree with everything Joel says, wanted to emphasize the proper care point. TPs are great lipos, you get what you pay for. BUT you can degrade and/or damage an expensive TP just as quickly as a cheapo lipo by leaving it fully charged, by over discharging it, by over charging it, by failing to properly storage charge it, etc.
+1000!

I use an accurate, reliable charger (TP 820CD), I always land before the 80% discharge point (as measured by how many mAh it takes to recharge), and I always put a storage charge on my packs if I'm not going to fly for a few days. To prevent cold-wx over-discharge damage, I use a cold-wx charge setting if there's a chance that the pack's core temp may fall below 50 F before the flight. I also make sure that I shorten my flight-times accordingly when flying in the cold, which prevents cold-wx over-discharge damage.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Can someone help me understand mode 1 & mode 2 in the vision aire. Can you set how much the as3x helps you. Does the gear switch change from 3d to sport?
Tknight is offline Find More Posts by Tknight
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:55 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Sonofagun's Avatar
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,873 Posts
Do it Mike!
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Parkzone's New Habu 2 EDF ChuckTseeker Foamy EDFs 4270 Today 02:01 AM
For Sale New Parkzone S.E.5a w/ AR600 Rx - LPU Kevinfred Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Jul 12, 2012 12:26 AM
Sold New Parkzone S.E.5a w/ AR600 Rx - LPU Kevinfred Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Jun 23, 2012 09:10 AM