SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:28 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,184 Posts
Apparently I have to come 6054km Dale. Just a bit far so I'll have to take a rain check!
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:37 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var. View Post
The reason HH wont sell us the ARF kit for say...$120 is because they know we'll go and build it for cheaper. They have phased out ARF kits, and I'm telling you guys...the next step is a proprietary ESC/receiver brick like the UMX models already have. The want to be the Apple of the RC world. Keep selling you locked down packages for a bigger profit margin.
I disagree with this statement. As someone mentioned above, the VisionAire, whether you like it or not, was specifically built around the AR635 receiver. So it would defeat it's intended purpose to sell this plane as a PnP. I don't think Quique and a bunch of guys smoking cigars and rubbing their hands together in a small smokey room in Champaign, Illinois nefariously set out to separate you from your hard earned Yuans!
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:58 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
337 Posts
an idea

Hey guys I got tired of wrangling with those battery straps, so I tied em back w velcro strips.............

Dale, only 519 miles, be there this evening !!!!!!
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:01 AM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Thanks Tom and i guess in some ways people see me like that but i can tell you no one has ever told me to do anything, and the planes i get from omp.com.au NOT Horizon Hobby, they do not support me at all? Anyway i just fly and report on what i see when i open the box and then fly it. I don't lie, i have no need to. I try to not have to edit my maiden footage too, but sometimes you just have to as we only have a cheap home movie camera and who wants to look at a blurred sky?. People need to realize that i know very little on the tech side of things i am after all only 3 years into actually being able to fly by myself.

Cheers "Fanboy" Chuck
No worries chuck fanboy was not meant as an insult at all in this case! I wonder how that shop gets their hands on aircraft so early, I assumed Horizon was hooking you up since you ALWAYS make me jealous with your super early reviews of their stuff!

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:05 AM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
HEY EVERYONE......wind is calm now....going to fly VISIONAIRE in my backyard,,so STOP all of that YACKITY YACK,,and come fly with me,,,,got extra batterys for EVERYONE..........................
30mph here so the griping will continue LOL...

T.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:13 AM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I agree with an earlier poster that this thread really should be about the plane, and my jury is still out on it, so I keep reading, but just could not stop myself from commenting about this program and their association with their dealers. Since this program, our closest local hobby shop has broken ties completely with HH and the next closest large shop (100 miles) is not one of their preferred partners, so I feel sort of left out in the cold. I do not like to order things, preferring to drop in to the lhs and see what rubs up against my leg like a puppy wanting me to take it home. I have no doubt that I would have had this plane from day one if I could have picked it up locally. But by not having local availability, I could easily refrain and now am talking myself out of it. Thus far since these changes it has cost my lhs over $600 from me alone, and I know of several others that would have dropped even more than that locally since the change. HK is looking better all the time if I have to mail order everything anyway.
I'm the same way, though I'm definitely not as hesitant to order things online. I much prefer driving business through my LHS, he runs it out of his mother's garage! In my case, it just means less of an impulse buy (boy I can't tell you how many planes and helis have "followed me home" from his shop...) and more of a researched educated decision... probably not a bad thing I guess. I do feel bad for him though because there are several other stores that aren't too far away that have online storefronts and do the volume required to be certified partners, so he is losing business to those shops (in my experience, the folks that run shops that do that kind of volume are more like used car salesmen...).

Back on topic, I think I'm going to pick up the Visionaire. I was tempted by that new larger as3x plane they announced yesterday, and am still going to give it thought, but I think the visionaire would be a good 3d plane to replace my aging Typhoon 2...

Tom
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:14 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
30mph here so the griping will continue LOL...
T.
Same here!

I'm just up the road a piece from Dale, but I'm looking at swaying trees and straight-out, whipping flags........

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Same here!

I'm just up the road a piece from Dale, but I'm looking at swaying trees and straight-out, whipping flags........

Yup, I'm up in Rhode Island and it's aggravating to have a 55 degree day in late January that you can't fly in because it's so windy! At this point I'd prefer 30's and no wind!!!

Tom
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:21 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
It's still quite windy in Charlotte as well. I'd say it's blowing a good steady 15mph or so but with frequent gusts up to aroun 25-30. It doesn't matter for my anyway because I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of finding time to fly today.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:21 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
I disagree with this statement. As someone mentioned above, the VisionAire, whether you like it or not, was specifically built around the AR635 receiver. So it would defeat it's intended purpose to sell this plane as a PnP. I don't think Quique and a bunch of guys smoking cigars and rubbing their hands together in a small smokey room in Champaign, Illinois nefariously set out to separate you from your hard earned Yuans!
I don't get how you can build an airframe around gyro stabilization. That would imply that it's so unstable it won't fly right without it. In which case I don't want one anyways. But I doubt that's the case. It's just an airplane.

I think the product from a marketing standpoint was built around the new receiver, but not the airframe. I'm sure it'll do fine without it.
Var. is offline Find More Posts by Var.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:28 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
I don't get how you can build an airframe around gyro stabilization. That would imply that it's so unstable it won't fly right without it. In which case I don't want one anyways. But I doubt that's the case. It's just an airplane.

I think the product from a marketing standpoint was built around the new receiver, but not the airframe. I'm sure it'll do fine without it.
It will do fine with out it. They will even let you disable it!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:09 PM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
It will do fine with out it. They will even let you disable it!
Turnerm, what am I missing, how do we disable it ?????
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:28 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Sorry to poop on your parade folks. As you can tell, I actually LIKE the visionaire and I want one. But I refuse to buy it on principal. So enjoy your new toys.

Var. is offline Find More Posts by Var.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:36 PM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to poop on your parade folks. As you can tell, I actually LIKE the visionaire and I want one. But I refuse to buy it on principal. So enjoy your new toys.

There are plenty of folks that like it and will buy it. Horizon Hobbies markets stuff that is predictable and it works as intended. They also stand behind it. I am reluctant to buy anything else as it often leads to a disappointment.
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:45 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:

I suppose we can make anything out of a box of sticks if that is the level we want to enjoy. Myself, I grow tired of building and sourcing stuff. I want to fly and get in the air. So bnf and pnp is great for me these days. I don't need to source the cheapest orange stuff I can find so that I can fell I stuck it to the man. In reality, the delta of custom sourcing plus shipping, plus time, plus labor, plus lack of fun makes it a net lose for many. Different strokes.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs