HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:30 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I agree with Bobly. I see Eflite as a premium brand compared to Parkzone.

That's not a knock on Parkzone quality at all because the quality of the two is similar but Eflite just seems to offer more premium planes... Like the UMX Beast and the QQ Edge.

Not a knock on Parkzone at all... Just a marketing perception.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:55 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
The Edge 540 QQ quality is horrible though, even though it is a nice plane.

I do like ParkZone planes, and 99% of the HH aircraft that I own, and I do want to get the VisionAire as well.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Last edited by grovey; Feb 05, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:12 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post

I do like ParkZone planes, and 99% of the HH aircraft that I own, and I do want to get the VisionAire as well.
From what I see so far the quality on VisionAire is really good. Well put together plane and design details for usability. Save some issues I see posted on the clevis'. If it would ever stop snowing, I could say for sure.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:56 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I hate you guys, I want one! Got 3 planes lined up to build including a balsa Reactor Bipe but I might just have to make em wait some more............

Blu
Which Reactor Bipe, the little EP one or the big 60 size?

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:06 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,980 Posts
Flew with a 11 x 4.75 slow flyer today. First pack in a.m. At 50 degrees. All good. Two packs on way home at 65 degrees. Seemed a little hot for me. Without strict throttle management you will smoke something. It does hover at a little over half stick and punch out from hover is much improved. The wide blades definately get more air to tail feathers. Might try an 11 x 3.8 ? I have access to an e logger this weekend but forecast calls for rain. Anyone else tested any props? I just can' t get used to the ducted fan feel of the original. Maybe a zoar?
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post

SO agree on this one, edge QQ is a really fun plane to fly and has good characteristics, but is a STEAMING PILE OF CRAP QC wise. I had to drill out holes for the wing screws and there were scratches and other blemishes in the foam, among other things. I do love that plane but it was very frustrating to see something so poor QC wise from Horizon...

VisionAire is like 180 degrees different, SO well put together, very clean!

Tom
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:25 PM
Petaluma, CA
Joined Aug 2009
285 Posts
Just picked this up from LHS - looking forward to learning to fly a plane like this. I mostly mess around with my Stryker and built a sport type flat foam plane once and flew for a bit.

EDIT: NVM - I am RTFMing - got to set up on my old 10X with DM9 module
runCMD is offline Find More Posts by runCMD
Last edited by runCMD; Feb 05, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:26 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,169 Posts
At least as viewed from the short (almost two years) time that I've had in the hobby:

The 540QQ is one of the higher points on the design/performance curve for HH.

However, it is the absolute lowest on the QC/execution scale. The. Worst.

I have three of 'em, and love the plane and have worked through all my own initial teething and assembly and shipping and adjustment and other issues related to QC. So it's not from a negatively biased observer, and having multiple issues on all three planes confirmed by others having same thing happen as reported on the thread, means it's not an anomaly, it's been pretty universal.

So, while I took it on the chin and never asked HH for parts or technical help myself, it still would have been nice to have heard from someone at HH chime in here or on their website, and at least acknowledge that yes, there were issues, and that an official plan is/was in place to 'up the bar' on quality for this specific model.

Frankly I'd have a hard time recommending this plane to others at the field who ask about it, short of that type of overt recognition of the situation, and assurance of activity to fix it.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
At least as viewed from the short (almost two years) time that I've had in the hobby:

The 540QQ is one of the higher points on the design/performance curve for HH.

However, it is the absolute lowest on the QC/execution scale. The. Worst.

I have three of 'em, and love the plane and have worked through all my own initial teething and assembly and shipping and adjustment and other issues related to QC. So it's not from a negatively biased observer, and having multiple issues on all three planes confirmed by others having same thing happen as reported on the thread, means it's not an anomaly, it's been pretty universal.

So, while I took it on the chin and never asked HH for parts or technical help myself, it still would have been nice to have heard from someone at HH chime in here or on their website, and at least acknowledge that yes, there were issues, and that an official plan is/was in place to 'up the bar' on quality for this specific model.

Frankly I'd have a hard time recommending this plane to others at the field who ask about it, short of that type of overt recognition of the situation, and assurance of activity to fix it.
VERY well put. Honestly if the VA had been of similar quality, I would not have bought it. HOWEVER having visited a hobby store and seeing how good the quality was, I see that in this case there are no quality issues whatsoever and am happy with it.

Tom
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:07 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
SO agree on this one, edge QQ is a really fun plane to fly and has good characteristics, but is a STEAMING PILE OF CRAP QC wise. I had to drill out holes for the wing screws and there were scratches and other blemishes in the foam, among other things. I do love that plane but it was very frustrating to see something so poor QC wise from Horizon...

VisionAire is like 180 degrees different, SO well put together, very clean!

Tom
Hope HH reads these forums. Cause i was THIS CLOSE to buying the QQ and then all the crappy quality posts started appearing. So HH, that cost you a sale. And even now i am cautiously watching this thread b4 buying the visionaire whereas before i would already have bought one. No more early adopter of HH products for me.
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:29 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,332 Posts
Word! The QQ was my first eflight plane that just didn't work out of the box. the set screws on the motor shaft were not tight and it took me too long to figure out why the power loss.

Sorry to continue the thread derailment, but I'll close with this: I'll probably buy the visionaire at my LHS later this week :-)
llbr22 is online now Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:58 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,529 Posts
I know nothing about 3D, but picked up a VisionAire based on my very positive experience with multiple AS3X applications (MQX, Carbon Cub, Nano CPx) and my interest in learning 3D. Today was one of those rare dry Winter days in the Pacific Northwest, but unfortunately we had 15+ mph winds with gust to 20. This would normally ground anything I would consider flying, but I the urge to fly was simply too strong to pass up. Enter the VisionAire! Not exactly a "hover", but flying with a ground speed of zero is fun never the less

It's officially my windy day plane! Cheers
marksp is online now Find More Posts by marksp
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:59 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
Which Reactor Bipe, the little EP one or the big 60 size?

Tom
The little EP one.
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:28 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
925 Posts
rudder hinges

Yesterday I noticed three ripped rudder hinges. The first three hinges from the top to the bottom of the rudder.
Foam was weak and there was "space" beside the glue location-see pic below.
It seems that the glue or hinge isn't flexible enough while you move the rudder in from left to the right in high rates.
I reglued all hinges with flexible "pattex extreme repair" glue and hope all is fine again.
SLK Count is online now Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:13 AM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
The little EP one.
You will LOVE that plane, I have one. I also have the 60 sized reactor that's on the bench now, almost finished it tonight, just need to install the canopy and set my rates and she's ready.

The little bipe is an absolutely amazing plane, I set it up with the stock configuration except for a hobbypartz ESC since the one I got from the LHS was bad. It has the rimfire .15 motor in it and it GOES like a bat out of hell when you go WOT, I believe it's over 85MPH with stock config. On 3D rates full speed full ailerons it will roll like you have never seen any plane roll before, literally a blurry drill bit through the air. TOUGH airframe too, it's come down hard several times while I was suffering from the bad ESC (it would quit at random times while in the air) one time I was doing very low harriers over the runway, maybe 7 feet up, and the ESC just died, fell straight down onto the cowl, nothing broken just a hairline crack in the paint on the bottom of the cowl. Flip it into mid rates and it's an aerobatic machine, very crisp control and awesome in wind. In 3d rates it will literally do boxes in the air, 90 degree turns, hovers great, only thing I've had trouble with is bad coupling in KE, haven't messed around with trying to mix it out on my radio yet but once I get that done there is nothing that little plane won't do. I can't say enough good things about it! Don't do the futaba 3114's they suggest though, if a butterfly farts on them they will strip... I just carved the space out a little bit and fit HS65MG's in it.

Tom