Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:15 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
AND we have a winner! Gear switch did it. I reversed the gear channel so it's by default in 3D mode. No idea why it defaults to that goofy anemic mode. SO glad. Now I just have to cut off the EC3' and solder on deans and she'll be set for tomorrow!

Tom
You remind me. I also gotta cut off the EC3 and install APP. Will be a bit hard to get that crimper in their...
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:18 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
You remind me. I also gotta cut off the EC3 and install APP. Will be a bit hard to get that crimper in their...
I highly suggest you just take the ESC out. Basically take the 1 screw to get the spinner off, one nut to take the prop off, then 3 small screws to take off the cowl. From there the ESC just pulls out the front, pull the plug out of the RX and it will come right out. MUCH easier than trying to muck with it in the plane, plus you can pull the motor wires off so it doesn't beep like crazy every time you plug in a battery while you are setting up.

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:20 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
I highly suggest you just take the ESC out. Basically take the 1 screw to get the spinner off, one nut to take the prop off, then 3 small screws to take off the cowl. From there the ESC just pulls out the front, pull the plug out of the RX and it will come right out. MUCH easier than trying to muck with it in the plane, plus you can pull the motor wires off so it doesn't beep like crazy every time you plug in a battery while you are setting up.

Tom
I actually finished before reading this. Wish I would have read first. Went ok, but your method would have be easier. I did notice something doing the stock battery. While cutting off one of the leads, it just pulled right out of the barrel like nothing. Bad solder joint from factory. Good to keep in mind these factory installed connectors can be weak. Would never had found that until it was too late, glad I found this before flight.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:59 AM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,948 Posts
Damage! Finally...something to repair. Dropped plane in knife edge attitude on aileron ~ wingtip. Doh! For those wanting to try a gyro stabilization unit in another airframe
Guardian 2D/3D stuffed into an old Q260 foamie for maiden (12 min 36 sec)
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sonofagun; Feb 02, 2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:07 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Hey Turner, guess what I just bought!
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:09 AM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
I actually finished before reading this. Wish I would have read first. Went ok, but your method would have be easier. I did notice something doing the stock battery. While cutting off one of the leads, it just pulled right out of the barrel like nothing. Bad solder joint from factory. Good to keep in mind these factory installed connectors can be weak. Would never had found that until it was too late, glad I found this before flight.
thanks for information- I will also change the connector with XT60 because I fly lots of Turnigy lipo packs.
The tracking list from DHL shows delivery to me today
SLK Count is online now Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:20 AM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun View Post
Damage! Finally...something to repair. Dropped plane in knife edge attitude on aileron ~ wingtip. Doh! For those wanting to try gyro in another airframe http://vimeo.com/58313155
WOW i need one for my CHAMP
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:23 AM
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,948 Posts
Z, you will freeze your lipos off if you try to maiden today!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:26 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Hey Turner, guess what I just bought!
Sweeeet!! Can't wait to see some video Z. Let me know what you think!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:23 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun View Post
Damage! Finally...something to repair. Dropped plane in knife edge attitude on aileron ~ wingtip. Doh! For those wanting to try a gyro stabilization unit in another airframe http://vimeo.com/58313155
Fascinating to say the least. But really confuses me also. For those that say that these systems don't help fly the plane or make things easier, this video seems to offer another side of the story. It certainly looks like this thing could make me look way better than I am and I even see a touch of that with my little Sbach with as3x. But this makes me have another question - do I really want this hobby to be easier to make me look good, or is part of the attraction the challenge of trying to learn and get to the point that I look good? And, I really don't have to look good, as I fly by myself most often, so don't have to impress anyone but myself. I'm old and a bit slow to learn and it can already be a bit of a letdown when some young pup with super reflexes, sight, hand/eye coordination and pretrained thumbs surpasses my skills in a few months or less, but how frustrating might it be down the road when a young super thumb fellow, buys the next generation of this technology, works on a sim for a few hours and comes out and does a full 3d program and then throws in an aerobatic routine for good measure. And if it becomes super easy, how many of these new flyers will stay in the hobby very long - looks like it could get pretty boring pretty quick. I know that for me, just in my short time in this addiction, the more I learn, the less of a compassion it seems to be, but I still have a long way to go. In the very beginning, I just had to fly every day with the thought of I just HAVE to learn how to do this. OK, enough rambling, but does anyone else feel this way?
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:43 AM
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,948 Posts
Just downloaded a new routine into my cranial implant.....ahhh...
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:16 AM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,692 Posts
just got back from fly ing vision,,,sun is out ,NO WIND,,,21 degrees and NO WIND,,,,low temps not a problem,,BATTERY OPERATED HEATED JACKET and GLOVES.........charging batteries ,then out the door to PRACTICE low and slow stuff,still getting used to plane. MINAMUM.hang time on hovering this baby is around 10 sec,for me
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:41 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
just got back from fly ing vision,,,sun is out ,NO WIND,,,21 degrees and NO WIND,,,,low temps not a problem,,BATTERY OPERATED HEATED JACKET and GLOVES.........charging batteries ,then out the door to PRACTICE low and slow stuff,still getting used to plane. MINAMUM.hang time on hovering this baby is around 10 sec,for me
Similar here, Dale, except windier..........so I'm practicing in-home quadcopter skills.

Nice little introductory quad, for an unbelievable price.

http://www.amazon.com/Syma-Channel-2...ywords=syma+x1

Easy to mod, for you guys who can't leave well enough alone.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:33 AM
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Dec 2000
589 Posts
For Dave Eichstedt and Quique Somenzini

Hey Guys,

I've very carefully studied the Spektrum DX8 downloadable setting for the new VisionAire. I've flown a lot of scale and sport, but not much 3D. Rather than have the Aileron and Elevator dual-rates on the AIL D/R Switch and the Rudder dual-rates on the RUDD D/R switch I'd prefer to transfer all of them to the single FMODE switch. Can you tell me what the downside would be to doing this?

One further minor change would be to put the GEAR switch's -100% (pos 0) and +100% (pos 1) for channel 5 also on the FMODE switch.

By putting in these two changes you would have:

FMODE switch (pos 0) -100% = General/Low Corrections for gyros and low rates for D/R

FMODE switch (pos 1) +100% = 3D/High Corrections for gyros and high rates for D/R

After spending more than $300 for this ship (which went together the quickest and slickest I have ever had) I'd like to get as much of the workload for my 2D brain off of which switch, when, etc and use it to concentrate on just flying the ship!

Many Thanks,
Bob
bobandris is offline Find More Posts by bobandris
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:06 PM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
335 Posts
bobly,

I hate getting sent home cause the wind came up, w gyro I can stay out longer, I added gyro to T-28 ails for that reason, but only use it to land in the wind, not flying even in wind (it is on a switch), same w visionaire, it keeps me out longer in the wind........
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone