HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:41 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,163 Posts
new motor? So this isnt the pz equivalent of a power 10?

interesting
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:46 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,735 Posts
Sorry guys, while I am still waiting to see a good flight vid, and especially some from non-pro's like ourselves, I have to say I am probably ALL IN on this one! It is basically EVERYTHING that I have been asking for, and a lot of other folks as well. Regular PARKZONE size, standard 2200 mah lipos we all have BAGS of, Z-foam but like the C-Z with the re-enforced hollow wings, AS3X to help (and believe me, having owned and flown the Beast 3D, SBach 3D, Mig, HyperTaxi and mCPX I can tell you, it makes a huge difference) with learning the 3D stuff, yet the ability to tune it down or turn it off to see if you can manage on your own, I just can't say no to this one. The Vortex Generators and leading edge dimpling to maintain laminar flow while in high alpha are GREAT design features as well, with the QQ stamp of approval on it to boot. All in a Parkzone easy to set up / fly in your local park, package!

This thing looks like it SHOULD be awesome. Proof will be in the video pudding as they say, but I am SERIOUSLY stoked about this one.

Subscribed ...

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:40 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
880 Posts
This one is going to cover a good part of the market from sport flying, to beginning 3d pilot to the advanced 3d pilot. It looks like it can handle beating too. Good job guys.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:39 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I think for what it's likely meant to be (an intro/3D plane) its probably a nice offering but I don't think many experienced 3D guys are going to be jumping up and down over this one. That's not to say that I don't think it would be fun to fly but I'm just not seeing how it would complete with something like my 51" Slick. If it CAN... Then I need to be convinced of that first and then my money will follow.

But for now I'll hold my money (and my breath) for a 280-300 size Beast and/or Sbach and keep most of my 3D focus on my existing fleet of 3DHS and EF planes.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:44 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,303 Posts
/\/\/\what he said/\/\/\
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:31 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I think for what it's likely meant to be (an intro/3D plane) its probably a nice offering but I don't think many experienced 3D guys are going to be jumping up and down over this one. That's not to say that I don't think it would be fun to fly but I'm just not seeing how it would complete with something like my 51" Slick. If it CAN... Then I need to be convinced of that first and then my money will follow.

But for now I'll hold my money (and my breath) for a 280-300 size Beast and/or Sbach and keep most of my 3D focus on my existing fleet of 3DHS and EF planes.
Let me add a little more insight into this airplane.

I consider myself a very experienced 3D pilot. I've flown in many competitions with giant scale aerobatic airplanes (XFC, Tucson Shootout), electric airplanes (ETOC) yadda yadda yadda...

On one of my last trips to Asia, I had the chance to fly the VisionAire. Prior to flying it, I expected it to be a good intro 3D airplane that could do all the cool stuff everyone wanted to do (hover, harrier, etc.) for the decent sport-aerobatic guy, but kind of felt that it probably wasn't going to be an airplane I would want to just go out and have a ball with. I flew the first battery and was quickly impressed! I could do anything I could with my giant scale 3D aerobatic airplane, plus some! Harrier rolls are super easy (both directions), torque rolls both with torque and against torque (my giant scale ship won't do that!), waterfalls, tight knife edge loops, the list goes on and on.

I swapped out a few packs and kept flying the airplane over and over again. I finally stopped flying when we were out of charged batteries, and then I looked at the stack of batteries we just went through. Between myself and Mike McConville, we had flown about 15 batteries, all back to back. Tha'ts 7-8 a piece when we originally only planned on flying one!

All I can say in summary is this: Yes, I think the airplane is aimed more towards the sport aerobatic guy who wants to try/learn 3D (because this airplane is one of the easiest airplanes I've flown for 3D). HOWEVER, the more advanced 3D guys out there will be pleasantly surprised! I suggest you guys wait to make judgement calls on the airplane until you've flown it!

I WILL have one myself!

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:07 AM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
nuff said
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:25 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth View Post
Let me add a little more insight into this airplane.

I consider myself a very experienced 3D pilot. I've flown in many competitions with giant scale aerobatic airplanes (XFC, Tucson Shootout), electric airplanes (ETOC) yadda yadda yadda...

On one of my last trips to Asia, I had the chance to fly the VisionAire. Prior to flying it, I expected it to be a good intro 3D airplane that could do all the cool stuff everyone wanted to do (hover, harrier, etc.) for the decent sport-aerobatic guy, but kind of felt that it probably wasn't going to be an airplane I would want to just go out and have a ball with. I flew the first battery and was quickly impressed! I could do anything I could with my giant scale 3D aerobatic airplane, plus some! Harrier rolls are super easy (both directions), torque rolls both with torque and against torque (my giant scale ship won't do that!), waterfalls, tight knife edge loops, the list goes on and on.

I swapped out a few packs and kept flying the airplane over and over again. I finally stopped flying when we were out of charged batteries, and then I looked at the stack of batteries we just went through. Between myself and Mike McConville, we had flown about 15 batteries, all back to back. Tha'ts 7-8 a piece when we originally only planned on flying one!

All I can say in summary is this: Yes, I think the airplane is aimed more towards the sport aerobatic guy who wants to try/learn 3D (because this airplane is one of the easiest airplanes I've flown for 3D). HOWEVER, the more advanced 3D guys out there will be pleasantly surprised! I suggest you guys wait to make judgement calls on the airplane until you've flown it!

I WILL have one myself!

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
Dammit Seth!!

I was convinced I didn't need this plane and now you're making me at least rethink it. I guess I'll have to keep it on the radar to see what it's all about.

Did you find that you enjoyed flying a larger plane with the gyro on or did you turn it off?
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:22 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Dammit Seth!!

I was convinced I didn't need this plane and now you're making me at least rethink it. I guess I'll have to keep it on the radar to see what it's all about.

Did you find that you enjoyed flying a larger plane with the gyro on or did you turn it off?
I never even touched it. Left it box stock!

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:51 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth View Post
I never even touched it. Left it box stock!

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
Interesting. I really do like the AS3X system on the Beast and Sbach but I like it there not because it makes it easier to 3D but beacuse it makes it fly bigger and it handles wind much better.

I DO like that you guys have given us the option of tuning the gyro as well as flat out turning it off on these larger planes (I'm assuming there will be more)!! It's nice to have options.

I'll keep me eye on this plane.

I appreciate what you guys do for this hobby - so keep up the good work!

PS... a 280-300 size Beast would make a lot of people very happy.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:12 AM
Chile, Araucanía, Angol
Joined Jan 2012
403 Posts
1200 g a lot of weight, real 3D pilots dont need asx
javier668 is offline Find More Posts by javier668
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:44 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,661 Posts
Pardon me for asking, but if you don't have a Spektrum transmitter, what is the attraction of this plane?
Is it possible to fly this plane without the AS3X and if so, how does it fly?
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:48 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,540 Posts
Will you have one of these at the AMA Expo next week? Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:54 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier668 View Post
That's a pretty short sighted comment man. While I don't have any gyros in any of my 3D planes I've also never flown a larger 3D plane with a gyro in it. Have you?

While I agree it's not necessary to use a gyro to perform 3D maneuvers I'm not opposed to seeing what it's like to fly 3D WITH a gryo either. If it's fun... then count me in. If it's not... well, they give you a switch for that.

Don't forget what this hobby is all about. If you're having fun, keep doing it. If not, then don't.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:44 AM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier668 View Post
I will just say this as I am a foamy guy first and foremost The auw weight is my only concern. The video says 1250g AUW......For a 45" WS airplane that seems like a lot for that small of a 3D type airframe. That is pushing 3 pounds.

My AcroMaster (with 30c 3s 2450's) is only around 1100g and there is some epoxy in there from what I would call "less than perfect" landings...LOL!

Hopefully a decent video will be posted from a more capable 3D pilot and we will all see what's up
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab