SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:59 PM
Road Scholar
United States, SC, Fort Mill
Joined Oct 2012
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post
I have just finished assembling mine. All was good so I set the DR etc. Then I set about centring the controls. Both ailerons needed adjustment and on one the servo arm was not at 90 degrees so I took it off to adjust, re-assembled and adjusted.

After that it started oscillating madly after it binds to the Tx. It sits there with that one aileron going madly up and down through 10 degrees or so and all other controls neutral. When I move the ailerons, it calms down and seems normal.
Be careful. My ailerons went "crazy" during flight. Fortunately I put her down in the tall weeds. No damage.

Here is a video of my airplane misbehaving...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2xhUTcTV9Q

I've been on the phone with HH and they are sending me a new aileron servo. However, as an experiment, I replaced the "bad" servo with a servo from my Parkzone Mustang. The problem remains. So, it may be a bad receiver.

Is anyone else seeing the same issue as in the video?

Thanks, JJ
JimmyJet727 is offline Find More Posts by JimmyJet727
Last edited by JimmyJet727; Jan 29, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:15 PM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJet727 View Post
Be careful. My ailerons went "crazy" during flight. Fortunately I put her down in the tall weeds. No damage.

I've been on the phone with HH and they are sending me a new aileron servo. However, as an experiment, I replaced the "bad" serve with a servo from my Parkzone Mustang. The problem remains. So, it may be a bad receiver.

Thanks, JJ
I am thinking if you are on a "Y" connector it should affect both servos......if it is the Rx
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:32 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
Was the servo you substituted a digital or analog? Those servos should be on a "Y" cable. Did you change any of the connections? If the servos are on a "Y" cable both servos would be acting up if the receiver was defective.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:49 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,982 Posts
Take the horn off the orig and power up.
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:51 PM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun View Post
Take the horn off the orig and power up.
What does this mean?
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:09 PM
Road Scholar
Joined Oct 2012
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrnone View Post
I am thinking if you are on a "Y" connector it should affect both servos......if it is the Rx
This is true. It's been a long process of troubleshooting. I'll report back after I get the new servo from HH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Was the servo you substituted a digital or analog? Those servos should be on a "Y" cable. Did you change any of the connections? If the servos are on a "Y" cable both servos would be acting up if the receiver was defective.
Gary
I checked and rechecked all connections. Also replaced the y-harness. As for the digital/analog question, I am not sure. Update later.

Thanks, JJ
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:10 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,982 Posts
Remove the servo arm off the original servo that came with the plane and then power up the plane to make sure you are not binding. If it is still dancing and the other servo is fine you will need to replace.
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:28 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,893 Posts
try rebinding,,,on my sbach as3x,,,,after binding, one airlon servo locked full downand twitched ,, unpluged bat. recentered servo ,,,re bound plane ,,,everything ok now....just trying to help...
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:09 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
[QUOTE=JimmyJet727;23972569]Be careful. My ailerons went "crazy" during flight. Fortunately I put her down in the tall weeds. No damage.

I've been on the phone with HH and they are sending me a new aileron servo. However, as an experiment, I replaced the "bad" serve with a servo from my Parkzone Mustang. The problem remains. So, it may be a bad receiver.

Thanks, JJ[/QUOTE

What happens when you move the aileron stick?? Does it quit jumping around and does the other servo work properly?? Just wondering because I have one aileron jumping like that but the other aileron servo doesn't work at all. This all happened after the elevator clevis sheared and the plane hit the ground. Horizon sent me two new servos out today.. One to replace the twitching one and one to replace the one not working.. The HH Tech Guy said it would be safer to just replace both and not take a chance just in case one had a short in it..and of course at no charge.. I just hope the new servos don't do the same thing..
Cloud_Buster is offline Find More Posts by Cloud_Buster
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:16 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, JJ
Any chance you damaged the servo wire when pulling wire into fuse? Plug any old servo into the female Y just to see if it jitters. If so, not the servo. If not, then servo or servo wire.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:20 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
The parkzone servos have long had issues and they finally came out with some new ones and already numerous reports of problems. Not good. Dont know why they cant seem to make good servos. ?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:32 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Please, for the love of all that is not corporate and unholy, sell me an airframe in a separate package at an ARF price. I wish more people would demand this from them.
Var. is offline Find More Posts by Var.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:42 PM
Road Scholar
Joined Oct 2012
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Buster View Post
What happens when you move the aileron stick?? Does it quit jumping around and does the other servo work properly?? Just wondering because I have one aileron jumping like that but the other aileron servo doesn't work at all.
After binding, the left aileron jumps around. If I move the stick, the left aileron continues jumping around, and the right aileron does *not* move at all. Yes same symptom.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:55 PM
Road Scholar
Joined Oct 2012
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
Any chance you damaged the servo wire when pulling wire into fuse? Plug any old servo into the female Y just to see if it jitters. If so, not the servo. If not, then servo or servo wire.
I tried several old servos and yes they all jitter. Also replaced the y-harness twice. That's why I think the problem is *not* the servo.

Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully we'll get this worked out.

JJ
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:13 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
I tried several old servos and yes they all jitter. Also replaced the y-harness twice. That's why I think the problem is *not* the servo.

Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully we'll get this worked out.

JJ
Did you try pluging servo directly into ail channel (remove the Y). Currently it defies logic why one servo would swing and other does not as they both getting same signal. Unless the *other servo is broke and the one you think is bad is good.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs