HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:29 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
What is the technical reason for the 125% travel?
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:32 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
go back to page 28,,,read QQ s post
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:40 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,784 Posts
Hey! It's Enrico Palazzo!
Drebin Saves the Queen (0 min 25 sec)

seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:48 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
go back to page 28,,,read QQ s post
I read it twice. He says its required for computer tx. But I still could not tease out the reason that allows my full understanding.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:55 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,451 Posts
max rates tuned to rx........to use MAX throws at 125%
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:12 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
Because maxing the servo travel via the end-point or ATV adjustment, and then adjusting the throws at the control arms & horns allows one to utilize the full resolution of the servos.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Buster View Post
Just got my Visionaire today and I'm really impressed with the looks of this plane. I set it up exactly as stated in the manual with all travels set to 125%. I use a Spektrum DX6I DSMX radio so I only have 2 rates. Low rates set at 70% and High rates set at 100%. I also set the expos as stated in the manual. That sure looks like a lot of throws to me but of course I'm more use to flying scale type planes such as Cubs, Trojans, Taylorcraft, etc. I do have a 480 power Eflite Balsa Edge 540 3D that my low rates are set on about 30% and high rates on 70%. I am by no means a 3D pilot but eager to learn and I'm hoping this Visionaire will help me a great deal.

Any advice or tips for a newbie 3D Pilot Wannabe from some of you guys that have already flown the Visionaire?? Is there ANY plane on the Phoenix Simulator that would even come close to what this Visionaire flys like?? I have no problem flying, harrier, and hovering the Kyosho Edge 540 on the Sim with high rates set at 100% but doubt the Edge on the Sim is anything like flying the Visionaire...especially in real time.

Please.. If you have flown this plane and can help out with a few tips and advice for the first flight , I would greatly appreciate it and think that others newbies would as well. Thanks...
Glad to help!...by the way.....Good choice the VisionAire ....the plane will help you!
Glad to see you have the TX set up correctly.
First do not get worry about the control surface moving that much. Or because in your TX screen you see 100%. Turn the system on and look at the control surface. Set channel 5 to position 0 (general flight /low rate) and you would see the surfaces moving probably similar to what you are use with your other planes.
Now if you flip channel 5 to position 1 (3D/high rate) you will see the control surface to move to full travel. Then move your D/R switch to high and low position and you can see the D/R would change the rate as well. But would change in less degree. So for first flight set your D/R to high rate and then the most important set your channel 5 to position 0 (general flight/low rate) you can easily see the low rate when you move elevator stick. Take off and fly the plane. If all it is good from low to top speed, then reduce airspeed to about 1/2 and switch channel five to position 1. Because the AS3X even with the large control surface and large deflection it will still feeling docile. Of course if you bang the stick the bird would do exactly what you do!. Read my post in page 28 where I talk about how to handle 3D mode at higher speed.
Get an open space. Choose a not so windy day.fly the plane at various speed. Get familiar with the plane. Worst mistake is to go right away to what you are anxious to do. The foundation of 3D is high alpha flying or we call Harrier. So do that first. At altitude that you can see, not so high but not so low in case of mistake, reduce airspeed, flip to 3D mode and imagine that you are coming for landing. So head wind and try in front of you and imaginary flare. But you will keep pulling up elevator. The model would start to reduce rapidly airspeed, but you constantly keep pulling elevator. By now you your throttle would be few clicks above idle and the plane ready to stall. By now is when your sport aviator instinct would want to release elevator to nose down and power. For Harriers you would do opposite, pull even more the elevator to keep nose high and stall the plane. When stall happens add throttle. Always keep that elevator to full up elevator (or almost full) and throttle would become your altitude control. Do aileron corrections to keep wing level and use rudder to keep the tail straight. Fly the airplane in this position (Harrier), you can turn, do circle, etc. Master this maneuver. Once you do this with good control you will quickly get the feel and can move into hover.
Sorry sort of long!...... my tip but it is sort of had to put this in writing.
In the manual we describe some of the basic maneuver s of 3D. I put some tips. Take a look of them.
The VisionAire is a VERY friendly airplane, VERY stable and great handling. It would do all you ask for but in a way that would not stress you. I think you would be surprise would docile in both modes.......in general flight mode I think you would remember your T-28.
Best of luck!

Quique Somenzini
Horizon Hobby
Quique Somenzini is offline Find More Posts by Quique Somenzini
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlostomasso View Post
Very nice flying!.....thank you for sharing.

Also thank you everyone for your encouraging and appreciation words. I am glad to help. Let me go back to the board!....
Quique Somenzini is offline Find More Posts by Quique Somenzini
Last edited by Quique Somenzini; Jan 22, 2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:03 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
691 Posts
Thank You Quique!

This type of support is what the hobby is all about! You taking the time out of your busy schedule and with your work life balance to give feedback...is greatly appreciated! With you signing up and posting in this forum shows your passion and dedication to the hobby of model airplanes. The passion you have for this hobby relates to the most of us. Me personally couldn't ask for anything more. Makes me feel even more confident in purchasing the VisionAire. Don't care if this is a marketing ploy or for real but your here on the forum. Thanks for your feedback and post.
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:39 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,246 Posts
I don't for a moment think this is a marketing ploy, Quique is truly passionate about the hobby, as are other 3D plane designers, team pilots and general enthusiasts.

The hobby is number one about having fun, but it is also about improving ones skills, having goals and trying to obtain them. 3D flying is never ending in the task to get better, learn a new maneuver.........create a new one.

I think Quique, himself, would say there is always room for improving ones flying abilities and one gains a lot of satisfaction comes from helping others improve their ability.

I have a friend that is just starting out in 3D and he is going to buy one, so I will be able to fly it as well, I'm looking forwards to the chance
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:45 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,389 Posts
Just back from a flying session with the VisionAire and my CZ Yak54 and all i can say again and again is WOW!

flying the VisionAire first i put 2 batteries through it now clicking to 3D and full rates as soon as it has left the ground, i was doing so many moves today, ones i never thought i would be able to do. Anyway i next put up my Yak and flicked the rates to 100% now with no AS3X i was still flying the plane well but dropping out of my moves quicker. The VA had given me the confidence to hit the 100% as this was my first time. My biggest problem? i was giving too much elevator in the turn and causing a stall, the CZ Yak recovers easy but it was a little scary on 100% rates. The VA had defiantly helped me with confidence thats for sure, anyway after the yak was landed i then put the VA back up and i think i can see how the AS3X is helping me learn, you see it still falls out of the move if you don't hold the correct stick movement BUT! and this is the BIG BUTT! it seemed to me to be a lot slower, giving my slow learners brain time to put the right correction in and hold position not fall out, like i do with the Yak.
Now the other thing was the wind it was blowing its tits off one second then calm till the next thermal came through a few minutes later, Ya listening guys? The VisionAire didn't even know the wind was there

i got my mate to use the video for me, he got enough i think for me to put a short video together, unfortunately most of the good moves i managed he zoomed by and that cyrstal clear blue sky just won't allow the cam to lock on focus still there some good in the wind shots, i'll go start editing it now

cheers chuck

PS did i say i like this plane don't know how i am going to be able to give this one back come to think of it i think they will have to pry it from my dead body before i'm going to let this one go
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:50 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2010
98 Posts
Sim options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Buster View Post
Is there ANY plane on the Phoenix Simulator that would even come close to what this Visionaire flys like??Thanks...
I'll second this question.... I'm trying to practice in Phoenix but not sure which plane would be closest.

Wonder if a version will come out for Phoenix sim?
rsobel is offline Find More Posts by rsobel
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:03 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
I don't for a moment think this is a marketing ploy, Quique is truly passionate about the hobby, as are other 3D plane designers, team pilots and general enthusiasts.

The hobby is number one about having fun, but it is also about improving ones skills, having goals and trying to obtain them. 3D flying is never ending in the task to get better, learn a new maneuver.........create a new one.

I think Quique, himself, would say there is always room for improving ones flying abilities and one gains a lot of satisfaction comes from helping others improve their ability.

I have a friend that is just starting out in 3D and he is going to buy one, so I will be able to fly it as well, I'm looking forwards to the chance
I by no means don't for a moment think this is a marketing ploy! That was just a honest statement on the fact that someone/anyone would perceive it a a marketing ploy. I love the fact that Quique is here posting helping us that have or want to purchase the VisionAire. If you don't want this plane or don't care for it...don't come on this forum and post negative comments. Like many have said it's about having fun in the hobby. It's a great plane and I will be picking mine up on Saturday. It's all good...no worries! I'm picking up a DX18 on Saturday also so...can't wait. Just got my DX7 back from HH last week after a DSMX add-on and they replaced the Tx NIMH pack and the LCD cover at no charge! Going to be a good starter TX for my 10yr son that has just started flying. I'm in the customer service business and HH has done nothing but great service for me and the crew they have is why I've quit purchasing planes/equipment from particular vendors. Didn't mean my post as being anything negative. Sorry!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:14 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2010
10 Posts
Quique, you called it. I said it in my review and today at lunch I flew my PZ T-28 and the Visionare in low rates and non AS3X. The only difference I can see between the two is tricycle vs. conventional gear. The Visionaire is T-28 gentle in low settings. If anything, I can bounce the VisionAire in from a few feet up and the spring gear takes it well. The T-28 does not like drop in landings, shown by the epoxy fixes on my main gear!
Turkee is offline Find More Posts by Turkee
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:21 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jul 2007
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Just back from a flying session with the VisionAire and my CZ Yak54 and all i can say again and again is WOW!

flying the VisionAire first i put 2 batteries through it now clicking to 3D and full rates as soon as it has left the ground, i was doing so many moves today, ones i never thought i would be able to do. Anyway i next put up my Yak and flicked the rates to 100% now with no AS3X i was still flying the plane well but dropping out of my moves quicker. The VA had given me the confidence to hit the 100% as this was my first time. My biggest problem? i was giving too much elevator in the turn and causing a stall, the CZ Yak recovers easy but it was a little scary on 100% rates. The VA had defiantly helped me with confidence thats for sure, anyway after the yak was landed i then put the VA back up and i think i can see how the AS3X is helping me learn, you see it still falls out of the move if you don't hold the correct stick movement BUT! and this is the BIG BUTT! it seemed to me to be a lot slower, giving my slow learners brain time to put the right correction in and hold position not fall out, like i do with the Yak.
Now the other thing was the wind it was blowing its tits off one second then calm till the next thermal came through a few minutes later, Ya listening guys? The VisionAire didn't even know the wind was there ............

cheers chuck

PS did i say i like this plane don't know how i am going to be able to give this one back come to think of it i think they will have to pry it from my dead body before i'm going to let this one go
Thanks Chuck you have just justified my purchase!!! I always wanted a CZ Yak but it was always that bit too expensive (especially if it got bent) as it was always 250 - 300 here in the UK whereas I have just reserved a VisionAire for 195 only because I liked the look of it and it appears that PZ have managed to announce it and make it available in the UK all within a couple of weeks so I gave in to tmeptation. Also like the way it seems to cope with winds which we always seem to have here in London so thanks mate for the comparison. Can't wait to pick mine up in about 12 hours then I need to go fly :-)
MalcolmS is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmS