HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:52 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrnone View Post
Turnerm, what am I missing, how do we disable it ?????
I don't know... I don't have one but I thought I recalled seeing from the very beginning that you can completely disable the gyro if you want.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:17 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
999 Posts
My only negative about this plane is that for $300 I expect something better than black painted foam for a canopy. A clear canopy with a pilot figure would have looked much nicer.
But that's just my opinion.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:38 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
888 Posts
...have information from seller that my Visionaire is shipped. Great.
Weather here is bad, stormy and windy conditions- no way to fly every kind of model plane. Forecast shows winter will be back soon.
Enough time to check the Visionaire and do my clevis mods....
SLK Count is online now Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:39 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var. View Post
I don't get how you can build an airframe around gyro stabilization. That would imply that it's so unstable it won't fly right without it. In which case I don't want one anyways.

Oh, hai there!
\
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:41 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var. View Post
I actually LIKE the visionaire and I want one. But I refuse to buy it on principal.

Huh.

I beg your pardon as I was not payin; real close attention. What was the principal that was at stake here?

Did HH do something to your cornflakes?

PS: I did go back and read your replies just now, in order to refresh myself with whatever beef it is you have. So.... your bone to pick seems to be that they build too good component level parts, and too good an airframe, then integrate it all too well, and make it work and play together as well in comparison as Apple does their electronic products... and so you are somehow afraid this wealth of competence and value will somehow lead to a 'closed architecture' in some yet to be released product. Did I restate that all just about right? That is why you refuse on principal to buy the plane that is available today, that you are telling us that you actually wish to purchase?
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:42 PM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I don't know... I don't have one but I thought I recalled seeing from the very beginning that you can completely disable the gyro if you want.
OK thanks, I too read somewhere you can turn it off, but I cant figure how, I read the manual several times and found nothing, I know we can change the gain, but that was not my impression of turning it off....................
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:44 PM
lownslow
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Huh.

I beg your pardon as I was not payin; real close attention. What was the principal that was at stake here?

Did HH do something to your cornflakes?

Too funny..
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:24 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
HK is looking better all the time if I have to mail order everything anyway.
I have the Visionaire...and I also have a couple Planes from HK as well.. HH ships their planes FREE.. The last time I ordered a plane from HK, they charged me $53.00 freight just for an ARF. Thats not too bad if the plane is sold for $53.00 less than what it's worth which I thought mine were. Where the problem comes in with HK is when there is a shipping error or damage.. Have you ever seen the HK complaint list with buyers trying to get them to make something right? Have you ever tried calling their Customer Service and got satisfied service or technical advice without waiting for hours? What about replacement parts?? I've called HH Tech Support several times and have always got the best of service.. Longest I have ever waited was less than 30 minutes...and didn't have to hold that long because you can leave your number and they will call you back. I'll be the first to admit that I did have some issues with my $300 Foamie Visionaire but with a 30 minute wait on the phone, HH sent me out 2 new digital servos without questioning me or asking for the old ones back. They even paid the shipping. I don't blame you for wanting a deal but saving a few dollars isn't always the best especially IF you ever think you might need any service or replacement parts down the road.. I only had about 15 flights before I had any issues but I can tell you that I like this plane so much that I'd gladly buy another one tomorrow if this one became un-repairable. I believe if you ever got your hands on one then you would likely feel the same way..
Cloud_Buster is offline Find More Posts by Cloud_Buster
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:26 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
I suppose we can make anything out of a box of sticks if that is the level we want to enjoy. Myself, I grow tired of building and sourcing stuff. I want to fly and get in the air. So bnf and pnp is great for me these days. I don't need to source the cheapest orange stuff I can find so that I can fell I stuck it to the man. In reality, the delta of custom sourcing plus shipping, plus time, plus labor, plus lack of fun makes it a net lose for many. Different strokes.
Totally agree with getting a plane in the air asap and even with the advent of ARF's it's a process to get a plane flying, I have several on the bench right now which is why I do love what Horizon and Hobby King and Nitroplanes offer with the PNP or BNF's. That being said, NONE of the planes that were BNF or PNP come even CLOSE to flying as well as the ones I've had to assemble... It's all about what you want to do and how you want to fly, for me I have a mix, I have a whole bunch of parkzone/eflite foamies including a large pile of ultra micros, which I love to fly in a parking lot at work or a soccer field nearby. When I take a Saturday to go to my club field, however, there's little if any foam in the car, it's my reactor bipe, aeroworks 260QBL, eflite edge540 profile balsa, 60 sized reactor, etc. Those planes are just amazing in the air, and I won't waste car space bringing the foamies. Maybe the Visionaire will be an exception, in keeping honest the carbon-Z yak is usually one I bring to the field when I want to beat on a foamy, but ultimately for me there are different use cases for these planes, and I do love to build and tweak so it's nice to fly something you have assembled and tweaked to perfection... But that's just me, different strokes for different folks, as they say...

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
OK thanks, I too read somewhere you can turn it off, but I cant figure how, I read the manual several times and found nothing, I know we can change the gain, but that was not my impression of turning it off....................
Gain to zero would effectively be turning it off I'd think. I also feel like I read somewhere that you can turn off the gyro if you want...

Tom
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Buster View Post
I have the Visionaire...and I also have a couple Planes from HK as well.. HH ships their planes FREE.. The last time I ordered a plane from HK, they charged me $53.00 freight just for an ARF. Thats not too bad if the plane is sold for $53.00 less than what it's worth which I thought mine were. Where the problem comes in with HK is when there is a shipping error or damage.. Have you ever seen the HK complaint list with buyers trying to get them to make something right? Have you ever tried calling their Customer Service and got satisfied service or technical advice without waiting for hours? What about replacement parts?? I've called HH Tech Support several times and have always got the best of service.. Longest I have ever waited was less than 30 minutes...and didn't have to hold that long because you can leave your number and they will call you back. I'll be the first to admit that I did have some issues with my $300 Foamie Visionaire but with a 30 minute wait on the phone, HH sent me out 2 new digital servos without questioning me or asking for the old ones back. They even paid the shipping. I don't blame you for wanting a deal but saving a few dollars isn't always the best especially IF you ever think you might need any service or replacement parts down the road.. I only had about 15 flights before I had any issues but I can tell you that I like this plane so much that I'd gladly buy another one tomorrow if this one became un-repairable. I believe if you ever got your hands on one then you would likely feel the same way..
I like reading people's opinions of this plane, I have yet to ready anyone say they didn't like it... Good stuff.

Agreed on the HK shipping, in fact in a recent flite test episode they interviewed the CEO of HK and asked him point blank about that, he said very strongly that people pay actual shipping, that there is no markup. This is probably true given what I know about shipping larger items like planes, it's not like a small box, they charge big bucks when you have an oddly sized item. I know Horizon has a pretty good markup, so eating the shipping costs is not that big a deal for them since they are making so much profit on the plane. I've also found that if you combo up planes the overall shipping can go down, so many times I'll get buddies to all order with me and we all split the shipping.

The key to ordering anything from HK or Nitroplanes is READ THE FORUMS before you even order anything, and then while you wait the week or two it takes to come, read the forums more for whatever plane you get. I have NEVER gotten a plane from HK or NP that didn't need a whole bunch of mods before I'd even consider flying it, many times 20 or 30 bucks worth. All in though, something like the peaks bipe cost me I think $150 shipped when I got it last year (I think it was on sale and I had a coupon code for 10 percent off) and I put another 20 bucks into it between pushrod guides, orangerx, CF spar for tail reinforcement, etc so for $170 I got a pretty sweet biplane which if/when a beast in comparable scale comes out would cost well over $300.

That being said, if the finally realize how much everyone wants a park scale beast with as3x and release it, I'd plunk down the cash the day it came out. AWESOME airframe that one is.

For now, I'll have to dream of such things and buy a visionaire (that new splendor is SOOOO tempting me though!!!)

Tom
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:40 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Turnerm, what am I missing, how do we disable it ?????
From what I understand from the AR635 Manual, the only way to disable it is to set all three gain percents to 0% and at that point it is considered disabled..
Cloud_Buster is offline Find More Posts by Cloud_Buster
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:47 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,148 Posts
For those wanting to change the gain, download the AR635 manual: http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...-Manual_EN.pdf

There are instructions on how to go anything from zero to 100%. Actually, -100% to +100% but I don't understand what can be negative about it - does that setting make it harder to fly than with no AS3X?

This manual is very useful. I think I read earlier that they weren't printed in time to make it into our batch of VisionAires.
GoAround is online now Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:56 PM
lownslow
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
...hmmmm Splendor, sounds good to me........
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:03 PM
lownslow
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post
For those wanting to change the gain, download the AR635 manual: http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...-Manual_EN.pdf

There are instructions on how to go anything from zero to 100%. Actually, -100% to +100% but I don't understand what can be negative about it - does that setting make it harder to fly than with no AS3X?
I believe if you have a particular channel reversed in your TX the positive gain would be in the negative direction of the programming stick from normal
Last edited by windrnone; Jan 31, 2013 at 04:12 PM.