HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:45 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Actually in our part of the woods, a minivan is the preferred perfect rc plane vehicle. Good for soccer moms and rc dads.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:48 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,162 Posts
[QUOTE=runCMD;24054911]I almost didn't buy it when I saw how big the box was. Going to have trouble getting it into my Mazda 3.[/QUOTE STRAP it to your SURFBOARD RACK
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:53 PM
Petaluma, CA
Joined Aug 2009
285 Posts
lol, no rack on the Mazda 3...but my wife does drive an MPV, I'll just have to start stealing that for RC excursions. Fleet is getting big enough for it.
runCMD is offline Find More Posts by runCMD
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:28 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,162 Posts
Only did 2 batteries today,,,,winds kicking up,,,yesterday flew in steady 5+ wind no problem.Today s wind s were twisty and swirley with up,down and all a round ,especially around 5 to 15ft,,when TRYING to land , looked like a yo yo,but wings level,so went home and flew edge in back yard. trees blocked most of wind .so still had SOME FUN...............
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:34 PM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
Only did 2 batteries today,,,,winds kicking up,,,yesterday flew in steady 5+ wind no problem.Today s wind s were twisty and swirley with up,down and all a round ,especially around 5 to 15ft,,when TRYING to land , looked like a yo yo,but wings level,so went home and flew edge in back yard. trees blocked most of wind .so still had SOME FUN...............
Same here landing with S gusty wind at 90 degrees coming thru trees and houses, plane bobbing up and down like a yo yo, but wings stayed level, buddy stood there with gaping jaw, still put her on the ground nicely........... WHAT A BLAST !!!! .............
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:48 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
.......O.k. I miss that you all drive pick up's in the US, isn't it ......
LOL! Not quite everyone. Some of us actually prefer to drive vehicles that can turn a corner better than the Queen Mary. I'm in that group. The VA would easily fit in my car with the wings removed. BTW- there is no need to let the tail drag in the dirt while installing or removing the wings. Most of us who fly larger planes have an airplane caddy/flight-box of some sort that cradles the fuselage of our planes while we attach the wings. Like this one, for instance:

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:52 PM
United States, CA, Phelan
Joined Oct 2012
125 Posts
Got mine in the air tonight just befor it got dark, although i am pretty new to flying i can say this thing darn near flys itself
out of the box and in the air less then an hour, got a dozzen batteries charged for tomorrow.
hdzrtflyer is offline Find More Posts by hdzrtflyer
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:20 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzrtflyer View Post
Got mine in the air tonight just befor it got dark, although i am pretty new to flying i can say this thing darn near flys itself
out of the box and in the air less then an hour, got a dozzen batteries charged for tomorrow.
Did you fly it at all on low rates in general flight mode? Elevator movement was less than I thought it would be, so just wondering if set up by the book, is 70% in general flight mode enough to get by with? High rates in 3d are almost scary to me as I'm not a 3d'er and I completely understand that many planes perform perfectly well with very little elev movement for general aerobatics. This one just seemed a bit less than I expected.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:35 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2010
146 Posts
Are low rates sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Did you fly it at all on low rates in general flight mode? Elevator movement was less than I thought it would be, so just wondering if set up by the book, is 70% in general flight mode enough to get by with? High rates in 3d are almost scary to me as I'm not a 3d'er and I completely understand that many planes perform perfectly well with very little elev movement for general aerobatics. This one just seemed a bit less than I expected.
Yes, absolutely sufficient. The plane is fully aerobatic in low rates. Yes, the elevator travel looks insufficient, but it works just fine.

I've had my VisionAire for a week and put twenty flights on it. I also invited our club's chief instructor to fly it, and then our club's best 3D pilot. It got very positive reviews from both. This plane is just plain fun right out of the box.
Relax and enjoy it.
rlongenecker is offline Find More Posts by rlongenecker
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:16 AM
United States, CA, Phelan
Joined Oct 2012
125 Posts
Quote:
I only got 1 battery through it, flew in 3d mode on low rates. Set everthing up by the book.

When i seen the movement of the elevator in general mode i thought hell that aint enough for me so went right to 3d mode and took off
hdzrtflyer is offline Find More Posts by hdzrtflyer
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:07 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,252 Posts
The Visionaire won't easily fit my 3 series Touring (E92). I will be dismantling but I have made an extra special tool: A paper-clip bent straight with small hook at the end to pull through the aileron servo wires!

I have also made some simple hangar rash protectors: I put the tailplane bags on each tailplane and taped oversized bits of cardboard to the tops. A rubber band and hook cut into the cardboard keep them together. Two oversize bits of cardboard either side of the fin/rudder, held in place with a loop of plastic bag - the end of a tailplane bag. Now, if I catch the tail on a door post or it moves unexpectedly in the car, any forces are distributed neatly all around the surface or shrugged off.

I made rubbish wing bags from bubble wrap and a cardboard box the right size to take the two of them so they can just be popped in the car with no damage.

At the same time I made an underwing stand for the T28 fuselage as I am fed up with the fact it is hard to put in the car due having a nose gear: it would just lean on one side, stressing the tailplane. Some wing tip protectors from the Visionaire white protectors stapled up mean the wing can be stored inverted without scratching the tips.

I was amazed what I could make for no cost to make aircraft transportation easier and less damaging. It all looks gash but I don't mind.

I love that the micros come with their own 'hangar' although I wish they were smaller. The Stryker box is a good (small) size but the Sbach one is huge compared with the aircraft size. I am thinking of cutting it down massively so I can take it to the park by cycle instead of driving.

Oh, and 10 days from buying my Visionaire and still haven't flown it. Weather this weekend looks promising though.
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:30 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
bobly, there plenty of elev in gen flight mode, put rate switch on high, when you think about all the surface area it has and compare it to a warbird there is plenty, I used to take off and land in gen mode, now I just do it in 3D mode, more fun to harrier land, I too am not a 3D'r, warbirds and stryker, but this plane is soooooooo easy to fly......
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:26 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I would probably be one of the least likely to ask this, as I always set my faster aerobatic planes up to have the smallest amount of elev travel that gives me crisp tight but smooth 90's to vertical. On my pz extra in particular I have had guys at the field tell me I couldn't fly it that way as I didn't have enough elevator travel until I put it in the air and show them how tight it will actually go to vertical from horizontal. But I believe on general rates at 70% this one has even less travel than I have set up on the extra. I do have more travel set up on my flat foamy 3d style planes though and will hopefully quickly move up to more throw on this one, but usually want to at least maiden on low rates. I'm not good enough or experienced enough yet to keep myself from occasionally going into panic mode especially on a maiden when something isn't right and high throws and panic mode are incompatible.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:01 AM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
2,034 Posts
Bobbly, no fear ~ just fun. 10 seconds into your first flight and you will relax. 11 x 3.8 apc slow flyer = 45.6 amps static wot. Flight test to follow...
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:59 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun View Post
Bobbly, no fear ~ just fun. 10 seconds into your first flight and you will relax. 11 x 3.8 apc slow flyer = 45.6 amps static wot. Flight test to follow...
So you are using a SF 11" prop rated at 5,909 RPM MAX at 45.6 amps?

Excellent we look forward to that flight report. YIKES!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member