HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:14 AM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Yesterday I noticed three ripped rudder hinges. The first three hinges from the top to the bottom of the rudder.
Foam was weak and there was "space" beside the glue location-see pic below.
It seems that the glue or hinge isn't flexible enough while you move the rudder in from left to the right in high rates.
I reglued all hinges with flexible "pattex extreme repair" glue and hope all is fine again.
Whoa I'll have to check mine after I get a few more flights in, that's not good at all!

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:19 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,341 Posts
Quote:
Yesterday I noticed three ripped rudder hinges. The first three hinges from the top to the bottom of the rudder.
Foam was weak and there was "space" beside the glue location-see pic below.
It seems that the glue or hinge isn't flexible enough while you move the rudder in from left to the right in high rates.
I reglued all hinges with flexible "pattex extreme repair" glue and hope all is fine again.
Slap a little Uhu Por or Welders (if you test and the foam is compatable) on that joint, and you'll have a stronger and more flexible joint than the original!

Best way in the world to repair or even replace these live hinges on foamies.

No muss, no fuss!
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:45 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,453 Posts
checked mine, all fine

cheers for the heads up though

chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:21 AM
Road Scholar
United States, SC, Fort Mill
Joined Oct 2012
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp View Post
It's officially my windy day plane! Cheers
This is definitely true. If you got a bad itch on a windy day, the VisionAire is the airplane to fly.

And yes thanks SLK for the heads up on the rudder hinges.
JimmyJet727 is offline Find More Posts by JimmyJet727
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:15 AM
Joined Dec 2011
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
Word! The QQ was my first eflight plane that just didn't work out of the box. the set screws on the motor shaft were not tight and it took me too long to figure out why the power loss.

Sorry to continue the thread derailment, but I'll close with this: I'll probably buy the visionaire at my LHS later this week :-)
Totally hear you on the QQ, I actually just completely replaced the prop adapater with another eflite standard one for a couple of bucks, now I can use normal props instead of the paper mache ones that they sell for that plane. It's too bad since it's such a nice plane in concept, and once the issues are worked out it's a great flier!

Tom
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:52 AM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
Interesting to note that there are many 540 QQ pilots here, now flying the Visionaire. I had to get one after a pal let me fly his. I was hooked immediately. With only 2 flights so far, it's unbelievably good!

Regarding the relative quality of the two planes...the 540 is a beautiful flying.... piece of junk. Had I flown the Visonaire before the Edge, I would have never wasted my money on the Edge. I have been repairing and tweaking my Edge from day one. And it's never been abused. It has the durability of an eggshell!

The Visionaire has exceeded my expectations for quality, and it's great flying ability completes the package.
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:56 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon the cat View Post
Interesting to note that there are many 540 QQ pilots here, now flying the Visionaire. I had to get one after a pal let me fly his. I was hooked immediately. With only 2 flights so far, it's unbelievably good!

Regarding the relative quality of the two planes...the 540 is a beautiful flying.... piece of junk. Had I flown the Visonaire before the Edge, I would have never wasted my money on the Edge. I have been repairing and tweaking my Edge from day one. And it's never been abused. It has the durability of an eggshell!

The Visionaire has exceeded my expectations for quality, and it's great flying ability completes the package.

I've given up on the umx's because of the lack of durability. I came close to getting the 540 but refrained because I was focused on the Crack Yak and other 32 inch profile foamies. They are so much more durable and easy to fix, slower for flying around my house.

That said.... VisionAire has my attention and may suck me back into the HH camp!
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:39 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Tom,
I'm 1/3 through the Reactor build, used HS65HB's on ailerons and HS65MG's out back. I really look forward to flying her especially after your great comments. The VisionAir is probably going to be at my house before the Reactor gets it maiden.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:48 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringdreamer View Post
I've given up on the umx's because of the lack of durability. I came close to getting the 540 but refrained because I was focused on the Crack Yak and other 32 inch profile foamies. They are so much more durable and easy to fix, slower for flying around my house.

That said.... VisionAire has my attention and may suck me back into the HH camp!
I think I will eventually end up with a Great White. That said, the Edge is, imho, a bold stroke in a good direction -- a step beyond the UMX size, but still smaller than a park flyer like the SEa5 or Stinson, so as to keep it easily manageable on a baseball diamond or backyard. I think the construction techniques of trying to lighten and also stiffen the foamies with carbon has had some good results, but like all new ventures, not everything goes perfect first time out. The Edge is still one of my favorites to fly, and the ESC, servos, and motor are pretty nice pieces, if a *tiny* bit on the fragile side (but strong usually costs weight and money!). What killed them on the Edge is lack of QC, big time.

Glad to hear that the bigger more robust Visonaire apparently is a much cleaner launch! Hope this is all not seen as too-off topic for the thread, as it does give a chance to compare relative 'value' and 'quality' on different models, and as you said, if I knew then what I know now, I would likely have a Visionaire and not an Edge.

We need to remember also, that Reynolds numbers are a huge issue, so always in terms of getting best flight characteristics, with all else equal:

UMX << Edge-size << Visionaire << Large scale << 1:1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Tom,
I'm 1/3 through the Reactor build, used HS65HB's on ailerons and HS65MG's out back. I really look forward to flying her especially after your great comments. The VisionAir is probably going to be at my house before the Reactor gets it maiden.

Blu
Perfect choice on the servos. I still have some 3114's in mine but as they die I replace them with HS65's. I wouldn't even compare the Visionaire and the reactor bipe, completely different class of airplane. Visionaire is a lot of fun and can be flown in small spaces but MAKE SURE you have plenty of room for the reactor bipe, I'm telling you when you open it up it's a bullet! I smile every time I fly it, and though it flies unbelievably well in high alpha, most of the time I fly WOT just to see it spin through the air like a blur and do 90 degree turns. Total tank of a plane that loves to be abused!

Tom
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringdreamer View Post

UMX Beast 3d is one of my favorite planes EVER. I have two of them, the only plane that I have two of. You absolutely need to do some mods to add durability, but with strategic placement of .5mm CF rod and an hour's worth of work, the little beast can be made to be pretty durable. Certainly not compared to my mini crack yak or other EPP models, but you won't fly those in 20+MPH winds which I routinely fly my little beastie in. Generally speaking, that plane is the only one in the air at the field when the wind really picks up. UMX SBACH 3D is also a good flier and not bad in the durability dept (except for the SFG's, I've had sets literally EXPLODE on a hard landing!).

The Edge QQ is a nice plane just bad QC. I haven't had durability issues with it so much as initial assembly quirks and goofy proprietary prop and adapter, etc. Nothing I didn't overcome with a little work and a small investment in standard parts.

Got a pack through my Visionaire today at lunch in 15+mph winds, COLD but what a great little flier, definitely a lot of fun, flies better as I get used to flying it more! VERY capable airframe, rudder authority in KE is probably my only gripe so far...

Tom
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:50 PM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun View Post
Flew with a 11 x 4.75 slow flyer today. First pack in a.m. At 50 degrees. All good. Two packs on way home at 65 degrees. Seemed a little hot for me. Without strict throttle management you will smoke something. It does hover at a little over half stick and punch out from hover is much improved. The wide blades definately get more air to tail feathers. Might try an 11 x 3.8 ? I have access to an e logger this weekend but forecast calls for rain. Anyone else tested any props? I just can' t get used to the ducted fan feel of the original. Maybe a zoar?
How about 4S????.........
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:31 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
928 Posts
after reglue the hinges in the rudder, all is fixed and perfect now
-
Yes, I'm afraid I have to agree some comments but you can't really compare the Edge 540QQ with the Visionaire or UMX ones. All have their own feeling and last but not least everybody has to find his own decision what kind of plane is "double" in his fleet or downgraded in interesting...
Sold my UMX SBach after I have flown my Edge 540QQ...Edge feels grown up and now Visionaire keeps this feeling for itself
By the way...the Visionaire is a "all day and all location flyer" approx similar with my Stryker 27Q- very important in my fleet !!! The Edge 540QQ will be good for calm and sunny days, especially looking forward to the comming summer evenings....she has to stay and has a complete different flight feeling
-
Back to the Visionaire.....maybe some guys and owners in future should check their car before buy that awesome plane---- Visionaire assy size is huge and maybe you need a estate car for transport.
O.k. I miss that you all drive pick up's in the US, isn't it
-
I can't recommend to remove the wings for each tranport- you have to put the plane on the back and now the rudder flap is in contact with the ground- all force/rattling/moving melt the rudder- isn't good for the foam
-
Last tip to the end- pls try grease (bike chain) at the wheels axis and the tail wheel axis- reduce rattling hard noise and sound's smooth and quiet when you roll it.
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:46 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,341 Posts
Quote:
O.k. I miss that you all drive pick up's in the US, isn't it
-
Durn tootin', pard! Either a pickup, or a suitable SUV, like the Canyonero!

Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:40 PM
Petaluma, CA
Joined Aug 2009
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Durn tootin', pard! Either a pickup, or a suitable SUV, like the Canyonero!

I almost didn't buy it when I saw how big the box was. Going to have trouble getting it into my Mazda 3.
runCMD is offline Find More Posts by runCMD